Nike Vapor Pro combo vs 716 AP2 vs MP-25

Espagueti

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently gaming the Nike Vapor Pro combos and my miss is usually a little thin or towards the toe. I'm partially looking for a bit more forgiveness but mostly just want a new set as my grooves are very worn in my mid/short irons.

Any experience on performance or personal preference differences between these irons? Playing to a 10.2 and prefer the look of these smaller cavity backs versus the larger clubs that I probably should play.

If you've got a thin miss, but still want something in the more players CB category, take a look at the Srixon 745 as well. The V sole helps get the weight down a bit lower.

Of these, I found the VPC to be better for a thin miss than the AP2, and I haven't tried the MP-25.

I'd say my toe miss is more frequent. Still on the grooves but it feels a little heavy.

IMO, the VPC are a better all around iron than the other two, and frankly the best iron that Nike has put out possibly ever for playability. They are particularly good toe side, I know because I tend to live out there. Didn't review the 25's, but I did review the VPC and 716's. IMO if 716 is where you lean, go 714 and save $$, not enough change performance wise (if at all) to justify unless you prefer the new stylization of the 716's.

I've currently got the 716 AP2s and gamed the MP25s for a bit (I'll get to that). I loved the look and feel of the VPCs. I was really close to getting them but there was a little loss of distance with them that I couldn't come to grips with. Might be ego, but the loss of distance (a little more than half a club) was something I didn't want to deal with. So, I went with the MP25s because they offered more forgiveness with distances that I was used to...maybe half a club more. They looked great at set up but seemed less forgiving than the MP15s for me. Maybe it was the sound/feel at impact that made it appear less forgiving. I shot some good rounds with them, but then noticed that the finish on the vibration dampening badge was chipping away . I contact Mizuno and they said they couldn't do anything about it because I had the clubs reshafted and they were therefore out of warranty. I've always had my eye on AP2s but never felt they performed well for me. I went and hit the 716s and was blown away. I did a head to head with the 714 and was getting about half a club more than the 714 and the feel was solid at impact.

I ended up buying a set and then had wrist surgery shortly after, so I haven't had a chance to get them on the course yet. I will say that I have a little more confidence over the ball when I'm practicing with my AP2s now. The topline appears a bit thicker and isn't as intimidating as the VPCs or MP25s. I also like the larger sole and overall appearance of the club over the other two.

Thanks for the feedback so far. In my testing I didn't have more confidence over the ball with the AP2s. I did with the MP25s as they're short but a little thicker. I'm very tempted just to replace my VPCs because I've liked them so much, but trying a new iron is always tempting.

If you've got a thin miss, but still want something in the more players CB category, take a look at the Srixon 745 as well. The V sole helps get the weight down a bit lower.

Of these, I found the VPC to be better for a thin miss than the AP2, and I haven't tried the MP-25.

I need to find a place to test the Srixons or maybe order a 7 iron. I hear great things about them.

If you like irons of this profile but want a little more distance and forgiveness, I highly recommend the Bridgestone J15 DF. Of the 3 you mention, I agree with others in that I prefer the VPC by a long margin. The DF's feel similar, but in my experience are at least a half a club longer and a touch more forgiving as well.

the bstone j15 df is extremely forgiving. i've hit some shots way out on the toe and way toward the heel that still flew the correct distance and on a very acceptable line. but my lower spin may have something to do with that as well.

if you have a tendency to miss thin, i wouldn't sleep on the cf16. when mark crossman says he's seriously considering the cf16 because of the forgiveness of the cup face technology without sacrificing dispersion or look at address, i think that says something.

i game the j15 df and love them, but i'm thinking about the cf16 for the added forgiveness. short testing did show that the df had tighter dispersion on shots of similar quality, though.

the 745 is a beautiful club, but if you're looking for forgiveness in a compact package i'm not sure that's the best option. same for the 716 and the mizzy. can't speak to the vpc, other than to say i think it's a really good-looking club.

I had the VPC last year, when i still had a bad swing and they didn't do well for me (occasionally hit some beautiful shots). Sold them over the winter, and after taking lessons, believed i could've caused some major damage this year with them. I would probably be more inclined to hit them over the 716 AP2s due to forgiveness. I would expect this over the Mizunos also.

the bstone j15 df is extremely forgiving. i've hit some shots way out on the toe and way toward the heel that still flew the correct distance and on a very acceptable line. but my lower spin may have something to do with that as well.

if you have a tendency to miss thin, i wouldn't sleep on the cf16. when mark crossman says he's seriously considering the cf16 because of the forgiveness of the cup face technology without sacrificing dispersion or look at address, i think that says something.

i game the j15 df and love them, but i'm thinking about the cf16 for the added forgiveness. short testing did show that the df had tighter dispersion on shots of similar quality, though.

the 745 is a beautiful club, but if you're looking for forgiveness in a compact package i'm not sure that's the best option. same for the 716 and the mizzy. can't speak to the vpc, other than to say i think it's a really good-looking club.

