TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Still no reports anywhere on how much moving the weight back and fort changes spin?

Still no reports anywhere on how much moving the weight back and fort changes spin?
Spin, launch, ball speed retention across the face. That's what I'm interested in with the different placements. Even in the middle if that works for some. I think once it starts getting into the stores we will hear more specifics. And hopefully the THP reviewer can entertain our endless questions lol

I think the advantage of using the same launch monitor in both reviews/tests is it's an accurate apple-to-apple comparison and takes any guess work out of the equation.

I haven't hit the new 816 GBB but I plan to try it out along with the M1 to see how they compare to my current driver once the M1 makes it's way to the local golf shop.

On shots on the exact same point on the face, sure. But such a small sample does not take into account misses and the retention/drop that occurs on them. With the DBD the could have been off a bit from center and then on point when he hit the M1, these are things that should be taken into account. Its why THP will be sure to put the head through its paces in its entirety, as we always do.

I'm honestly more excited about trying the head the more I read, it really looks like a step in the right direction if the vertical sliding weight does what it advertises in terms of MOI and retention when moved to the back position. I hope it delivers, having TM relevant is good for us all.

The more I think about it, the more I like the 2-track weighting system and how easy it is to understand how moving the weights affects the ball flight. I didn't hit SLDR or the R15, so I'll wait for others to comment on the forgiveness of this head vs those clubs.

One other thing from the marketing side: the main M1 page (http://taylormadegolf.com/M1.html?icid=hp-h1-CTA1-M1) still has Fujikura and Mitsubishi misspelled on there under the listing of the 3 stock shafts. Such a poor look and oversight from the marketing department.

The more I think about it, the more I like the 2-track weighting system and how easy it is to understand how moving the weights affects the ball flight. I didn't hit SLDR or the R15, so I'll wait for others to comment on the forgiveness of this head vs those clubs.

One other thing from the marketing side: the main M1 page (http://taylormadegolf.com/M1.html?icid=hp-h1-CTA1-M1) still has Fujikura and Mitsubishi misspelled on there under the listing of the 3 stock shafts. Such a poor look and oversight from the marketing department.

clearly the Fujikira and Mitusbishi are made for shafts

Looking at the pics of this, I get an R7 feel. Especially on the 430 head. I'm kind of excited to demo one of these.

You just brought back a great memory, I loved my R7 quad that came with 3 shafts :)

Looking at the pics of this, I get an R7 feel. Especially on the 430 head. I'm kind of excited to demo one of these.

To be fair, though, there isn't an amateur golf (or a teaching pro for that matter) who is going to hit the ball in the same exact spot on the face consecutively. I think Shiels does a good job providing a relatively consistent sample from one test to the next and even shows the HMT data so you can see ball strike locations. He also excludes a mis-hit from the review if it was significantly off compared to other shots in the sample, which is why I think folks can look at his reviews and know they are getting something pretty consistent.

I'm not downplaying or knocking what THP is doing from a test/review perspective at all and I'm sure the M1 will be put through it's paces fairly by whoever gets to review the club.

Missing my point as I'm not talking about massive misses, that's OK though.

I prefer more detailed information on a club and how it reacts, but that's just me.

I'm honestly more excited about trying the head the more I read, it really looks like a step in the right direction if the vertical sliding weight does what it advertises in terms of MOI and retention when moved to the back position. I hope it delivers, having TM relevant is good for us all.

I completely agree. From the initial things that are trickling in on it, it sounds like it may be a pretty good offering for people.

You just brought back a great memory, I loved my R7 quad that came with 3 shafts :)
I had the TP and moved to the R9 TP. It was never the same. I'm anxious for TM to put out another great driver.

I completely agree. From the initial things that are trickling in on it, it sounds like it may be a pretty good offering for people.

thinking out loud. What excites me is to see their budget friendlier driver that will be coming out. There is no way they roll with a 500 driver for the masses. If they have this line moving in the right direction, perhaps the other line will be moving as well. Also I thought Aeroburner was kind of good.

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

This is probably The first Taylormade driver since the R1 and RBZ that I am really excited to see in person and take a few swings with. Didn't really care for the R 15. Something just didnt balance out for me with that club. I really wanted to like the SLDR but never really gave it a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinking out loud. What excites me is to see their budget friendlier driver that will be coming out. There is no way they roll with a 500 driver for the masses. If they have this line moving in the right direction, perhaps the other line will be moving as well. Also I thought Aeroburner was kind of good.

The aero burner 3W is a fantastic club. Didn't like the driver as much.

With that said I agree with the $500 price point not for everybody. Although I had a conversation with JB a while back in a thread about the general population playing a club because it is played on tour. I don't think we can discredit the fact that Taylormade,with their marketing, will still sell a ton of these things because they have the "#1 Drver on Tour"

Agree on all of this, and I too enjoyed the Aero quite a lot.

It was kind of good, but so was Jetspeed. We saw what happened there when marketed weakly

Agree on all of this, and I too enjoyed the Aero quite a lot.

I agree, and I'm also a fan of the Aero - I've been thinking of picking one up for fun. I tend to play my drivers at standard face angle, so if they put out a cheaper bonded driver that's more "for the masses", it'll get a hard look from me.

The thing that amazes me is that the new track can only modify spin by 300RPM and 0.8 +- launch angle.
I think that for a 16 handicap like myself who hits the ball all over the face, that margin of customization is fairly irrelevant. But i can see it being marginally beneficial for good ball strikers like most of you.

The thing that amazes me is that the new track can only modify spin by 300RPM and 0.8 +- launch angle.
I think that for a 16 handicap like myself who hits the ball all over the face, that margin of customization is fairly irrelevant. But i can see it being marginally beneficial for good ball strikers like most of you.

Doesn't that fall in line with other systems using this same concept?

Absolutely. The only reason why I mentioned it is because by their marketing material one would think the M1's revolutionary technology would offer more than a 300RPM, O.8 launch differential.

I hope I'm not skimming again but any word on the overall head weight? I wonder if they could have put heavier weights in?

I can't help but think that the heavier the weights in the tracks the more effective they would be.

Obviously this is all premature pondering as it could work great the way it is.

Am kinda like Dev. The more I read about this and look at the possible benefit of the T Scales, I'm I tried to at least try it.

Back