Am I insane for thinking that I could be a LH scratch golfer in 3 years?

Josh-XL

Reaction score
Handicap
+1.5
This question is absurdly terrifying because I actually believe that this would be possible.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Just looking at your +1.5 handicap, i think you could. I thought a 0 handicap was scratch?

Who am I to call you crazy.

Just looking at your +1.5 handicap, i think you could. I thought a 0 handicap was scratch?
I read it as he's a RH scratch and wants to know if he could turn around as a lefty and become scratch from thst side as well.

I am never one to tell someone they can't do something. I say he you can, you obviously already have the talent. It's just learning how to use that talent in a different direction.

If you can do it then you are a lot more coordinated than me. I have tried swinging left handed and it is comical.

I guess when one is a +1.5 capper, one must come up with new ideas. Like so many others I can only wish this were to be a problem. But I wish you luck if you try.
As for doing anything lefty, I cant even go to the bathroom lefty.

I've wondered if it might almost be easier to learn to play backwards from what you might think, that way you'd be less inclined to try to overpower the swing with your arms. I'm not going to give it a shot though :)

If you are athletic and coordinated and want to put the time in, I would think you could definitely do it.

I have no chance, as I have been playing for 10 years+ and I am not even close to scratch from my "good" side.

Assuming you are currently golfing right handed, are you THAT bored that you want to become ambidextrous?

My concern would be if it had any negative affects on my right handed game which would still be my dominant side.

I also think that this could be done.

I posted earlier this week that I'd like to play a round LH and see how far I could get.

If you have a regular job, then no you can't. But I need video and certainty you haven't swung left handed before. If that's the case I'm ready to place a bet!

ken

It's a bit out there but some people just have it. I remember reading Harvey Pennick saying that Ben Crenshaw was so gifted he could play scratch left handed if he wanted to.

No I don't think it can be done.

Are you ambidextrous? If so then maybe

I believe golf instructor Shawn Clement (wisdomingolf.com) plays at scratch both left and right handed.

Maybe I'm old school. Well, I guess I am old school. If you truly want to do something and believe you can do it. Than by all means do it

no need to mention this on an open forum waiting for people that are basically complete unknowns to approve it. Go do it , and I hope you reach your goal

I remember talk that Vijay Singh was close to scratch as a lefty. As I said up thread, if you are athletic, coordinated and have the time/desire to do so I would not bet against it.

The vast majority of us could not do it, but then again most of us can't get to scratch or better from one side let alone 2.

This question is absurdly terrifying because I actually believe that this would be possible.

Could be done with a lot of sweat and time, but why? Personally I would much better get back to being a +3.5, or take up some other hobby like fly fishing, than being a scratch lefty and righty. IMO, getting your index down to a +3.5 or +4.0 is a much tougher and more worthwhile accomplishment than also playing to a scratch left handed. Put another way, would you rather have a scoring average of 73 or 70.5.

Last edited:
If you are athletic and coordinated and want to put the time in, I would think you could definitely do it.

I have no chance, as I have been playing for 10 years+ and I am not even close to scratch from my "good" side.

Being athletic doesn't make anyone great at golf. Just ask Michael Jordan or many other pro athletes who cant come close to scratch let alone pro. I know plenty non athletic guys who have a really good game and conversely plenty of athletic guys who have a horrible game.

Being athletic doesn't make anyone great at golf. Just ask Michael Jordan or many other pro athletes who cant come close to scratch let alone pro. I know plenty non athletic guys who have a really good game and conversely plenty of athletic guys who have a horrible game.

Being athletic will not make any one great at golf, but it definitely doesn't hurt. Last I checked, Jordan was a 3 handicap, I know that is miles away from being scratch:alien:

By no means am I ambidextrous. And would have A LONG way to go in 3 years. I think if I played 18 tomorrow I could break 100. This "thought" all started a week ago when I was looking for something kill time with at the course until the last group finished. I went to the chipping green with a LH wedge and noticed I could almost hit all the shots. Just for fun I moved back to about 50 yards and that's when I started to feel a good down swing sequence. Can't repeat it with the longer clubs (shoulders just don't turn to well in that direction)

Anyways, It's kinda cool to teach technique to myself the way I teach it to others.

Could be done with a lot of sweat and time, but why? Personally I would much better get back to being a +3.5, or take up some other hobby like fly fishing, than being a scratch lefty and righty.
I think I'll touch +3.5 next year ?

But Im not around a lot of good players anymore so even if I could be a 10 cap playing games LH with them would be fun.

Am I insane for thinking that I could be a LH scratch golfer in 3 years?

My local club pro told me that he started as a lefty but reached some kind of plateu at appr 2hcp. He then changed to RH and played down to same hcp in 3 years (and then down to scratch), so I would say, yes, you can probably do it with a lot of work. myself i can hardly hit a ball from left...on the other hand i have quite high hcp from the right as well

Last edited:
Mac O'Grady

Being athletic will not make any one great at golf, but it definitely doesn't hurt. Last I checked, Jordan was a 3 handicap, I know that is miles away from being scratch:alien:

And that's after spending enormous amounts of time and money. Being athletic actually may hurt. We just don't know.
Having certain given athletic skill sets at some things might actually work against other things which require different skill sets and coordination's not to mention the ability to repeat them again and again. We all can and have hit a great shot but the biggest differences for every single one of us including tour pros is how often can we repeat them. No one ever said "I cant play this game good because I am athletic" but truth is we will just never know that.

Back