Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

About freaking time ST!

Indeed. I shall have some interesting thoughts on them after this weekend I do believe.

I'm way jealous Tuna. Just in time for weekend golf eh! Were you waiting long?

A decent spell but my order was a huge PITA to Ping. Custom shafts (CTaper), grips (VDR), swing weight (C9), length adjustment (-1/4") and sole grinds (Tour). I certainly understand why it took a bit, though that didn't make me any less antsy to get them.

How about that ST, grats!

Cheers Griff! Looking forward the destroying some grass with them shortly.

I simply cannot hold back my enthusiasm for these irons anymore, even at the risk of being labeled a Ping homer (though I've only owned a driver, fairway, putter and two sets of irons out of a ton of clubs in 20 years of golf). I have now played 5 rounds with my new, all Ping bag and averaged 79.2, almost 4 strokes better then the 83 I've averaged on the same course over many, many rounds. Shot 77 yesterday with 3 double bogeys (primarily mental error and two on 16 & 17 - ouch) and two birdie lip outs - first time I ever truly thought I could break 70 (73 is my lowest ever on a par 71/72). There is simply no denying these are a great fit for me and I am seeing the results - the irons and the G20 driver (sorry to highjack, but this driver is insane for me) are just game changers. But the coolest thing of all, I think, is that I used to like playing golf, now I can't wait to play golf.

For the record, there is just a lot of really good equipment out there, let's face it. In a perfect world, if everyone could try every combination of every manufacturer in a fitting session, I'm pretty sure there would be at a least a couple options for each type of club that would work just fine. Just so happens Ping works for me and I don't think I've ever had an entire bag from one manufacturer - BTW, do I have to buy a Ping bag to qualify?

But the coolest thing of all, I think, is that I used to like playing golf, now I can't wait to play golf.

BTW, do I have to buy a Ping bag to qualify?

A: That is just a telling statement right there.
B: Yes. And a crazy flat brimmed hat in neon green or a silly Visor. And you must scourer Ebay to make a small collection of the old Ping golf balls.

I simply cannot hold back my enthusiasm for these irons anymore, even at the risk of being labeled a Ping homer (though I've only owned a driver, fairway, putter and two sets of irons out of a ton of clubs in 20 years of golf). I have now played 5 rounds with my new, all Ping bag and averaged 79.2, almost 4 strokes better then the 83 I've averaged on the same course over many, many rounds. Shot 77 yesterday with 3 double bogeys (primarily mental error and two on 16 & 17 - ouch) and two birdie lip outs - first time I ever truly thought I could break 70 (73 is my lowest ever on a par 71/72). There is simply no denying these are a great fit for me and I am seeing the results - the irons and the G20 driver (sorry to highjack, but this driver is insane for me) are just game changers. But the coolest thing of all, I think, is that I used to like playing golf, now I can't wait to play golf.

For the record, there is just a lot of really good equipment out there, let's face it. In a perfect world, if everyone could try every combination of every manufacturer in a fitting session, I'm pretty sure there would be at a least a couple options for each type of club that would work just fine. Just so happens Ping works for me and I don't think I've ever had an entire bag from one manufacturer - BTW, do I have to buy a Ping bag to qualify?

Know what you mean JK. They've gotten me over the hump and allowed me to simply play better in the short time I've had them.

And yes you need to have a bag to be a total homer!

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?26430-PING-Golf-Bag-Forum-Testing-Thread

Nice Griff! I do have an old Hoofer 2 bag I'll use to get over the goal line until proper pondering can occur for a new bag (need DawgDaddy to step up big for me on this in the Deals/Coupons thread).

Know what you mean JK. They've gotten me over the hump and allowed me to simply play better in the short time I've had them.

And yes you need to have a bag to be a total homer!

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?26430-PING-Golf-Bag-Forum-Testing-Thread

LOL, ST - and I assume C: grow a white goatee like Karsten

A: That is just a telling statement right there.
B: Yes. And a crazy flat brimmed hat in neon green or a silly Visor. And you must scourer Ebay to make a small collection of the old Ping golf balls.

Awesome to hear man. PING makes some excellent equipment.

