Odyssey Versa Putter Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release.

Odyssey®, the #1 Putter in Golf®, and the brand that compiled the most putter winsacross all professional tours last season, today announced the January 18 launch of the new Versa™ line of putters. Known for its innovation in the putter category, Odyssey introduces a visionary High Contrast Alignment system with Versa. Versa putters feature stark black and white contrast laterally on the putter head, which accentuates the face angle at address, through the stroke and at impact. This contrast prompts golfers to better align putts, which is critical since just one-degree off line can cause a golfer to miss a 12-foot putt. The design also promotes concentration during the putter stroke and helps maintain consistency at impact.

putters-2013-versa-1-wide-black___1.png

odyssey-versa-putter-sm.jpg

Alignment features are traditionally applied to mallet and progressive style putters, but with Versa’s new high contrast alignment, Odyssey provides a functional alignment aide to a conventional style putter.

“We set out to design a distinctive and highly effective alignment system for ablade putter,” said Austie Rollinson, Principal Designer, Odyssey Golf. “The human visual system is both sensitive to contrast and very good at complex tasks such as edge detection. We utilized both of these skills to create a very effective alignment aid that helps golfers putt more consistently, and sink more putts, too.”

Additionally, the Versa line of putters debuts an improved White Hot® insert, a perennially popular insert among the world’s best professional golfers. The new insert has been meticulously engineered by Odyssey for more consistent sound, feel and performance across the striking surface. A new laser milling cutting process allows Odyssey to achieve extremely tight tolerances and to better match insert shapes to the 343 gram head shapes, resulting in more consistency and better performance for golfers. (The Odyssey 2-Ball® head weighs 355 grams.) Each insert has been designed and cut specifically for each putter model.

The Versa line is offered in a variety of Tour-proven head shapes, from the Brand’s progressive style and mallet putters to conventional blade style putters. The #1, #2, #7 and #9 models are available in black/white/black and white/black/white combinations. The #7 90 models are also available in bothcolor options, but feature a front-to-back alignment visual. The 2-Ball model, Odyssey’s best-selling putter of all time, is available in one color option: white/black/white. All models are available with a 33”, 34” or 35” shaft, as well as a host of custom options.

The Versa line of putters from Odyssey will be available for a new product introduction retail price starting of $169.99 (US). For more information about Versa, please visit www.odysseygolf.com/Versa. For more on all Odyssey products, please visit www.odysseygolf.com/.

I'm very intigued by the Versa line and can't wait to put one in my hands to see how the alignment aid works.

I will definitely be curious to hear what THP'ers have to say about this one and also curious to see if anyone on tour is gaming it. Not really sure what to think of the oreo look yet, but it sounds as if it has a purpose.

I'm quite indifferent on these. I understand what the point is, but trying to focus on that while making a putting stroke seems like it would be more of a distraction.

Looking at Odyssey's site, I am now intrigued by these putters.

I first saw a tweeted pic of the Versa two-ball. I did not like the look very much. I now realize that the color pattern changes for the other putters and that you can have different color patterns for the same type of putter. Specifically, I really like the look of a couple of the #7 putters.

I will likely give these a try when I see them.

I will for sure be checking these out when they hit stores. I am very intrigued by them and am curious how the alignment can help more than a traditions alignment aid.

I fell like this is going to be a love of hate type product. If it inspires confidence and you start draining some putts it might be for you. It will be interesting to see if the casual consumer is drawn to this line.

Thought this might be a bit like the SeeMore system, where you lined up so that you can or can't see certain colors on the head. From the Odyssey site, I don't think that's the case.
If this is all just to help get the putter square, I don't know how well it'll do. From the site, I can say I'd be more likely to play a b/w/b putter than w/b/w. Just a quirk.

Not sure I like these. Seems like it might be distracting. Curious to hear what people have to say once they give these a try.

I really want to get these in hand to make my mind up. Jury is still out for me.

Interesting design. Trying to image lining it up, in my mind I would think part of the putter is missing when looking down. Then again with the green grass, I could see how the non dominant color could help if the face is square. Will definitely check out to see how it works for me or if I think if it's a gimmick (as my dad's friends would say).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'm quite indifferent on these. I understand what the point is, but trying to focus on that while making a putting stroke seems like it would be more of a distraction.

I'm with you WE...I'll have to see this one in action to prove that there is a benefit here.

A very interesting concept when it comes to putters and alignment, but as successful as the DART system was I'm not surprised they tried to build on that momentum, after looking at all the models I'd say the Versa 90 2 ball might be the only one I find less distracting though.

Interesting philosophy. Definitely want to hear actually user feedback and try it for myself before I could tell you if I am a believer. Did check out the models on the Odyssey website and I have to say if I am a fan of any I am a fan on the #9 design. Look forward to hearing some THP tester feedback.

putters-2013-versa-9___1.png

Interesting but i'll stick with my metal-x dart...

I've never played with the white putters before but curious to see what everyone says about this line. It's been mixed reviews thus far on appearance but have heard nothing on how they roll yet.

I've never played with the white putters before but curious to see what everyone says about this line. It's been mixed reviews thus far on appearance but have heard nothing on how they roll yet.

I'm with you, I'm one of the pickiest putterheads around but in the end, I want to know how it rolls first and foremost.

While its a pity that the two Versas that I enjoy are seemingly only for righties, I think the choice of insert is underwhelming. Never been too huge of a fan of the White Hot insert.

Yuk. It's an Oreo cookie.

Interesting philosophy. Definitely want to hear actually user feedback and try it for myself before I could tell you if I am a believer. Did check out the models on the Odyssey website and I have to say if I am a fan of any I am a fan on the #9 design. Look forward to hearing some THP tester feedback.

putters-2013-versa-9___1.png

I do enjoy the look of this one off hand, but I really want to roll them before I judge them. It's a unique concept, and I definitely dig that Callaway is thinking outside the box.

While its a pity that the two Versas that I enjoy are seemingly only for righties, I think the choice of insert is underwhelming. Never been too huge of a fan of the White Hot insert.
I agree JN. Love the way the insert rolls the ball, hate the lack of feedback/sound, its been a killer for me until the MX top layer came along.

i think a lot of people aren't sold on the looks on these and i kinda see why but i think the idea behind it could make a big difference and i really can't wait to start rolling one of these and see how they work for me. I really am intrigued by the idea. I also like not having an alignment aid.... i think the only thing that might make these better is if they had a metal X insert. but i guess i'll find out soon enough.

At first the look was very different and bizzare looking to me. The more I'm seeing pics though I'm starting to warm up to it. Obviously alignment is the most important aspect of making putts, if you're not aligned right you likely will not make the putt. If the new alignment feature works as advertised them I'm in. I do with they had the Metal X insert.

I do like the fact that they have both options available and even the lines on the 7, it's great to see them expanding the options. Kind of like you can get in woods and drivers, you can now get some of those same expanded options in putters.

i think a lot of people aren't sold on the looks on these and i kinda see why but i think the idea behind it could make a big difference and i really can't wait to start rolling one of these and see how they work for me. I really am intrigued by the idea. I also like not having an alignment aid.... i think the only thing that might make these better is if they had a metal X insert. but i guess i'll find out soon enough.

At first the look was very different and bizzare looking to me. The more I'm seeing pics though I'm starting to warm up to it. Obviously alignment is the most important aspect of making putts, if you're not aligned right you likely will not make the putt. If the new alignment feature works as advertised them I'm in. I do with they had the Metal X insert.
If they go in the hole more than other putters I've used, I'll be the first one signing up to use it! Most important thing.

Back