An Unusual Round - Have You Ever Had One?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
Something weird happened in a tournament today. I lost 7 balls into the wilderness. I couldn't use driver for the first 13 holes to save my life.

But I got up and down to save bogey 5 times. I was 3 for 3 in greenside sand saves, including a Sandy Par, all from man-high pot bunkers. This was unusual because I was barely decent from bunkers.

My 3W, wedges and putter saved my skin countless times. I three-putted only once.

In spite of the lousy driving, I never made anything higher than double bogey. Then finally my driver worked on the 13th hole, and I didn't see trouble since.

I don't want yet to think about what my score would have been without the 7 balls into the jungle, but on any day I'll take my tournament Personal Best of 91, my lowest score in 3 years.

I'm sure there was a lot of luck involved in that round.

My question is, have you had a round where you almost couldn't explain what was going on, for worse or for better?

Last edited:
Everyone has a bad day now and then, along with the good ones. Even the world class professionals can win one week and miss the cut the next. Golf is day to day.

Sounds like every other round of golf for me. Triple the drivable par 4 then birdie the toughest rated hole.

As soon as I think I've got this game figured out, it reminds me that I've got a lot to learn!!

Been there on both the good and bad sides...
Unfortunately the bad more often, looking for a lot better consistencyy in 2016!

Had a day like that a few weeks ago. I couldn't advance the ball without a wild slice. Posted the worst score I've shot in forever.

A lot of people here told me to step away for a week or so and then get back to it. I put the clubs away for a week, only grabbing them to feel the weight of the club in my hands... and then I went back to work this week with some range time. It seems to have worked itself out, so... I got some good advice!

It has been this way for me since I had the head injury in Colombia a few weeks ago, last 2 rounds before the fall 77 / 79 since then I cannot get below 85 on the same course. Not sure if it a depth perception thing or what.

So of course my solution is to blame it on the clubs /shafts and change something.

One that comes to mind was an extra round after the Indy invitational in 2014. i started off playing great hitting just about every fairway and green on the front 9 shooting a -1 35 then on the back i couldn't get out of my own way hardly hit any greens. On the last hole i was going to go for the green on a par five but chunked my 3w and ended up laying up to 100yds didnt hit a great approach to 20 ft. then drained a curling put that would have went 15 ft by the hole if it didnt go in for a 79. The definition of an up and down round.

I've seen this before. Had a round where I didn't make a single birdie with the putter, but I holed out for birdie and shot a 1 under 35 on the front nine. I ended up shooting a 75, but I got up and down all over the place and never once 3 putted, just never made a birdie putt. Could have been a REALLY great round if I'd had made any of the 10 or so shots at it that I had.

Shot a 43 on the front 9 then chunked my way to a 61 on the back for a 104 once. :banghead:

In the weekly senior blitz last year I shot 41 on the front and then caught lightening in a bottle and shot 30 on the back. It equaled my personal best and was 4 shots better on the back than any previous 9 in my life.

Today is a perfect example.

Never have I ever played in such extreme conditions. 25 - 35mph winds, 50 mph gusts. Let me tell you, it was always gusting. To give you perspective, on a par 5 I regularly hit Driver, 2 iron into I hit Driver, 3 wood (both pured) and I still had 75 yards in.

It was frustrating because the ball was oscillating and rolling past the hole on almost every hole we played. Somehow though, I had 13 one putts.... but I also had three 3 putts.

One of the three putts a gust of wind hit the ball and threw it offline. The other two were just very poor strokes. Those came close to the end of my round. I think I got into my head because I was surprised how well I was doing. I missed a 1 footer for 74 on the last.

75 with 26 putts in a hurricane.

Bizarre... such good putting and still all of those 3 putts.

Oh and once I had 7 birdies and shot even par. That was pretty wild too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

you should talk to jordan about his unusual round yesterday.

An Unusual Round - Have You Ever Had One?

Two weeks ago, e1iterate and I played in a 2 man scramble... We warmed up on the back range together, and we were both blistering the ball... I even committed that we were going to score well...

Then we got on the course, after bogey on our opening hole (16- easiest par 4 on the course), I proceeded to shank my tee shot on the next hole... I caught the shanks... Half way through the round, looked at e1iterate and said, "I'm lost, I have no idea how to fix it, and I'm on the verge of mentally checking out of this round..."

We laughed, and grinded and gutted out a 78...

I met my golf pro immediately after the round... He fixed me up, but it was touch and go there during the round...

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Two rounds ago was weird. My fade off the tee that has been around recently got significantly worse and it was really bothering me mentally. Played a course I didn't know and lost 3 balls in the water (two on one hole). Every other iron shot was fat. Got to the 11 hole, a Par 4 dogleg right around water and hit my tee shot and made the green... the 12th green, way right over the water. By then I was done mentally. Decided to go for the pin on the Par 3 12th, the pin meant really challenging the water. Figured I'd already hit the green once so fired at it. Great shot but the green wouldn't hold. Ended up with a bogey. The next hole allowed me to pull driver again so I figured I'd just "hit the heck out of it." Swung harder on the downswing and hit a great drive, little to no fade. After that I continued to drive the ball well and my scoring improved some (kept hitting my wedge approach shots long). I mean I was really driving the ball well, even when my partners were taking less club to take trouble out of play I just went for it.

I've broken 100 four times in my life, so far. I had two 99s, a 95,and this round at the Mohawk River Golf Course in Rexford, NY, This is a 37-36-73 layout, 6,490 yards from the whites. I shot a 50 on the front - a good nine for me, but nothing spectacular. But on the back nine, my irons clicked. My drives were long and usually in the rough, but I still managed seven GIRs, yielding six pars, three bogeys, and a 39: 50-39-89. That round is to my game what Bob Beamon's 28 ft plus long jump was in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics - an outlier. My goal for this year is to give that round some company.

My weirdest round ever was 20something years ago in our first organized family tournament. It was on a Par 70 course, 35 front and back. I shot a gutwrenching 14 over on the front, and then a -1 on the back, for an 49/34=83. I finished second behind cousin Bob, who shot an 82. That was a weird one.

On a side note, My dad won the next ~10 tournaments after that, and then I won the next ~10 after him. Then I had to miss one and forfeit the trophy... back to my dad. We haven't held the tournament in a few years now, as interest in it has waned. Used to have 30 people in it. Now we can't get a group at all. (Perhaps that is partly due to my dad and I always winning...)

Back