Trying to Break 80 Club

Standing on the 18th tee box w iron and driver in each hand. 74 at this point.
Hit driver - awesome drive, but left - and thru the fairway into the desert on a 307 yd par 4.
Finished w a 10.
Should have hit iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78. lots of missed putts and a couple really dumb penalties. should have been much much better.

Hit driver - awesome drive, but left - and thru the fairway into the desert on a 307 yd par 4.
Finished w a 10.
Should have hit iron.

That's the worst feeling. Just keep doing what got you in that position.

2 days in a row, 2 82's, the 80 is there, just some little mistake along the way is keeping me from 80 or breaking it. It is there and I will do it.

I have read several of the post in this thread, and I can relate as to how I felt, and at times still do. It seems when we try to put a number goal to obtain, our mind sets a hazard alert to keep us from obtaining it. For me I could go out and shoot that solid mid 80's round with no problem. However breaking that 80 was always a struggle. It was like I would have a good shoot at it then it would kick in and put me back to the mid 80's . Then while playing in a tournament in Lexington KY. for some reason I quit thinking about score for the round, I just started concentrating on each shot, and what was the best play for my game. As we walked off of the 9th, the guy keeping my card says " you shot even par" ( 2 bogies 2 birdies 5 pars) I had no ideal at that point until he told me, I then went on the back and shot 5 over for 77, but I was thinking about the number on the back, at the time my GHIN was 14.6. To end this long story most of the time I have no ideal outside of the hole I'm playing what my total score is until I add it up at the end of the round. Don't get me wrong, I can still go out and shoot mid to high 80s, but most of the rounds are mid to upper 70''s. I just try to not let myself get in that mode of protecting a number, most of the time it leads to a stupid shot. Yesterday was playing for the first time off winter tees, #10 hit a nice drive on par 5 no roll, still 290 out. I pull the 3 wood grip and rip snap hook into the heather, walk off with a smooth 7. Should have hit an iron to the 120 range wedged it on, at worst walk off with par, ended up with an 81 for the day.

I'm hoping this is my year. I've been working hard the past two years to learn a new swing (still fail out it more than I care to think about) and I've finally put a driver back in my bag in an effort to gain some distance off the tee. Last weekend I put up a 39 on the back 9, which is the best I've shot in recent memory. If I can just put up two 9's like that, I'll be in business. I haven't broken 80 since I was a 14, so a 20 year drought is long enough. 2016 is my year!

Finished w a 10.
Should have hit iron.

Boy do I know how you felt on the 18 tee box. I needed a par to shoot 80, but had given myself looks at birdie throughout the round... Carded an 8 for an 84. Head-scratching hole.

But, you know what that means for both of us? We were sooooo close. (Though I would have enjoyed playing the same 18th hole you were, with the view of the mountains and the clubhouse.)

First 3 rounds of the year: 88,81,82. Between the 81 and 82 (Saturday and today) I decided to buy a new flatstick. Hopefully break that threshold of 80 soon enough!

Trying to get some golf in before the big snow storm in Minnesota. Only able to get 9 holes on Monday and Tues. Played the front 9 on monday and shot a 3 over 39. Yesterday I saw that my handicap has finally gotten under 11, needless to say I played the back 9 and shot a 46... Every hole with one really bad stroke. I told my dad Im the real life Ty Webb, start thinking about what scores I need and just fall apart :banghead: :laughing:.

However once I think I can figure that out (in between the ears) single digit handicap is going to happen this year.

83 from back tees with a 132 slope. On one hand I was so close - I took a double on a par 5 with my drive in A position, hit a ball OB and had a bunch of putts just miss. On the other hand, only 4 FIR and 6 GIRs.

Shot 83 yesterday w three 3-putts and one lost ball. Only one birdie.
It's coming soon....

86/87 in 30-45 degree weather. I'm genuinely hopeful for this season.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I spent 20 years not playing golf. I was a 5 handicap and rarely had a round in the 80's. Then I had back surgery. I spent 3 years trying to come back but never broke 100 -- forget about 80, or, even 90. Then last summer, being fully retired, I decided to play again. 3 rounds later, I still couldn't break 100. I was using my old clubs that were extra long and stiff shafts. I told my wife I was going to get some "Old Man" clubs. I bought a cheap set of graphites with game improvement heads. (Close out Golfsmith version of McGregor Tourneys) By the end of the summer my handicap was down to 14 and I had four or five rounds in the upper 70's.

I didn't expect to play this good. I had to completely change my attitude and approach to the game. Everything I do on the golf course is now based on accuracy and hitting away from trouble. I swing easy, and even though I'm a good 40-50 shorter than I used to be, I can get close to even the longest par 4's in two and have a chance at par. By playing this way I'm aways in position to get a par or bogey and, almost never, in position to get a double or triple bogey.

I'm really enjoying golf now and I believe I will be able to get the handicap in single digits again. I know I'll never be the golfer I used to be, but I think I'll be able to break 80 often. Last summer, by the end of the season, I was playing every day and enjoying my new way of playing golf. I've played 7 rounds so far this year. (Tough going here in Northern Michigan) I've already had a 79. The other 6 scores were in the upper 80's.

By the way, I play from the whites now instead of the tips. Also, I never keep track of my score until I add it up at the end. Golf is a mental game and I don't need the burden of pressure knowing what my score is while I'm playing.

Later,

John

Shot a 79 in a tournament yesterday! Pumped because I didn't have my A game but scrambled well. Only putted 26 times, so that's not horrible. Only 6 GIRs, so I know I can score better!

Since I break 90 most of the time now I should make breaking 80 more of goal. My best last year on a championship layout was 85. My low of 82 in 2009 seems like a lifetime ago. Even tho age has played a factor not playing as much is the biggest reason I lost a bit. In 2012 I did shoot a 69 on an executive par 63 course to win my flight but I have trouble counting that being such a low par.

Shot a 79 in a tournament yesterday! Pumped because I didn't have my A game but scrambled well. Only putted 26 times, so that's not horrible. Only 6 GIRs, so I know I can score better!

Not to put you down or anything, but 10 1-puts in one round is something many tour pro's can't do. Yes increasing GIR will help, but that amount of up-and-downs is really good, seriously.

I'm now in the handicap range where I should consistently be breaking 80, though my homecourse should be considered quite tough. Par72, CR73.2, SI141. Gives me 10 strokes, 6.6 is 9 strokes by the way. But on other courses I could be facing a different story. My old course would give me maybe 4 shots for instance, or the course I was at yesterday would give me 7-ish.

I have hit 83 a few times but Im normally a high 80s player. Im hoping this year to break 80!

86/87/85 in the last three rounds. Feeling good about it, definitely my best early season start yet.

65 degrees today and snow Sunday...I'll take whatever I can get.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Not to put you down or anything, but 10 1-puts in one round is something many tour pro's can't do. Yes increasing GIR will help, but that amount of up-and-downs is really good, seriously.

I'm now in the handicap range where I should consistently be breaking 80, though my homecourse should be considered quite tough. Par72, CR73.2, SI141. Gives me 10 strokes, 6.6 is 9 strokes by the way. But on other courses I could be facing a different story. My old course would give me maybe 4 shots for instance, or the course I was at yesterday would give me 7-ish.
Total putts in general is a fairly useless stat. I still track it because it is easy but it really doesn't mean much as it depends on way to many other factors.

Personal best 76 (39/37) yesterday! Course was under construction, and the greens were freshly aerated. I have no idea how I pulled that off!

Personal best 76 (39/37) yesterday! Course was under construction, and the greens were freshly aerated. I have no idea how I pulled that off!

Holy crap, great round! Congrats on the PB.

Back