What goes through your head when you miss a putt that you know you should made?

lately, it's been "SERIOUSLY? 10 feet past the hole? damn you suck." but usually it's along the line of "dangit... make it up on the next hole, i guess."

I'm not a good / great putter, so I do this a ton. Did it this morning from 4'. Usually it's a disappointed / dismayed "Oh, you GOON I stink golf hates me" then in 5 secs I tap in and think "I haven't had so many pars today I'm bored with them yet".
The misses aren't happy times, but give me a foot or 2 for par all day, I'll make out alright.

First thought is carp, and then I go into what do I need to do to get that shot back mode. Then by the next tee I'm usually good to go for my round again. I try not to think about it too much, although if I am playiong poorly that day, it tends to hang around my head a little longer than if I just had a brain fart on a good day.

i always think " how did i leave that birdie putt 6' short.....................again"

"you f*ckin idiot" and its not in my head it's very much out loud...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Damn wiener short again...

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I'll get mad at myself for a moment, usually involving a few choice 4 letter words...breathe then on to the next putt. I've been trying a lot to work on letting each shot be it's own thing and to forget the last and not think about the next. I have a harder time letting go on blown iron shots than putts so far.

I'll think "oh well" and move on. Putting is all about having the best guess to what the putt is going to do. The pros don't make them all, so why should I think I can.

Don't miss the comebacker hahaha

I try to adopt Dave Stockton's philosophy as much as I can. Simply, in order to stay postive after a missed makeable putt, blame something, anything, other than yourself. A bump in the green, the wind, the Earth's rotation, whatever.

As he says, it's just a mind-game used to keep negative thoughts at bay and to stem any ideas of blaming yourself. That way, you can approach the next putt with as clear a mind as possible.

I get a little irate for a bit but sooner or later I decide that it just gives me more practice.

It bothers me. But not to long. After you missed it, it's over there's nothing you can do about it so why sull over it?

I really see it no different than hitting an excellent drive than puking on your 2nd shot. Scold yourself for the miss and forget about it before the next shot. Common sense would dictate that you have to be present for every shot and you can't do that if you're thinking about the ones you left on the course during the round.

I'm less upset with myself if I make a good stroke and just come up short/long or lip it out than I am with a total misread.

I don't really get mad on the golf course. Can't make them all.

"This is why I'm not really good at this game"

I get really pissed when I miss short putts.

"This is why I'm not really good at this game"

I get really pissed when I miss short putts.

I'm with you; I envy they guy's that can just shrug bad shots off. Frustrates the hell out of me when I hit a poor shot.... and what goes through my head wouldn't exactly be appropriate for a family site here.

First thought is "I wonder how far I can helicopter my putter down the fairway?"

Then I just try to let it go and make sure I focus on the next putt.

I just try and figure out why I missed it. What I learned playing with Lucas is expect to make the putt. Line it up, pick a spot and roll. Keep that head down. Don't get caught up in that last missed putt. Forget about it and move on.

It all depends on why I missed it - Did I misread it? Did I make a bad stroke? Did I have a mental error? Regardless, I usually just try to think what I need to in the moment to get past it (i.e. whatever will make me feel better), and then try to block it from my mind and move forward with my round.

When I made the error, I get over it pretty quickly. When I hit something on the green that kicks it off line, those are the ones that are a little tougher for me to swallow.

First i evaluate why i missed it . Then evaluate if it's me or the putter , which it's always me . Then move on to the next green.

If I hit the putt on the line and speed that I wanted to and miss the putt, then thats just golf. If I just miss my line or my speed, I'm mad from that green until the next tee box and then I try and let it all go.

For that moment, I just try to see why I missed it (i.e., bad read, bad stroke, both) and then let it go and hit the next one. Unfortunately, for me, missed putts accumulate. Yesterday, I had the worst putting day I've ever had (40-ish putts for the round). After several 3-putts from 20 feet or less, I started thinking way too much about my putting, and that didn't help. But yea, usually it's "here's why I missed, oh shucks, let's make the next one."

I blame it on something else. I have really tried not to be negative on the course a matter of fact I don't even like playing with people that get overly negative that much anymore. It's helped me mentally so much on the course.

I used to rage.. This year has been all about laughing off the silly stuff. Golf's too awesome of a game to spend my time on course being pissed off.

I think we have two different definitions of the word "rage;" I like to use Brian Wilson's definition for partying haha.

But to answer, I try not to get too bothered by it. I'm out there to enjoy myself and the company of friends, plus I don't want to spend money to get frustrated. I just try to learn from it and go on to the next hole.

Usually what went through my head was nongolf related . Hence the miss. After, a quick talking to myself to get my head back on the course.

Back