Wedge Groove Wear

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking with someone at the range yesterday in regards to wear on wedges and how he likes to use older wedges that are worn all the way down. He mentioned that it reduces the spin for him and that is what he is looking for. I find myself doing something similar each season when I replace my wedges and hit bunker shots for hours to dull them down a bit.

Others love the razor sharp grooves that they feel will assist in adding spin to their game out of certain lies.

So which one are you? Do you love the extra spin or new grooves or do you prefer something a little more worn down?

I just want to find wedges that I like the weighting and feel of. As long as I feel like I can make solid contact, the spin will be there.

I thought my 588's were awesome when they were brand new. I hadn't had a brand new wedge for almost a year at that point. I'm still happy now though 9 months later, so I think my answer is that it's not a big deal either way for me.

Honestly, I've never really been a high spin player so grooves or no grooves wouldn't make a huge difference for me.

I've always used height and technique to die my shots on the green.

iPad tapping!

I love these type threads. I agree with Thainer that I'm not a real high spin player but this topic is something that I've never thought about so I'm really interested to see what all types of responses it generates.

I really like hitting a brand new wedge, but for some reason, I just think it looks awesome when the sweet spots are worn down (kinda brownish in color) and the rest of the face still looks good. Takes a lot of shots to get them looking like that (my old wedges were like that after about 18 months of playing/practicing almost everyday)

I used to be able to get my wedges like that back in HS, but not so much anymore.

I dont ever really think about this

I will say I didn tlove the jaws wedges because they literally ate my golf balls when I first started hitting them. I hate grooves that scuff balls.

Man, there has been a rash of well thoughtout threads lately. I used to love sharp grooves because I loved to see the ball suck back a bit, but now my wedges are a year old and perfect. I like when the ball releases a bit, it's much more predictable than trying to stop it dead around the greens especially.

I'm in the it really doesn't matter camp. I played an older 588 that I had no issues with regarding spin, those grooves while still in good shape, they weren't fresh by any stretch of the imagination. Transitioning to my new wedges in the spring I didn't see much difference, and even still 9 months later I can't tell a difference other than the laser milling has dulled away a bit.

If this side question won't derail the thread into a spiraling death allow me to ask a question. If it is technique like some say that imparts spin, and not grooves, then what difference does new vs old grooves make? As long as the grooves are there, and in decent enough shape to move debris away, should it matter if they are sharp or worn down?

If this side question won't derail the thread into a spiraling death allow me to ask a question. If it is technique like some say that imparts spin, and not grooves, then what difference does new vs old grooves make? As long as the grooves are there, and in decent enough shape to move debris away, should it matter if they are sharp or worn down?

Deeper grooves have the ability to channel away more debris from certain lies to give a clean hitting surface which will impart more spin.

I dont ever really think about this

I will say I didn tlove the jaws wedges because they literally ate my golf balls when I first started hitting them. I hate grooves that scuff balls.

Agreed, not a fan of grooves that tear up golf balls. I do like to hit a shot that hops and stops from time to time, but I do think that a bit of release is more controllable and more accurate in the long run.

It's something I don't normally think about. However when I get new wedges I do immediately work on bunker play with them. So I guess if that dulls them down then put me in the category of of preferring them to be worn down a little instead of razor sharp.

I'm kind of in the middle. I hate the grooves so sharp, it cuts into that new ball you just put in place on the tee, but need them sharp enough to grip the ball and create some spin, especially around the greens. What I really hate is when you get the club at that perfect age only to hit a hidden rock and put a nice ding in the sole.

I like that crisp new look. I dont spin the ball a ton so I think they help me.

I like em worn down a lil but not to the point where they are kinda useless. I gotta agree with One-T that my Jaws wedges were crazily ripping balls at first but not so much now. I have recently bought a set of Cally forged wedges, copper finish, and they spin pretty good but not so much its outta control. So I think the new groove rule actually helps in that regard.

