Golf Magazine - +50 Masters - Good Idea?

RADARTIME

Reaction score
Handicap
I saw a poll question in Golf Magazine about whether or not readers would like to see a 50+ version in addition to the regular Masters. I like the idea, seeing that MANY of the former Masters Champions are now on the Champions Tour. What do you think?

I don't see why that would be needed since the former Masters champs still play anyway...at least until such age at which they really can't compete anyway.

Also, Augusta National probably wouldn't allow it. I'm pretty sure they have shot down a Ladies Masters several times.

As much as it would be cool to see a "Champions Tour" version of the Masters, I'd think that Augusta National wouldn't want another tourney there for logistics alone - I'm sure a club as exclusive as that only wants the spotlight once every year.

The reason the masters is so special is because its only 1 week per year. Old guys still play anyways. I dont want it more than that because it takes away from my appreciation for that one week of the year. Thats why Im not a fan of playing Augusta on the video game very much.

They could do it, but it's likely that very few would watch.

What some people are missing is that Tiger is a huge driving force every April. He moves the needle, take him out of it, and Hawk is very right.

I also agree that it would sort of take a bit of the mystique out the event to have a second-run version. Nothing against the old guys, but they had their time.

I think it would be cool to see as a 1 time thing, or every 5 years or so. Really maybe just have them play the back 9. Move the tees up so the course doesn't kill them with yardages. Kind of like what they were going to do for the Open Championship at St. Andrews with having former champions play. It would be fun to see Jack, Player, Arnie, Casper, Zoeller, Watson etc have a fun afternoon.

They could mix in all Players over 50 with the normal Tournament Field. Another Tournament would not be neccessary. You could be watching a Tournament within a Tournament.

They could mix in all Players over 50 with the normal Tournament Field. Another Tournament would not be neccessary. You could be watching a Tournament within a Tournament.

Augusta National would be so swamped with trying this, though. Plus it would have to be the best players that are 50+, rather than ALL players over 50, just so that Augusta doesn't get completely torn up. I don't think the top 50 in the world would be too happy if they had double the amount of divots out there to contend with on their tee shots.

Not for me. The Champions Tour needs to be respected in it's own right, and not turned into a side show. Also, it would lessen the magic of this one week for the regular event.

Sounds like the old Super Seniors that the SrPGA Tour used to do for guys over 60. Still don't think it adds anything to the event, and in fact would be a distraction from the main event.

What about an "Old Timers Day?" Just an idea. I think the par 3 is great for highlighting all the old-heads and past champions that stil want to play but can't keep up with the young bucks.

Back