Any advice for "runners knee"? I am 59 was running 3-5 miles a day, started training for a Spartan and was running up a hill ... it hurt a bit and swelled up ... when to doc and he looked at it, drained it, and said it looked good ... also had ultra sound that showed no damage ... the fluid was just a clear yellow, no sign of blood ... that was 5 months ago, swelling is gone, but it has never felt the same are as "stable" as before.

Just 4 miles for me this morning, but mid 80's with 80% humidity made that pretty unpleasant. I blame The Open being on for me not getting out the door until after 10.

Got in 4.5 miles on Saturday, and 6 this morning ... this morning was really just a jog at best.

Looking for some good running shoes, or a place I can get "fitted" for shoes ...

Got in 4.5 miles on Saturday, and 6 this morning ... this morning was really just a jog at best.

Looking for some good running shoes, or a place I can get "fitted" for shoes ...

Finding the right pair of shoes is key. I found a place near me that did a great job of finding me the perfect pair for my neutral pronating feet. Really helped the mild knee pain that always seemed to plague me post run too.

I need to get out for another run tomorrow methinks. Been a couple days, as I've been trying to get some good strength training in. Last time out though I did my best time yet on my 4.5 mile, hilly course I typically run around here.

My favorite shoe is the Mizuno Prophecy 2. Rather expensive, but worth the money. I was a plantar fasciitis sufferer, but no longer. I own three pairs at the moment and rotating them during my marathon training. One key factor with running shoes is to go one size up...
92ed665bba4ef8cb3d0b2b3899c2fb3c.jpg

Running

◇◇ Tokyo Marathon 2016 Registration ◇◇

===========================================================
Thank you for your registration!
Your official registration has now been completed.
You will be notified of the lottery result by e-mail by the end of September.

Ran 4.6 miles yesterday after work, and got under a 7:30 mile for the first time in quite a while (7:25 pace, to be precise). Really thought about technique and moving efficiently during that run, and ended up finishing with a good time and with plenty of gas left in the tank. Pretty pumped! Next goal is to get into the 6's.

Been running with my XC team and deiced to run a 5k race with my 18 month old in a month. So have been getting in some 5k with her and the stroller. Ran a 25:09 last week and last night we did just a 2 mile run and had a 7:40 & 7:44 pace. Goal is for us to finish under 25 minutes with the stroller.

Went for a part trail, part road run last night. About 6.2 miles, longest I've run in a while, and the surprise was it felt pretty good. Ran at about 8:15 pace which isn't too fast, but there were some really steep hills so overall I'm pleased. I liked the route so I think I'm gonna give it another try sometime in the next week.

I hate running. The only thing I hate more is being fat. So I run. But I have to sign up for races because why wouldn't I pay to do something I can't stand. Ran a 10K this past weekend. While I do hate running, I do feel a sense of accomplishment when done. So I got that going for me.

I hate running. The only thing I hate more is being fat. So I run. But I have to sign up for races because why wouldn't I pay to do something I can't stand. Ran a 10K this past weekend. While I do hate running, I do feel a sense of accomplishment when done. So I got that going for me.

Lol this is funny. I don't race, but I enjoy running so maybe that's why!! :alien:

Congrats on the 10k ... had to cut back on running ... managed to get runners knee, my fault, but they drain a BUNCH of fluid off my knee. Ever since then, I have reevaluated the best way to burn calories/cardio.

The Insane Inflatable 5k was awesome and I would recommend it to anyone looking to do a fun run.

Prepping for another long run tonight. Ran 4.6 miles yesterday and going to push it up to plus 10 miles tonight. Running through Central Park as they prep for the NYC marathon is exhilarating. I hope to be running in this marathon next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prepping for another long run tonight. Ran 4.6 miles yesterday and going to push it up to plus 10 miles tonight. Running through Central Park as they prep for the NYC marathon is exhilarating. I hope to be running in this marathon next year.

I hope to be there with you! Are you going to try to get in on the lottery, or join a charity team?

I hope to be there with you! Are you going to try to get in on the lottery, or join a charity team?

I was only aware of the lottery. Wasn't aware of option of going a charity team.

I was only aware of the lottery. Wasn't aware of option of going a charity team.

Oh yeah, you can join a charity team to get guaranteed entry. You usually have to pay to join the team and raise a certain amount of money to get the guaranteed entry, but I've heard raising the money isn't all that hard since the team helps with fundraising tips/websites/coaches. With the bigger teams like Team for Kids and Fred's Team, you get gear for reaching fundraising benchmarks.

Oh yeah, you can join a charity team to get guaranteed entry. You usually have to pay to join the team and raise a certain amount of money to get the guaranteed entry, but I've heard raising the money isn't all that hard since the team helps with fundraising tips/websites/coaches. With the bigger teams like Team for Kids and Fred's Team, you get gear for reaching fundraising benchmarks.

Charity bibs run anywhere from $2500- 4000 (and up) depending on the charity. Since it looks like you guys don't have an NYC address you have better odds to get in via lottery than a local.

Last edited:
Charity bibs run anywhere from $2500- 4000 (and up) depending on the charity. Since it looks like you guys don't have an NYC address you have better odds to get in via lottery than a local.

Thanks for the info.

My sister is actually running on Sunday and got in through the lottery process.

Thanks. When I looked into running with Fred's Team last year, the minimum fundraising amount was $3,000. I want to say it's about the same for Team for Kids. The benefits you get for running with a charity as big as those two are awesome though.

Team for Kids and Fred's Team get the most bibs as they're affiliated with NYRR. Enjoy the week in NYC- my fav week of the year.

If you're up early this week there are guided team runs from Tavern on the Green all week at 7am.

Just finished up my 13.1 mile run through NYC and Central Park tonight. Ran around the finish line and you can see the excitement for the marathon.

Had another great run finishing in 1:40 with a 7:38 pace. Fighting a knee issue, which most likely is from the amount of Miles I've logged the past 2 weeks.

Watch out for those guided runs a 7pm as its like trying to dodge a mob of people running.

Thanks for the info.

My sister is actually running on Sunday and got in through the lottery process.

I was lucky enough to get into the race last year through the lottery and it was the best sports memory I will ever have. Not sure if your sister has run this race before but she is going to love it. My advice for what it is worth is not worry about a PR but instead take it all in. Stop take pictures/videos, shake hands with spectators and say hi, know that you will be slower at the start because of all the runners and it will be tight. Make sure to dress in layers as it is cold waiting for hours outside till it's time for you to walk to your corral, bring an old pillow so you can lay down on the ground with it, if it set bring cardboard to sit/lay on.

Good luck to your sister, she will have a great time.

Next weekend I head out to participate in the Ragnar Trail Relay Race in Scottsdale.

http://www.ragnartrail.com/locations/mcdowell-mountain-az

I even agreed to take the longer legs, so I'll be doing a 4 mile leg, and two 6 mile legs. Should be awful. I've trained very little for it. Aiming to average 9:30 miles regardless of terrain, but I'm not planning to up my pace in the slightest, considering it's all longer distances than what I normally train for.

Running is coward practice. I can walk towards gunfire and away from explosions and just look like a badass. I'll probably also do at least 2 Spartan races this year, which also has running, because those jerks won't put all the obstacles right next to each other like they do on American Ninja Warrior.

Back