At the risk of getting slightly off topic, do you notice the added forgiveness of the CF16 mainly on thin shots?

At the risk of getting slightly off topic, do you notice the added forgiveness of the CF16 mainly on thin shots?

me off topic? I guess there's a first time for everything :alien:

the limited testing I did with the cf16 didn't see any thin shots. I'd love some time with them outdoors off grass. my comment on thin shots is more based on anecdotes from the cf16 review thread where pretty much everybody on that thread raves about the forgiveness at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never tested a Bridgestone club but am definitely curious. I did test the CF16 and it was an entire club longer than my Nikes. Don't have enough experience to know if they're more forgiving. Is the general consensus that they are? They felt and looked great. Though soft, I don't care for the Apex Pros.

I've never tested a Bridgestone club but am definitely curious. I did test the CF16 and it was an entire club longer than my Nikes. Don't have enough experience to know if they're more forgiving. Is the general consensus that they are? They felt and looked great. Though soft, I don't care for the Apex Pros.

CF16 are incredibly forgiving...and fantastic.

CF16 are incredibly forgiving...and fantastic.

Any experience with distance consistency? My shots were straight but from my memory it seems like my front to back dispersion was a little more variable than with my VPCs.

Agree with James, CF16 will be significantly more forgiving than all the clubs mentioned - though I do feel that the Bridgestone DF are the closest of the other clubs mentioned in here, particularly for an iron with a smaller footprint.

Any experience with distance consistency? My shots were straight but from my memory it seems like my front to back dispersion was a little more variable than with my VPCs.

No issues at all.

My miss is thin and toe. I've owned the 745s and the 714 AP2s (which appear to be very similar to the 716s). I find the 25's fit my swing better and allow me to take a correct divot. Interestingly, the 25's were never even on my radar until the fitter put them in my hands. After hitting them all, the 25's were the best by far (for me).

The irons discussed here are all great. You may consider putting the J15 CBs on your list as well. Good luck with your search!

I'll go hit them this weekend and share my thoughts. Any more opinions before I go are welcome. I already feel pangs of regret to leave my Nikes.

My miss is thin and toe. I've owned the 745s and the 714 AP2s (which appear to be very similar to the 716s). I find the 25's fit my swing better and allow me to take a correct divot. Interestingly, the 25's were never even on my radar until the fitter put them in my hands. After hitting them all, the 25's were the best by far (for me).

The irons discussed here are all great. You may consider putting the J15 CBs on your list as well. Good luck with your search!

Yeah the MP25s and CF16s have made their way to the top of my list so I'll test them heavily (off of a mat, unfortunately). I'll give the Bridgestones a try as well.

in the handful of swings I made with these, distance was very consistent. as consistent as my gamers, though just slightly looser side to side dispersion. they're great, just not sure they're that much better than the df.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nike Vapor Pro combo vs 716 AP2 vs MP-25

Looks like the MP25s have won out. I had 1-3mph more ball speed with the 6 iron vs my VPC, but the biggest difference was their look and feel. Great looking top line and a nice contrast in colors on the face. The performance didn't make it worth swapping from my Nikes, but since I'm due for a new set I wanted to try something different.

The Apex irons fly very far with about 1500rpm less spin. Tempting but it creates problems at the top and bottom of my bag. I have no desire to switch my hybrid or wedges. And the sound they made was unique and rewarding, but they didn't feel as crisp as the Mizunos.

The AP2s are pretty and feel fine, but were a little shorter than my Nikes and there was nothing about them that seemed like an upgrade. But definitely the prettiest in the bag, in my opinion. Top line was a little thinner than I like and the club face looked a little shorter (sole to top, not heel to toe).

Didn't try any Bridgestones.

All in all I'd say that the Nikes and MP25s are equally great clubs, but the MPs have the advantage of being new to me so currently take the cake.

Any suggestions on shafts? Was swinging the 6 at 87-90 MPH. Had the DG Pros on my Nikes and liked them fine. I've never really tried different shaft options and have felt like the quoted performance differences between shafts seems overhyped, but I'm happy to be educated on why choose one over another. I'm happy with my current ball flight, though it may be on the high side.

I have the 716 AP2 and love them. I have great results if I slip out toward to toe.. I would recommend these to anyone. The stock shaft is the DG AMT and they are really solid performers. I would highly encourage giving them a whirl!

Back