The Home Theater Thread

Something awesome about watching playoff football in a home theater.

Hi guys

Been a while since I posted, so thought I would update.

I am now working for the UK side of Paradigm and Anthem audio, a rather large Canadian speaker and AV manufacturer

We also supply an high end brand called Trinnov audio, and some of the best projectors in the world Sim2

So far we have done some of the biggest cinema rooms installed in the UK this year so far (lots of football and rugby players) and last year we did Roman Abramovich's yacht (totally epic)

So ask away if you have any questions!

My system has changed some what since starting! I am now running the Anthem MRX 510, and I am waiting for the new Paradigm Prestige series to come in :) My HiFi system has totally gone now as well, I am using my laptop running Tidal and I am outputting it through a Geek 1000 USB DAC

Decided to hook up my old home theater setup last night. What a pain!

In the move something has happened with my receiver and I can't get any sound unless I use an optical cable from my TV to my receiver. The coaxial cable won't work. I tried basically everything I could remember to make the receiver "look" for the coax and not only optical. No luck so far.

I want to leave my soundbar hooked up for TV and normal everyday stuff and only use surround when watching a movie with friends or something.

My soundbar connects with an optical cable and my TV only has one optical port so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Receiver is an older Denon AVR-1642 if I remember correctly. Could be a 1462 as well. Soundbar is an LG of some kind. Don't remember the model

Enjoy the setup brother.

Decided to hook up my old home theater setup last night. What a pain!

In the move something has happened with my receiver and I can't get any sound unless I use an optical cable from my TV to my receiver. The coaxial cable won't work. I tried basically everything I could remember to make the receiver "look" for the coax and not only optical. No luck so far.

I want to leave my soundbar hooked up for TV and normal everyday stuff and only use surround when watching a movie with friends or something.

My soundbar connects with an optical cable and my TV only has one optical port so I'm not sure what I'll do.

Receiver is an older Denon AVR-1642 if I remember correctly. Could be a 1462 as well. Soundbar is an LG of some kind. Don't remember the model

Edit: Some models only allow one or the other due to both being assigned to said output/input and have to be chosen in the setup menu.

Here is a inexpensive option similar to something we use to convert your toslink.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA1KT1FR2089

Last edited:
Here is a inexpensive option similar to something we use to convert your toslink.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA1KT1FR2089

I may have seriously over thought this last night.

My Blu-Ray player has an optical port on it. Couldn't I run an optical cable from my BR player to my receiver and then keep my soundbar hooked up to my TV? Then I'll get soundbar with TV and only have my surround running when the BR player is used.

I may have seriously over thought this last night.

My Blu-Ray player has an optical port on it. Couldn't I run an optical cable from my BR player to my receiver and then keep my soundbar hooked up to my TV? Then I'll get soundbar with TV and only have my surround running when the BR player is used.
Dingdingding ... multiple remotes are fun though. Then...there is also a cure for that.

Dingdingding ... multiple remotes are fun though. Then...there is also a cure for that.

I already run a 3 remote setup haha. BR player, Xfinity and soundbar. Adding a 4th for the receiver isn't a hassle. Although, for the right price I'd love one remote for everything!

Just picked up a small floating shelf to go on one of the walls.
Right now it will hold a Minion eating a banana and Darth Vader. But other stuff will be coming for sure.

Just picked up a small floating shelf to go on one of the walls.
Right now it will hold a Minion eating a banana and Darth Vader. But other stuff will be coming for sure.
I NEED to see a pic of that! That is a awesome combination to have on a shelf

I NEED to see a pic of that! That is a awesome combination to have on a shelf

It will be here in a few days. I will definitely post a picture. I think a Yoda is needed too, and possibly one more. I just do not know what.

It will be here in a few days. I will definitely post a picture. I think a Yoda is needed too, and possibly one more. I just do not know what.
If going with star wars theme, I would say storm trooper or Chewbacca

I just bought the Vizio 65" 4k TV from Sams. I am not really sure about 4k yet, but for the price I was willing to take a chance. I am ready to get my man cave made.

