Golf Fix: Taking the club back inside

MarcH

1-900-Foley-Boys
Reaction score
Handicap
Work
I was watching the PGA tournament last week and heard Faldo commenting on a slow-mo of one of Fowler's wedge shots. He pointed out that on the shot you wanted to point your thumbs up to the sky on the back swing. I keep my ears wide open when Faldo speaks b/c he really really knows about the golf swing. I worked on this for a couple days on the range and its really polished my backswing and got my swing on a nice plane and I'm more accurate b/c of it.

Basically I just hit a bunch of wedges and when my arms are parallel to the ground I feel like my thumbs are pointing straight up. It feels like the club is too steep but on film its perfectly on plane. Once you get that comfortable with the wedges its just the same with the longer clubs, get arms parallel to the ground with thumbs pointing up and keep turning and the club will be on plane.

Hope this can help some of you guys that suck the club inside too quick on the backswing, it sure cured one of my faults, quickly!

Good tip, thanks!

Oh yeah, I'll be trying this one out. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the the tip march! I'll try it out on the range tomorrow.

That is basically the entire philosophy of the instructor I went to yesterday. It's all about the wrists and basically just follow with the arms.. I am trying to rebuild my swing with this technique, we'll see how it works.

That is a great way of describing what I feel when my takeaway is "grooving". It feels steep, but isn't.

Great tip.

Thanks Marc, this is what I am currently working on as I have gotten back into the habit of taking my backswing too far inside. I will see if this thought can help me get it straightened out.

Good tip Marc, I'll have to try this as my main backswing fault is taking the club too far to the inside. I know that some people talk about having quiet wrists and hands on the backswing, but if I do that, I tend to suck the club to the inside with my arms. I'm working on feeling my wrists cock so that it feels like the club is pointed straight upward, which feels really steep, but the club isn't completely vertical and it's on plane. It sounds like the thumbs idea is another way to try to feel the same thing as I'm trying to do.

Good tip Marc, I'll have to try this as my main backswing fault is taking the club too far to the inside. I know that some people talk about having quiet wrists and hands on the backswing, but if I do that, I tend to suck the club to the inside with my arms. I'm working on feeling my wrists cock so that it feels like the club is pointed straight upward, which feels really steep, but the club isn't completely vertical and it's on plane. It sounds like the thumbs idea is another way to try to feel the same thing as I'm trying to do.

Just be careful not to get too wristy at the start. You always want the grip moving first to start the swing...then get those thumbs pointing up. I think if you get too wristy it could lead to "lifting" with the arms and then all hell breaks loose.

Haha went back to December and compared it with now.

Old
Spoiler
[video=youtube;WkM-hCRWrT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkM-hCRWrT4[/video]

In this one somehow my thumbs do point up to the sky lol, but the swing is way behind my body and inside.

New
Spoiler

Now it looks a lot better after a lot of work. I'm just hoping some of you don't end up with what I had before. Hmm. That's what makes learning golf online so hard.

I love it when Faldo is a commentator. He always has such wonderful insight. I'm going to have to try this one out for sure.

Just be careful not to get too wristy at the start. You always want the grip moving first to start the swing...then get those thumbs pointing up. I think if you get too wristy it could lead to "lifting" with the arms and then all hell breaks loose.

Thanks for the advice. My first move off of the ball is simply to move my hands backwards Doreen the target line, so that moves the grip first. I had the bad habit of breaking the wrists early in the backswing and getting too far inside. Concentrating on moving the grip first has helped me a lot.

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:
this!

I'm incorporating the tip in the OP for my new swing beacuse I've been doing what you're alluding to here

Back