Is the Modern Pitching Wedge Really a Wedge?

Is the Modern Pitching Wedge Really a Wedge?

• Yes

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 52.5%

• Total voters
My i20 is a wedge because it's got a big W stamped on it.

Pretty sure I saw a 6-pack of W wedges just last night when I was getting some beer. According to the rules, that one just doesn't count, Kmac.

it's not a wedge though, because you don't buy it individually

you get a PW when you buy a set of IRONS

real wedges are purchased separately, they don't come in 7 or 8 packs
Scor golf wedges start at 41*. My Razr X PW that came with my irons set is 44*, I think it qualifies.

Last edited:
THis arguement doesn't hold up at all. Wedges are a specialized iron.

What if I buy a 4 iron seperate from my set of irons? Is that a wedge too?

no, because a 4 iron is typically included in a standard set of irons

it's called a set of irons, not a set of 7 irons with a wedge right?

if a wedge is a "specialized iron" why does the PW look just like the 9i and 8i?

a PW lacks the sole designs commonly found on real wedges which are designed to help you get out of sand and hit touch shots around the green, the only thing that separates your PW from your 9i is about 4 degrees of loft.

Scor golf wedges start at 41*. My Razr X PW that came with my iron is 44*, I think it qualifies.

so is your 9i a wedge, since it's got about the same loft as the Scor 41*?

Pretty sure I saw a 6-pack of W wedges just last night when I was getting some beer. According to the rules, that one just doesn't count, Kmac.

LOL I'd like a 6-pack of W right now.

Answer is simple... Stop giving arbitrary names and numbers to irons/wedges and simply list degrees on the clubs. Problem solved

I like this idea very much. Although the only issue I see is most amateurs not able to remember how far their 42* club goes as compared to their 34* club.

I like this idea very much. Although the only issue I see is most amateurs not able to remember how far their 42* club goes as compared to their 34* club.
Probably 20 to 25 yards less. hehe.

i have a 4w... sometimes when i catch it just right... it becomes a really long and high lob wedge

i have a 4w... sometimes when i catch it just right... it becomes a really long and high lob wedge
You can always bend it to 55*. You know, keep that gap.

To answer this question, you must try to realize the truth

Spoiler

Back