Deeper grooves have the ability to channel away more debris from certain lies to give a clean hitting surface which will impart more spin.

True enough, but does "sharpness" of the edges help move the debris. I could see them maybe cutting through the blades of grass more efficiently than a duller edge, which does make it seem like an advantage. Though hearing someone intentionally dull their wedges to decrease spin makes me wonder, are they making that much better contact, or what it is about their technique that is allowing for so much spin that they would actually look for ways to create less of it.

I need more coffee to maintain this level of thought haha.

True enough, but does "sharpness" of the edges help move the debris. I could see them maybe cutting through the blades of grass more efficiently than a duller edge, which does make it seem like an advantage. Though hearing someone intentionally dull their wedges to decrease spin makes me wonder, are they making that much better contact, or what it is about their technique that is allowing for so much spin that they would actually look for ways to create less of it.

I need more coffee to maintain this level of thought haha.

Dulling the edge, for me eliminates ball chewing of the cover. However in terms of actual spin, some would say that dulling of the grroves, causes the edges to fold in or out slightly and makes the actual channel smaller.

Until you sharpen them. Then those dull-rounded channels become HUGE.

All sharpening does its cut out the rolled over metal.
Dulling the edge, for me eliminates ball chewing of the cover. However in terms of actual spin, some would say that dulling of the grroves, causes the edges to fold in or out slightly and makes the actual channel smaller.

Interesting topic.

I have tried out multiple wedge sets over the past year, but always keep coming back to my older set of Nike wedges. They are dull and worn, but I love the results they give me. Having recently put a new wedge (RTX) in the bag, I have had to adjust a bit as the extra spin I get from it being brand new is completely different than what I am used to.

As long as I know what I am going to get out of the wedge when I hit my shot, I am fine with which ever.

Wow, this thread is really eye opening on how so many people dont really need more spin. I'm definitely a wedge ho because I always wanted sharp grooves to keep the spin as high as possible (I need the help).

Bolded: This part is what gets me. We, as golfers, here from the OEM's that new aggressive grooves offer increased spin and better performance around the green. Some take that as meaning that the grooves impart spin on the ball, yet that is argued against by those who say it is technique that imparts spin. Well my question is this, if newer grooves are chewing covers then is that imparting spin onto the ball? In my mind it has to be, a descending blow that results in removal of material has to result in spin.

Italics: This part I can get behind because I see it when I go in see wedges on the used rack. The grooves are so worn away that they are either almost touching or look like tiny slivers compared to fresh grooves.

Sorry for the bold and italics, I'm editing some displays in another program and it carried over to my thp time.

Add me to the camp that doesn't really care. I'm not a huge spin player and actually, I usually prefer that the ball does not suck back. I've also never worn a wedge down to the levels you guys are talking about, but I've been jumping around a bit lately looking for the 'one' that works best for me.

I look for clean, sharp grooves on my 60* that I use for short sided green chips and pitches than can really help stop the ball quick. Beyond that I don't think I would notice a difference.

I will be honest, I thought this thread was about a new clothing line before I came in...haha It's not something I normally pay much attention to but I guess I just havent really had a wedge I liked enough to stick with it long enough for it to wear. Hopefully that changes.

This may seem a little excessive for an amateur golfer, but I like my pitching wedge, gap wedge, and 60 to be nice and sharp. I like sand wedge to be dull. Reason being is I'm hitting more full shot from longer distances with PW and GW so i want all the spin they and me can muster. With 60, I them sharp so i can be aggressive around the greens with chips and pitches.

My SW is a little different beast. I put a lot of spin on the ball. I ruined a brand new B330-S in 18 holes yesterday. So with that club, i don't want it making a lot of its own spin. I want it to be making a predictable amount given the swing. I can still generate enough spjn with worn out grooves that are smooth to the touch to pull the ball back 3 to 5 depending on conditions. But it still chews the ball up. Thats just something i have learned to live with.

Back