1 Question For An OEM

What area of the market do you think you can make the biggest gains on the competition?

If you as an OEM could change one rule in golf, what would it be?

Can you give us the process by which you match your clubs to a particular shaft?

Okay guys/girls, you are getting ready to meet with an OEM and will have one question that can be asked. What is it and why? THP will be with Wilson Staff in about an hour and we are going to ask them one of these questions and will give you the answer later.

So you can even tailor it, if you choose, but it could be really for any OEM. You have one question to ask any of them, and know you are going to get a 100% honest answer. What say you?

For W/S:

Some respondents in the C200 review thread have noted their concerns regarding a lack of more than basic specifications for clubs (offset, bounce angles, etc.), citing the lack of local access and the need to make an informed decision prior to buying. Do you have any plan to make more detailed specifications available to customers via the web site as opposed to posing the questions to a customer service representative?

Yes, because seeing as they are going to answer honestly, I can already tell you there answer.

Just a joke, but you do not know unless you ask haha.

Is there a technology or advancement that one of your competitors has released that blindsided everyone else?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

When researching technology what is looked at first - Distance or Forgiveness for the average golfer and market the club is being marketed to?

Since the COR max of a driver is .83 how close are they to getting .83 across the entire face of the driver (While not going over .83 on a center hit)

Any R&D boss; Is there a particular OEM out there that you secretly just want to bury, put into extinction, even if only for personal reasons.

What segment of equipment is there still the most room for improvement?

Do you hold back technology until another OEM "raises the bar" or release it in increments of a lineup of clubs?

Do you hold back technology until another OEM "raises the bar" or release it in increments of a lineup of clubs?

i asked mike yagley of cobra golf this exact question. with a release cycle that is often less than 12 months, the pressure to innovate would drive me insane, and would certainly be tempting to hold back some bells and whistles for the next iteration instead of making the current as good as it can possibly be. yagley said that pressure is there, but the marketing guys won't let the engineers do this incremental improvement deal. he said they demand the absolute best club every release cycle, with every bell and whistle they can squeeze in. i thought that was pretty cool.

How do they determine what the standard shafts are that they offer for a driver or set of irons???

If you had to move on and work for another golf company, which company would you choose?

i asked mike yagley of cobra golf this exact question. with a release cycle that is often less than 12 months, the pressure to innovate would drive me insane, and would certainly be tempting to hold back some bells and whistles for the next iteration instead of making the current as good as it can possibly be. yagley said that pressure is there, but the marketing guys won't let the engineers do this incremental improvement deal. he said they demand the absolute best club every release cycle, with every bell and whistle they can squeeze in. i thought that was pretty cool.

Awesome man, I've heard it happens in other industries. I didn't know if they did it in golf too. That would be a ton of pressure on the engineers! Probably why so many offerings don't do as well as anticipated too, there's only so many breakthroughs left at this price point.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about equipment and tech, what is the most misunderstood issue and how would you explain it so everyone can understand?

If you release a product that is considered by most who play it to be the best on the market, why is there a need to replace in a year or two?

Complex question, but what is the time frame comparison between Marketing and Engineering on bringing a new club to market? I'm sure technology wise it might be years. At what point in that time line does the Marketing team start getting involved and how long is spent on deciding and preparing the marketing side of a new launch.

As R&D for Wilson Staff, what equipment from other OEMs have you seen released that you felt was a good idea for a golf club but engineered/produced/sold wrong?

Why the name Wilson Staff? I played some Wilson clubs and putters back long ago and loved them, but the Staff part of the name just turns me off for some reason. I could maybe see something from them in my bag down the road, but........

I do like the fact they seem to stick to one color combo, like Titleist does, and I like that. Red/Black/White.

Obviously too late but I'll play.

How important do you think a fitting is prior to purchase? What steps do you as a brand take to give your consumers every chance to get fit prior to purchase?

If you had a breakthrough technology wise would you break your standard release cycle to bring it to market immediately? Why or why not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay here is the answer.

Tough question, but very interesting timing based on what is currently trending at Wilson Staff. The answer is right now we do not deviate from the current cycles. The C200 irons tested that as we know that the technology is breakthrough and the results will be extraordinary. When the design process was complete, we knew that we had something incredible on our hands and testing confirmed that despite having to make some changes because distance was climbing. So when the product was ready, it was a hurry up and wait around the offices and it was tense because of sales meetings and buyers wondering when media would be running with stories and if the buzz would be there. We know we saw the same thing with your guys at the THP Event, shortly after the irons were completed. But we stayed the course and here we are, ready to release the product and the first half of the year is going to be a fun one.

And that's why I respect the hell out of that company. Sticking to what they believe is right and not playing along with the game others are playing.

And that's why I respect the hell out of that company. Sticking to what they believe is right and not playing along with the game others are playing.
Took the words right out of my mouth Philly! I think C200 is going to generate a ton of buzz this year.

Great question and a damn honest answer!!!

Back