If going with star wars theme, I would say storm trooper or Chewbacca

Not sure. I would love to find a cool Flash or Arrow, but they are harder to find.

I just bought the Vizio 65" 4k TV from Sams. I am not really sure about 4k yet, but for the price I was willing to take a chance. I am ready to get my man cave made.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures

First time in this thread since the first few pages or so. I've seen other photos of the setup JB, but I gotta say it still is sweet!

We just have a 70" monster in the living room, no special set up. I'm quite jealous!

Very nice setup CC/JB - very functional and it looks great.

I was pretty active in home theatre about 2 to 4 years ago. We have a 120" AT (acoustically transparent) screen, HD rear projector, powered by a 7.2 active speaker system. At that time we knew that we were going to move in the next 2 years, so I didn't do any soundproofing or any acoustical treatments. Movies and music sounded fantastic!!!

We've since moved to the east coast of Canada and custom built our retirement home. During the planning phase we made space for a 19' x 30' x 9' dedicated home theatre room, with an adjoining 19' x 10' equipment/storage room. The house is completely finished except for the HT room. The room is framed to be a room within a room (double stud wall construction). The outside HT walls are finished with 5/8" drywalled, but nothing else has been done inside the room. The remaining drywall is already stored in the basement so it's ready to go.

The problem was I wanted to set it up ASAP and use it for a few months, take it down, and then complete the room. My justification at the time was that it was a year since we last used it, and I was dying to fire it up.

The speakers are setup behind the acoustically transparent screen, which is hanging from a joist. The unfinished room looks pretty rough, so that's why it's called "The Ghetto Theatre". It looks and sounds great, but it only looks good when the lights are off, and you can't see all of the joists and framing. I've promised the wife that work on the room will re-start no latter than next summer. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

If there's any interest I'll take some pictures over the weekend. Cheers.

Always interest. Throw those pictures up.

I still have plans for a room of my own like this, but it is on hold until Jens son decides to move out.....because if I made a start on it before then he would never move out!

Plus ideally I would need his room to move some other things into

For the time being the current setup will have to stay with a 40 inch TV on the wall above my PC monitor, with the PC and PS3 all connected to the amp and speakers

When you get it all done, I look forward to the pictures.

Hadn't noticed this thread before. Since two of my biggest loves are movies and music, it just fits that I have a home theater system.

7.2 Channel setup, Onkyo speakers, Pioneer receiver on to a 46" Samsung. In the future I'm wanting to go with a 65" 4k TV, Dolby Atmos speaker system, powered by Marantz processors and amps, pipe dream for now though.

1513266_10151774983460286_1957280987_n.jpg

1523215_10151787276680286_1284690088_o.jpg

Anyone have any luck with wireless surround speakers?

Anyone have any luck with wireless surround speakers?

Personally I am not a fan of them to be honest. Too many other wireless signals these days that could interfere with them in my opinion

I know some people don't have the option but I would always try to go wired whenever possible

Personally I am not a fan of them to be honest. Too many other wireless signals these days that could interfere with them in my opinion

I know some people don't have the option but I would always try to go wired whenever possible

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

First time in this thread since the first few pages or so. I've seen other photos of the setup JB, but I gotta say it still is sweet!

We just have a 70" monster in the living room, no special set up. I'm quite jealous!

So I went the cheap route on a sound system. Went with this, and while it is no top of the line setup, it is a lot better than just the TV, and is perfect for us. Best of all, it was $39 at Sam's!

Just hooks up to the RCA outputs and it's decent sound. We only have it turned up about 25% and the sub-woofer turned all the way up. Low tech, low end, but is more than we need.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/logitech-z323-2-1-pc-speaker/prod14360078.ip?navAction=

1200842_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Should have added the 2nd screen a long time ago. Watching football is awesome this way. Was able to get around the remote issue a bit with a Harmony remote and routing the main TV sound through the Zvox sound bar.

ef5d64bd60218ea305f3b123f23a1fbd.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back