Please help solve this problem

Please help solve this problem

Votes: 42 52.5%

Votes: 38 47.5%

• Total voters
288.jpg

you dont know any math professors. locally

I do. He is a terrible golfer too. He teaches at St Pete college and is a heck of a nice guy. Boring, but nice. He said he put it in his calculator.

I again say it's 2... I put into my calculator... Excel is wrong because you have to imput the * symbol

But that does not matter. The absence or inclusion of the multiplication symbol as no effect on the solution.

I just emailed a math professor here locally and he said the answer is 2. Not sure if he is right or wrong, but he was pretty sure of it.

That means he is doing the multiplication prior to the division... but there is no known rule (that I know of) that lets you do that multiplication before the division when the division comes first from left to right. That professior appears to be reading the problem as follows: 48/(2(9 + 3)). But it is not written that way.

I was told there would be no math!!! LOL.

2 FTW

48 / 2(9 + 3) is the same as 48 / 2* (9+3). What are we trying to figure out? What we're dividing 48 into.

48 / 2(12) = We're dividing 48 by the result of 2(12), which is the same as

48 / 24.

2 it is

I do. He is a terrible golfer too. He teaches at St Pete college and is a heck of a nice guy. Boring, but nice. He said he put it in his calculator.

hahaha, I was just messing around. I would kick his ass in golf

But that does not matter. The absence or inclusion of the multiplication symbol as no effect on the solution.

Because it's not separated by an x or * for multiplier... 2 is a factor of the parenthesis meaning it's included in the calculation of the first step of Pedmas... I feel like a nerd lol

I'm pretty sure we got trolled. The idea of "implied multiplier" is kicking our behinds.

But if you follow standard Order of Operations, the answer is 288.

48 / 2(9 + 3) is the same as 48 / 2* (9+3). What are we trying to figure out? What we're dividing 48 into.

48 / 2(12) = We're dividing 48 by the result of 2(12), which is the same as

48 / 24.

2 it is

Why would you not perfrom 48/2 first? At that point it is all mult and div...and you go left to right, correct?

Because it's not separated by an x or * for multiplier... 2 is a factor of the parenthesis meaning it's included in the calculation of the first step of Pedmas... I feel like a nerd lol

Wouldn't that theory only apply if there were variables involved in the equation? Which in this case there is not.

I put it in my Cray supercomputer - 288 it is. The analysis said: parentheses first, then division and multiplication are "evenly" considered left to right (i.e., multiplication does not trump division) so 48/2 first then x 12.

its obviously 144

Why would you not perfrom 48/2 first? At that point it is all mult and div...and you go left to right, correct?

The parenthesis is the screwy part. If the formula were originally written 48 / 2 x (9+3) then I'd say yeah it'd be 48/2 x 12. With it as 48 / 2(12) you still have the parenthesis holding precedence no?

Wouldn't that theory only apply if there were variables involved in the equation? Which in this case there is not.

48/2(9+3)= y... Not trying to be a smartass, but it does change the answer.
So 48 = 2y*12....
48= 24y
Y=48/24

Y=2

There is seriously no point guys. Depending on how you look at the problem, there are two answers.

C and E is getting the response he wants.

Don't they use this equation to make shaft flex?

I'm kind of amused that there's 22 people looking at this thread and we're all trying to answer it sincerely to help and it's just turning into a giant WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING?!?

Back