Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

My Wife threw a surprise party for me tonight with some of our friends, I now have enough Golfsmith gift cards to acquire this driver...maybe tomorrow?

Which one would you possibly OEM? Would you go 270 to keep it light like the Black youre already hitting well?

Which one would you possibly OEM? Would you go 270 to keep it light like the Black youre already hitting well?
No sir, I have realized that it's time to embrace my cut/fade. I would go 290 w/ stock shaft and just let it fly.

If it doesnt work for me, I off it and go back to the Black that I know treats me well.

No sir, I have realized that it's time to embrace my cut/fade. I would go 290 w/ stock shaft and just let it fly.

If it doesnt work for me, I off it and go back to the Black that I know treats me well.

I did the same thing. Ive found the cut fade to be a very reliable shot now. Its just when it turns into the short floater that kills me.

I did the same thing. Ive found the cut fade to be a very reliable shot now. Its just when it turns into the short floater that kills me.
I realized this past Wednesday that when I focus on hitting it straight, I bring in the snap-hook, and thats bad news for War. I decided before league to embrace my fade, and played down the left of the fairway. Boom, 6/7 fairways hit and a +1 on 9 holes.

I realized this past Wednesday that when I focus on hitting it straight, I bring in the snap-hook, and thats bad news for War. I decided before league to embrace my fade, and played down the left of the fairway. Boom, 6/7 fairways hit and a +1 on 9 holes.

You sir, are a boss. And I think you'll bomb the Classic.

You sir, are a boss. And I think you'll bomb the Classic.
We will see what happens, Ive played rounds with it before and have demo'd it in the past, but always when I have been trying to slow my swing a bit and hit it straighter. Time to unleash it and play the big ole right handed bubba cut.

We will see what happens, Ive played rounds with it before and have demo'd it in the past, but always when I have been trying to slow my swing a bit and hit it straighter. Time to unleash it and play the big ole right handed bubba cut.

Nothing wrong with that! I really enjoyed hitting Dr. Teeth's today. Such a good driver.

Nothing wrong with that! I really enjoyed hitting Dr. Teeth's today. Such a good driver.
It really is, the enormous face has me obsessed.

I just learned that the 270 is 197g and the 290 is 199g. The 270 is draw biased and the 290 is neutral. Most of the weight difference is in the grip and shaft. true?

I just learned that the 270 is 197g and the 290 is 199g. The 270 is draw biased and the 290 is neutral. Most of the weight difference is in the grip and shaft. true?

Well if the heads are that close then I'd be inclined to say yes.

The 270 has a C. Kua 39 and 25g grip withe the 290 going C.Kua 43 and 36g grip. So yeah, shaft and grip make up the difference.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Think i need to go and hit one of these, 50% off at the stores around me. And i'm not even looking for a new driver damnit...

Think i need to go and hit one of these, 50% off at the stores around me. And i'm not even looking for a new driver damnit...

I HIGHLY recommend you do so.

I had to buy one of these today. I got the 270 10.5*. Now I have to wait til friday to test it out.

I'm putting mine back in the bag this week to see how it compares to the AMP/Secret Grip combo. I missed having that giant face to look down on. Still would like to try the 290 w/ a Kusala Black for the hell of it. Probably a stupid thing to be interested in, but I've never really gamed a tip-stiff shaft and I'm curious. Would probably go w/ the R flex.

I'm putting mine back in the bag this week to see how it compares to the AMP/Secret Grip combo. I missed having that giant face to look down on. Still would like to try the 290 w/ a Kusala Black for the hell of it. Probably a stupid thing to be interested in, but I've never really gamed a tip-stiff shaft and I'm curious. Would probably go w/ the R flex.

10yarddraw has a Black in Regular flex for sale dude.

I am taking my Classic out of the bag to commence on shaft testing. It's bittersweet. JB said the Classic/Black combo is the best he's seen me drive the ball. That's speaks a ton!

Does he really? I need to go check.

I think you found a combo that just plain works for you. Looking back to all the pondering and how unsure you were about what to order, it's a pretty cool thing to see. The scores you put up while it was in the bag were damn impressive.

Does he really? I need to go check.