LOL, ST - and I assume C: grow a white goatee like Karsten

Your choice. It's recommended but not a requirement. It might earn you a extra lapel pin though
:angel:

There's a Demo Day at a local golf course tomorrow, and the Ping van will be there. I like the makeup of my current bag, but everyone's reviews and comments on the i20 irons have me extremely intrigued.
I think I'll need to try out the i20 irons, get a fitting, and we'll see what happens after that.

Played with the HS golf team (only 4 of them this time) yesterday, was a great freaking day. It was one of those while sitting at work I just felt like it would be a good swing day and I needed to get out...with the irons at least, it was and I'm glad I did.

REFERENCE LINKS:
  • Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE
  • Second Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Third Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 4/5/12
Played: 18 Holes
Weather: 64* and Overcast, minimal winds.

Round Rundown:
  • 39 (+3) + 40 (+4) = 79
  • 12/18 GIR's

Hole 1:
Par 4 - 371 - 5
  • PW from 115 out that I absolutely crushed. So much so I flew the green leaving a 10 yard pitch coming back. Terrible club selection as the UW would have been the number.
  • LW from 10 yards out of a fluffy lie so I opened the sucker up to the short sided pin, dropped it to within 5 feet (only rolled out a foot and a half). Too bad it was an omen of the day and me not being able to putt for crap.

Hole 2:
Par 3 - 157 - 3
  • 8i into a front pin location, playing right at 157 (nice playing with someone with a range finder). Just a smooth feeling swing with the contact feel and sound where you knew it was a good one before looking up. Landed 8 feet from the pin but literally took a left hop HARD on the aeration holes leaving me 17 feet.

Hole 3:
Par 5 - 457 - 4
  • 4i from 200 out in the middle of the fairway. Nutted it, and I mean nutted it. Landed front left and ended up 22 feet for and eagle chance.

Hole 4:
Par 4 - 396 - 4
  • PW from the fairway at 130 out. Left this one open a bit and it faded to the right edge. Literally caught the green by an inch, I'll take it happily. Left me 29 feet.

Hole 5: Par 4 - 409 - 5
  • PW from 125 out into the breeze. Again, just like on the first hole I should have taken a UW as I cleared the green with a towering wedge shot. It at least caught backside fringe and stopped leaving a putt-wedge.

Hole 6:
Par 4 - 370 - 5
  • After taking the Fybrid from the tee I took 8i from 145 yards out in the middle of the fairway.
  • I was trapping the ball REALLY well at this point and did so again with the 8i here, pure contact going at the back pin, hit about 4 feet from the back edged and ended up rolling off and down into a little rounded catch all area. Again too much club and I should have played the 9i here to the middle of the damn green.

Hole 7: Par 3 - 166 -
  • Took 8i as it was playing to the back portion of the green. Best feeling swing and contact all day, the ball hit 4 feet to the right of the cup and ended up only a foot from that spot. Even the kids thought it looked like it had a chance for a minute. Peeeeetty.

Hole 8:
Par 4 - 418 - 5
  • LW from 40 yards out. Super short sided and on top of a fluffy bermuda rough lie so I opened it up and took a full swing. Actually landed it about 6 feet to the left of the hole but it took a left hop on the punch holes and left me 15 on the first putt.

Hole 9:
Par 5 - 530 - 5
  • No irons used here and chipped with a putter.

Hole 10: Par 3 - 170 - 3
  • 7i here to a tweener front/middle pin. I've come a long way in my swing with these since the start. Trouble is on three sides of this one (water is on the front, left, and back) so I actually started off right to draw it back in....and I did. Pretty arcing draw that dropped to the middle of the green and left 15 for birdie.
Hole 11: Par 5 - 494 - 6
  • UW third shot form 120 out, right number, wrong swing. Never closed the face on the club and ended up right of the green after the HARD fade on the ball.
  • Chipped with the Fybrid on a dare form the kids.

Hole 12:
Par 5 - 491 - 6
  • 4 this time from about 210 out in the middle of the fairway, green is pretty downhill with water all across the front. Pin in back so I'd rather be long than wet. No worries, I left the face open AGAIN and had that hard power fade. Thank goodness it stayed dry.
  • LW from about 15 yards. Needed to leave it on the top tier where the pin was but this time slammed the face shut and ended up on the surface still but well left and on the bottom tier.

