digusting etiquette or habits on the course

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Not the most pleasant thing to bring up but...

Not really in terms of bad behavior because they guy wasn't at all rude or anything like that and was actually quite friendly but I just have to share something that's been on my mind for over a year. I never seen anything like it before nor since and can never quite shake the thought of it and is one of the most disgusting habits imo I ever witnessed. I need to share it

You know how someone may spit on their hands to grip something? whether its licking fingers to grab paper or something worse you might see from a kid or in a movie. well...let me tell you what I had the pleasure of viewing for an entire round of golf.

I played (as a single) and as usual get paired with many. This one round I was paired with a 3some and one of the players would literally spit on each hand every single time before he would grip a club. This seriously went on right from the first tee all the way through his last chip shot on 18. Every single pre shot for every shot without exception you would see and/or hear (forgive my made up spelling..lol) but hear a ptho from one hand, then a pthoa for the other hand, even from the oposit side of the fairway and then a clap n rub of his hands together and then grab the club. I kid you not this was the scene the entire round for every single one of his shots. I never ever seen something this disgusting.

To admit... I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobe for personal hygiene and also believe strongly in things like making sure there is a serving spoon in serving food dishes so no one uses their own used forks in the main serving plates. So perhaps this is just me being a bit too over the top here but I found this to be quite disgusting and rather disturbing. I was sure after the round to never shake his hand. And to be honest, other than the fact that he was a nice guy I didn't want to even be too near to him. I got the image of him spitting in his hands all day burnt in my mind. feels good to finally let it out and share it into your heads...lol...but it wasn't really funny :( Just never witnessed such a disgusting habit (or if we can call it etiquettes) while playing.

Last edited:
That's pretty bad.

That's gross and the kid was probably a baseball player that saw some ballplayer do it. So now they spit on their hands whenever they grab a handle

You shake his hand after the round?

I wouldn't have shaken his hand after the round either!

Bad nasty habits:

Spitting sunflower seeds on the green, tee, or the golf cart bubby hole. (Any spitting of anything in those places)
Flipping your cigarette on the green.

That's gross and the kid was probably a baseball player that saw some ballplayer do it. So now they spit on their hands whenever they grab a handle

This was an adult and not young perhaps 40's or so.

How about peeing in the open?

to try to make some light of the situation.....it reminds me of this guy
pig%20pen_zpsml7uy7af.jpg

I spit on my golf ball and use my fingers to get rid of smudges all the time.

How about peeing in the open?

that's bad too but so is peeing in general but at least that stuff is only once. this went on every shot. I still cant believe his friends said nothing to him. I wasn't about to risk a problem with the 3 of them but I came very close a few times to trying to nicely say something

I spit on my golf ball and use my fingers to get rid of smudges all the time.

not exactly the best move either imo. But even that doesn't seem quite as obnoxious as what this guy was doing and the way he went about it so loudly and well displayed constantly all round long . But still imo if that's your routine perhaps I could suggest you should consider a different one like bringing a damp rag with you.

I used to play with a guy who would blow his nose, by pressing a finger to one nostril and blowing..... mainly while on the teeboxes with everyone standing around.

Probably the only other gross thing I have encountered is chewing tobacco spit..... you get used to it working with three guys who use chewing tobacco all day every day.

People that put their golf ball in their mouth or bite it for any reason. I've seen people bite their golf ball for some reason (like checking cover softness mid-way during a round or something) and I've seen someone literally lick their golf ball to clean it.

I got a small amount of poison oak rash on my non-gloved hand after apparently having the ball find some in the rough at some point in the day. There is no way I'm transferring that or pesticides/chemicals to my mouth by way of a golf ball.

I used to play with a guy who would blow his nose, by pressing a finger to one nostril and blowing.....

Ahh, the old "snot rocket".

If I catch someone spitting on something during the round (hands, ball, club), I find it incredibly unlikely that I offer my hand for a shake post round.

Maybe a fist bump, but that's disgusting.

People that put their golf ball in their mouth or bite it for any reason. I've seen people bite their golf ball for some reason (like checking cover softness mid-way during a round or something) and I've seen someone literally lick their golf ball to clean it.

I got a small amount of poison oak rash on my non-gloved hand after apparently having the ball find some in the rough at some point in the day. There is no way I'm transferring that or pesticides/chemicals to my mouth by way of a golf ball.
I know a guy who does this, I asked him one time how the turkey piss tasted, (we see them on the course all the time) I don't think he has done it since then.

That's pretty bad, but I'd take a guy like that all day long over one who doesn't fix ball marks. I guess that's my pet peeve when it comes to bad golf etiquette, really irks me.

Up here there are times the courses can get pretty loaded with geese droppings. Sometimes even confused with fairway aeration plugs. Anyway we gotta be somewhat careful what touches the mouth. Some people just don't get that kind of stuff.

I'm getting super tired of the sunflower shells on the greens the last 2nrounds I've played on public courses. Nothing ticks me off like having to remove shells with fresh saliva on them.

When I don't have water available ill spit on my club face and wipe it with a towel to get it free of dirt. Never thought it was disgusting, but I guess many in this thread will think so. Kind of getting self conscious about it now

When I don't have water available ill spit on my club face and wipe it with a towel to get it free of dirt. Never thought it was disgusting, but I guess many in this thread will think so. Kind of getting self conscious about it now

well I guess many have our own little skeletons we may or may not realize are not the best practices...lol but just don't give another person your towel to borrow.

I once played with a guy that put the entire ball in his mouth to clean it off. It was disgusting!!!

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

I used to play with a guy who would blow his nose, by pressing a finger to one nostril and blowing..... mainly while on the teeboxes with everyone standing around.

hobo blow. I have allergies. sneeze/runny nose in the spring time so I do that sometimes if I don't have a tissue and don't want to blow my snout into my dirty golf towel. I try to do it somewhere where it wont bother others, but sometimes end up with boogers on my shoes. it's not gross, if you don't look at my shoes. :act-up:

If needed I'll spit on my towel to clean my ball on the green.

My other disgusting habit lately is triple bogies.

Moral of the story, don't touch my golf ball.

Back