Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Did you have the 270, 290 and tour Classic drivers available? I'm curious if they were able to find one that they could hit better than the other. I know I couldn't hit the Cleveland XL270 well but loved the SL290 last year. Glad to hear the reviews were so good.

Were they hitting the stock shaft in it, JB?

We're they hitting it with the stock shaft JB?

Yes, stock shaft in stiff or regular and everybody was using the 10.5 or 9 degree.

Do you thnk the distance gains and everything else were enough for the golfers to make the swtich?

I dont know as I left that part out on purpose for them. Their course is a multiline course so they can purchase what they like from the pro shop, but based on enthusiasm, I would say there will be some guys trying it out.

In a few weeks we are doing this with another driver (different brand) and it is a lot of fun.

Nice info, JB. Anybody with what would be considered a high swingspeed?

Yes, stock shaft in stiff or regular and everybody was using the 10.5 or 9 degree.

I dont know as I left that part out on purpose for them. Their course is a multiline course so they can purchase what they like from the pro shop, but based on enthusiasm, I would say there will be some guys trying it out.

In a few weeks we are doing this with another driver (different brand) and it is a lot of fun.

Thats pretty cool though dude. I bet its a lot less pressure too. I'd love to just show up at the range and try new equipment.

JB not sure if this was something that was noticed or not. But for the players that really loved it, did the tee the ball up high? I remember hitting this and the J40 and you telling me I needed to tee it up higher.

Nice info, JB. Anybody with what would be considered a high swingspeed?

One guy was at 114.

JB not sure if this was something that was noticed or not. But for the players that really loved it, did the tee the ball up high? I remember hitting this and the J40 and you telling me I needed to tee it up higher.

You know, I never even looked.

You know, I never even looked.

That's what I kind of figured. Not something you really pay attention to anyway.

This is one awesome looking driver!

Update on the Classic from my round today. It performed great for me all day. Finally got comfortable with it on the range last night and it showed today. My longest drive was 310 on a par 5 which left me just a little over 200 to the front of the green. Landed my next shot on and hit the eagle putt. I'm happy with the performance so far.

There was a guy in front of me on the monitor at Edwin Watts today. He was banging away with a D3 when the Cleveland guy whipped out a Classic 10.5*. He gave it a typical Turdleist snobby look, but took it anyway. After a couple different shafts and lofts, he walked out of the store with it. I LOL'd because the Titleist rep didn't look to happy.

I hit this at the huge demo day today for about 30 swing and loved it. The looks, and the performance were top notch.

Update on the Classic from my round today. It performed great for me all day. Finally got comfortable with it on the range last night and it showed today. My longest drive was 310 on a par 5 which left me just a little over 200 to the front of the green. Landed my next shot on and hit the eagle putt. I'm happy with the performance so far.

That's some good news, Schweitzer. If I remember correctly, you were struggling to get much past 240-250 with your old driver, right? It really sounds like this did something to get your spin in check.

That's some good news, Schweitzer. If I remember correctly, you were struggling to get much past 240-250 with your old driver, right? It really sounds like this did something to get your spin in check.

Yeah you are exactly right. With my z star, I felt like I was making solid contact every time but the ball would just stall in the air and fall down. Not having that issue with this driver. The ball flight is still somewhat high but it keeps going. I was flying them well over the 250 marker at the range this afternoon and now that I have a feel for the club I am hitting the center of the club face consistently. It's a great feeling and performing driver.

I would be interested to see how the stock shaft performed for you compared to your current set-up. It seems like the higher/more aggressive swingers do well with the Kusalas rather than the Kuas. Kua worked well for me, but I'm not getting up into that 110+ range.

I wanted to try the Classic w/ stock shaft but no one around me has them yet. I took a chance on the one that I bought because it was a good price, and luckily it's worked out for me. I am going to Nashville tonight and am hoping to get to a golf shop so that I can demo some clubs and possibly get fitted for the i20's. If they have the Classic with the stock shaft I'll definitely give it a shot and see what numbers I can come up with.

That would be very cool if you could for sure. I can think of a couple MC guys that may find that useful.

Hopefully they stay open until at least 6 or so as I won't get into Nashville until then.

Well no bueno on the testing tonight. The golf store I was hoping to visit decided it would be a good idea to close at 5 30 and I didn't get into town until 6 or so. Too bad for them, I was going to order some i20's too.

Well no bueno on the testing tonight. The golf store I was hoping to visit decided it would be a good idea to close at 5 30 and I didn't get into town until 6 or so. Too bad for them, I was going to order some i20's too.

ouch. Well good things come to those who wait...too bad all of us aren't usually that good at waiting, hehe.

That sucks! I was waiting patiently.

I just don't understand how a golf shop would benefit by closing right about the time that most people get off work and have time to drive there. Seems like you would be losing business with those hours.

That store is lame, Schweitzer!

I'm jealous of all of you that have these right now.

That store is lame, Schweitzer!

I'm jealous of all of you that have these right now.

You will in time, Hawk. Should be getting out today with the Classic solely in my bag - haven't played a round in over a week, and I'm getting withdrawal.

Good luck out there, Nate!

You will in time, Hawk. Should be getting out today with the Classic solely in my bag - haven't played a round in over a week, and I'm getting withdrawal.

I feel you man. Hit em straight.

Back