Hole 13:
Par 4 - 353 - 5
  • SW from 120. Lie was tight and I proceeded to hit the fattest shot I think I ever have with the i20's. I'm talking dig a tunnel fat. Ball managed 80 yards for me despite catching only the top 3 grooves and hurting like hell. Falling apart.
  • LW from 40. After 4 straight bad balls I just set my feet and swung, good tempo, trapped it well, great divot, left me 9 feet for par...that I would miss.

Hole 14:
Par - 4 - 410 - 4
  • UW from 126 out, STRIPED it. Best divot all day too, tight and pretty. Yessir. Dropped it to 20 feet left of the pin with a hop and stop.
  • Pretty sure I was lined up left though since I had the fit of leaving the face open for a couple holes, I know its the wrong way to correct that but in the moment its what I did lol

Hole 15:
Par 4 - 426 - 3
  • The best results all day, thought not the best feeling swing....
  • 9i from 140 out, pin was back middle so I swung hard instead of just staking the smooth 8. I kid you not it landed 3 inched right of the cup, ended up with a 4 footer for birdie.

Hole 16:
Par 4 - 370 - 4
  • SW from 100 out to an uphill green. Fat. Grr. Left it about 10 yards short of the hole. At least it was straight.
  • LW chip/pitch. Opened it up and took a mini-flop (yes, instead of a smart and easy shot) to two feet. The LW continues to impress me.

Hole 17:
Par 3 - 169 - 4
  • 6i to a middle pin. Too much club but with the pretty little draw it had the ball managed to literally hold about 6 inches from the back of the green. Another GIR! But, with a 45 foot putt.

Hole 18:
Par 4 - 414 - 5
  • 7i from 150 because the green is uphill as hell here. Must not have quite closed the face as I had a fade to it that left me right side off the green by 5 feet. The distance was right, the swing was not, still a solid result though.

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

Ball Flight:
Every time I hit the i20's I have found myself just sitting and feeling proud of the ball flight as it launches off the face. Even on the mishits like the fatties or when my dumb ass doesn't close the face properly the ball just launches off the face with every single one of the irons 4-LW. Most impressively for me is still the flight of the 4i, I never ever ever thought I could hit a 4i until this testing. Maybe I'm over-emphatic about the 4i because of that, but I can't get over how easy it has been for me to get up in the air consistently.

Feel:
Throw whatever descriptor words you want in here because I keep coming up with way too many. Plush, full, tremendous, explosive, responsive, they all work and they all come to my mind on the feel. Frankly, the feel reminds me a ton of what I used to get from my old 3DX Pro's except much more explosive feeling when the ball launches off of the face. I just really like it all, they feel long but at the same time they feel responsive to what you want to do with the ball. Put a repeatable swing on them and they will just work for you.

Distance:
Other than a couple instances that were due to me being a complete stubborn ass mule early in the round (and costing myself a couple GIR's) because I expect them to be shorter than they are, the distance is wonderful in the i20's, enough so that they surprise me when I think back to my 2.0 distances. I still can't get over them being right on pace with what I saw in the 2.0's personally. I also love that its starting to show for me how willing the clubs are to respond to taking a little off of them and even getting on them a little harder. It doesn't have to be over-thought to get what you want out of them, I'm sure that makes no sense, but id does in my warped head.

Forgiveness:

I had a good day on the whole for the round so there isn't a ton to add here that I haven't already. They again will amaze by still giving those solid results on swings that are a bit off. I do want to again emphasize though that a bad swing is a bad swing and there is no club that will fix something that is really truly bad. But, if you have a quasi consistent swing, I think these will (and have been) amaze many in this category.

General Thoughts:
It's just really really fun to get out and about with these every single round. On day or off day I know that if I will just let the i20's work, they will. I'm still stopping short of just flat out gushing incessantly about them but honestly its how I feel (hell, they've made me try MORE PING stuff). These are REALLY good. PING has put together a tremendous model that just all around does its job really really well. I think its telling in how many people have gone out and hit them and then ordered immediately or soon thereafter. Its obviously telling that PING is SWAMPED with i20 orders, that means something is going right (duh?). Frankly, I wish alot of the people who just don't "like" the way PING's look would just give them a try, I think they'd be shocked.