I think you found a combo that just plain works for you. Looking back to all the pondering and how unsure you were about what to order, it's a pretty cool thing to see. The scores you put up while it was in the bag were damn impressive.

Thanks. It's a great combo and it has been an outstanding driver for me. It is going to be weird not having it in the bag. I hit it very very well the entire Morgan Cup and it will be missed while it's on vacation.

Just got a 10.5 degree, with the Miyazaki 39R shaft on eBay for $125.50 new. Have been interested in this one since it came out. I have the CG Black 3 wood and #2, #3, #4, #5 Mashies all with the Miyazaki's. Used to love my XL270 but then went with the Nike VR_S. I like it, but for the price I am looking forward to trying out the Classic.

Quick question. I know it's in here somewhere but I'm helping my roommate bidding on a driver on Ebay and was trying to get a quick answer. He hit the classic tonight at Golf Galaxy with me and really liked it. Was much better than his starter set driver. There was a 9* in the used bin and he was hitting that and I was able to take note of his #'s. I know a driver fitting is the way to go but unfortunately he's one of those people that isn't interested in dropping more money on a fitting, so I was trying to help him out myself since he's actually interested in a new driver.

With the 9* stiff he was:
Swinging right around 100-101 mph
LA of only 8-9*
Spin in the 3200-3300 range
Seeing about 210-220 carry with 10-15 yards of rollout

So, I was trying to find info about the swing speed recommendations for the stock shaft with the Classic 290. I was thinking of recommending the 290 stiff in either 10.5 or 12* for him. Any thoughts? The speed is pretty consistent right at 100 mph and he has a pretty smooth swing, no crazy transitions or anything.

Not sure on the shaft. But that LA is low. I would guess he would need at least the 10.5 loft.

Quick question. I know it's in here somewhere but I'm helping my roommate bidding on a driver on Ebay and was trying to get a quick answer. He hit the classic tonight at Golf Galaxy with me and really liked it. Was much better than his starter set driver. There was a 9* in the used bin and he was hitting that and I was able to take note of his #'s. I know a driver fitting is the way to go but unfortunately he's one of those people that isn't interested in dropping more money on a fitting, so I was trying to help him out myself since he's actually interested in a new driver.

LA of only 8-9*

So, I was trying to find info about the swing speed recommendations for the stock shaft with the Classic 290. I was thinking of recommending the 290 stiff in either 10.5 or 12* for him. Any thoughts? The speed is pretty consistent right at 100 mph and he has a pretty smooth swing, no crazy transitions or anything.

I think you're on the right track. Get that loft higher and the launch will go higher as well. The spin rate might go up slightly, but as long as it's not in the 4000+ range, that's OK. Getting the launch angle up 2-3 degrees could add 10 yards or more. Plus, the stock shaft has a softer tip section, so that can also help with the launch characteristics.

LA of only 8-9*

Launch is about 4 degrees too low, spin a few hundred high. Would probably fare better in that 2400-2700 range.

Bahester, based on his SS, I think he can get his launch angle a little higher. JB put me in shaft that got me 14* launch and 3200 spin on a 10.5* driver. Perhaps he tries a higher lofted club to get his Launch angle up.

Not sure on the shaft. But that LA is low. I would guess he would need at least the 10.5 loft.

I think you're on the right track. Get that loft higher and the launch will go higher as well. The spin rate might go up slightly, but as long as it's not in the 4000+ range, that's OK. Getting the launch angle up 2-3 degrees could add 10 yards or more. Plus, the stock shaft has a softer tip section, so that can also help with the launch characteristics.

Launch is about 4 degrees too low, spin a few hundred high. Would probably fare better in that 2400-2700 range.

Bahester, based on his SS, I think he can get his launch angle a little higher. JB put me in shaft that got me 14* launch and 3200 spin on a 10.5* driver. Perhaps he tries a higher lofted club to get his Launch angle up.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to convince him to at least go get a driver fitting but he's really frugal and getting him to buy a new driver has been a 6 month process in itself lol. I know the launch is pretty low just trying to decide whether he'd be better for the 10.5 or 12. I think he can swing the stiff shaft fine.

If his launch is 8-9 with the 9*, I would definitely go with a 12* driver. That would get him much closer to 14* (which is where he should be) than the 10.5 would.

Back