LOVE your reviews, Jman. You can feel the excitement between the lines, and I can almost visualize your round.

LOVE your reviews, Jman. You can feel the excitement between the lines, and I can almost visualize your round.

Thanks Rob, it means alot!

Once again, Jman - a great write up. Thanks for taking the time to talk shop. You know us THP's enjoy reading your posts and I KNOW Ping is enjoying them as well.

Once again, Jman - a great write up. Thanks for taking the time to talk shop. You know us THP's enjoy reading your posts and I KNOW Ping is enjoying them as well.

Thank you!!!!

Hey guys, I had my Ping nFlight fitting yesterday and posted about it in the Fitting forum. Feel free to read it over and let me know what you think.

thanks
Mike

Jman, well done! I've experienced everything you have. What's amazing is the i20s opened up lower scoring without messing with my swing. I think being fit and using Ping WRX helped me a lot. Everything is a little straighter, a little closer to the pin, just a little better in anything I've hit in an iron.

Have 18 tomorrow morning, going to give the kunckleheads I play with a chance to swing them.

you guys peer pressured me into it too, just ordered a set of i20's at the demo day at the local course today

I kept going back trying the G20, making sure it wasn't my ego pushing me towards the i20, but I just hit them better than the g20's.

Jman, well done! I've experienced everything you have. What's amazing is the i20s opened up lower scoring without messing with my swing. I think being fit and using Ping WRX helped me a lot. Everything is a little straighter, a little closer to the pin, just a little better in anything I've hit in an iron.

Have 18 tomorrow morning, going to give the kunckleheads I play with a chance to swing them.

Thanks Griff!!

you guys peer pressured me into it too, just ordered a set of i20's at the demo day at the local course today

I kept going back trying the G20, making sure it wasn't my ego pushing me towards the i20, but I just hit them better than the g20's.

I think you'll be pleased, sooooo good. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get them in, be sure to share!

Sorry if I skimmed over this, but I noticed KJ Choi now has these in his bag. He didn't make the cut at The Masters, but its interesting because he plays pretty much whatever irons seem to be working for him. Just a couple weeks ago he was playing the 588 CBs.

Excellent! and congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy your new sticks.
I've played two different sets of irons in the past year, and really like the ones I'm currently gaming. But I've wanted Ping irons for awhile now and the i20 is the first one that I felt I could love long term. We'll see, I'm still on the fence and haven't jumped off like you just did.

Another great review Jman! It is obvious that you are hitting these extremely well, especially when you are hitting 4 irons like you have been sharing.

Frustrating missing GIR's due to doubting the distance of these. It is really hard to commit to a club going as far as you would LIKE, but many of us rarely actually see. Difference is that you are actually seeing those distance gains. No doubt that more time and trust will help with that, keep up the great work!

Another great review Jman! It is obvious that you are hitting these extremely well, especially when you are hitting 4 irons like you have been sharing.

Frustrating missing GIR's due to doubting the distance of these. It is really hard to commit to a club going as far as you would LIKE, but many of us rarely actually see. Difference is that you are actually seeing those distance gains. No doubt that more time and trust will help with that, keep up the great work!

Thanks Cookie, means alot coming from ya buddy.

Big time on the distances, its just more time to feel out my gaps all the way. I personally like longer than I thought rather than shorter haha.

Jman, I assume the HS golf team is playing i20s, as well, or do you have some teaching to do?

Played with the HS golf team (only 4 of them this time) yesterday, was a great freaking day. It was one of those while sitting at work I just felt like it would be a good swing day and I needed to get out...with the irons at least, it was and I'm glad I did

Jman, I assume the HS golf team is playing i20s, as well, or do you have some teaching to do?

Hahaha, not quite. They all love their titleist muscle back blades too much apparently. Like talking to a wall on clubs, putters, and balls with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman, another incredibly great review. You have me wanting to hit these irons really bad.

Back