Black Bear and Royal St. Cloud -- Orlando Area

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone got any feedback on these two courses. I have a tee time to play them next weekend.

Thanks!

Played Royal St Cloud last year in March or April. Nice course, 27 holes. Was nice to get runout in FL on the fairways, but that could have just been luck?

Used to play Black Bear a lot about 12 years ago...loved it. Its a fun layout and lot of elevation change for a Florida course.

I have heard some really good things about Royal St Cloud, all though I have heard they keep the conditions rather damp for a links style course. I can't wait to hear what you have to say, I have been wanting to make it over there for some time.

Haven't played Black Bear in awhile but it has a lot of rolling hills, more so than most Florida courses. I felt as if I was looking at ski slope moguls.

Played Royal St Cloud with Ranger junior last year on a Florida visit , welcoming and helpful staff , nice warm up range and a great course , pick your make up from the three nines to make your 18 I chose UK and Scotland style links , great fun , ....enjoy

I play Royal St Cloud everytime I get to Fl. and usually more than once on each trip, the red course is the newest 9 and can be tough in the wind as it tends to be a bit narrower than the original 18 white and blue, I really like this course , but there is another course about 15-20 mins away that is real nice except it plays through housing areas Remmington and Kissimee Bay are fantastic courses that have play all day packages and this time of year that's a good deal. I hope to be on these courses within the next 2-3 weeks

I hit balls on the range a Black Bear this afternoon. Range was great. Haven't played it in a few months - it's a course I really enjoy. Last time I played it (a few months) it was in good shape. Very good pricing for this time of year. Lots of rolling fairways and I've always thought the greens were very difficult.

Great timing on this tread. I am heading down to Florida in March and these are two courses that on my potential list. I am looking for a few 'more reasonable' courses to play. I will be paying a lot of attention to this thread...

Thanks for all the posts. I will provide an update after this weekend.

Blackbear has everything you want in a golf course. Fast greens, rolling hills, all lengths in each hole. It's a fun course to play.
Royal is okay there are better in that area. They keep it up but I'd rather play Harmony. Btw these courses are on opposite sides of Orlando. Both are 45 from downtown

I play Royal St Cloud everytime I get to Fl. and usually more than once on each trip, the red course is the newest 9 and can be tough in the wind as it tends to be a bit narrower than the original 18 white and blue, I really like this course , but there is another course about 15-20 mins away that is real nice except it plays through housing areas Remmington and Kissimee Bay are fantastic courses that have play all day packages and this time of year that's a good deal. I hope to be on these courses within the next 2-3 weeks

Hitman -- Thanks for the tip...have rounds scheduled for Remmington and Kissimee Bay on Monday & Tuesday.

Hitman -- Thanks for the tip...have rounds scheduled for Remmington and Kissimee Bay on Monday & Tuesday.

Let me know how they are I hope to be in St. Cloud in about 3 weeks and want to hit both of them while I'm there

I played Royal St Cloud today. We arrived around 10:30 and had two tee times around noon. We paid $35 which included range balls.

I enjoyed the driving range because the hitting area was grass and it was flat. Most driving ranges in VA are not level. Range balls were just ok. They also have an excellent short game area which is great because most clubs in northern VA.

As for the course, the fairways are Bermuda and were in good condition. We played from the whites so it is about 6,000 yards.

Greens were running kind of slow. It didn't seem like they were cut close, but once you adjusted it was ok.

There was a tournament in the morning so we started about 15 mins late and the round took about 5 hours.

Overall I would say it was well worth the $35 and I would play again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I played Royal St Cloud today. We arrived around 10:30 and had two tee times around noon. We paid $35 which included range balls.

I enjoyed the driving range because the hitting area was grass and it was flat. Most driving ranges in VA are not level. Range balls were just ok. They also have an excellent short game area which is great because most clubs in northern VA.

As for the course, the fairways are Bermuda and were in good condition. We played from the whites so it is about 6,000 yards.

Greens were running kind of slow. It didn't seem like they were cut close, but once you adjusted it was ok.

There was a tournament in the morning so we started about 15 mins late and the round took about 5 hours.

Overall I would say it was well worth the $35 and I would play again.

Which lay out did you play red/white, white/blue or blue /red I really like the white and blue lay out, because it was the original 18 an I've played it more than the red so I'm used to it, now the red is great a ball strikers 9 holes because you really need to be able to work the ball. I'll be there next Sunday around 2:30 if Southwest is on time

White and blue

That's the original 18 , I see your playing Remmington? That course should have faster greens, they pride themselves on walked/hand mowed greens, nice layout, lots of houses but you would really have to work to get to them with a ball, Kissimee Bay is also nice, slightly tighter, some houses could be reached with a wild shot but all in all a nice layout. and I belive Lee Jansen lives there some where on the back, there is a bench and a plaque with I belive his mothers picture on it, a par 3 with a pond in front.

I played Black Bear today. Very nice course in excellent condition. Fast greens, deep bunkers, undulated greens.....fun course.

That's the original 18 , I see your playing Remmington? That course should have faster greens, they pride themselves on walked/hand mowed greens, nice layout, lots of houses but you would really have to work to get to them with a ball, Kissimee Bay is also nice, slightly tighter, some houses could be reached with a wild shot but all in all a nice layout. and I belive Lee Jansen lives there some where on the back, there is a bench and a plaque with I belive his mothers picture on it, a par 3 with a pond in front.

I played Kissimmee Bay and Remmington the last two days. Both of the courses were in excellent shape, had friendly staffs, and were fun to play. The 'all you can play' deal was worth it. We played 36 holes both days.

I played Kissimmee Bay and Remmington the last two days. Both of the courses were in excellent shape, had friendly staffs, and were fun to play. The 'all you can play' deal was worth it. We played 36 holes both days.

That's great to hear, best thing I like about the all you can play is I as a single can get to play with twosome's or threesome's and have a blast getting to play and meet new people

I played Black Bear today. Very nice course in excellent condition. Fast greens, deep bunkers, undulated greens.....fun course.

This is the one I PMed you about BG. I played this last year before the Ulti-demo weekend and Loved it. I plan on hitting this course at the end of this month.
The greens are def. fast and I liked the hills something you don't see a lot of in Fl.

I took a trip to the Orlando area last April and played 5 courses. Deltona Club, Legends G & CC, Magnolia Plantation, Diamondback and Black Bear. Booked the package on Golfpactravel and got a really good deal (9 rounds for just over $300). Black Bear was my favorite. It's a great layout and in great condition but the play was a bit slow. Deltona was the cheapest course I played and although it wasn't in pristine condition it was still a fun course and a really good test. Legends G & CC was definitely my second favorite. It was fairly similar to Black Bear in that it had a lot of elevation change and was in great shape. Legends is definitely a must play. Magnolia was a thorn in my side. There's water everywhere you look and the conditions weren't the best. If you spray the ball, stay away from Magnolia. Diamondback was the most interesting course. It felt like it was in the middle of nowhere so there was a nice feeling of privacy. The course was beautifully maintained but it it was very tight and had small greens. I put up some big numbers that day but it was a really fun course to play.

We are heading down to Vacation Villiage at Parkway in June and I am going to be hitting up a couple days of golf by myself. Looks like Kissimmee Bay and Remmington are about 30 min away and within my budget (especially with golfnow) and I like the fact I may be able to sneak in an extra 18 while the wife and kids are at Disney. Do either of these offer GPS?

The resort recommends Shingle Creek and Falcon's Fire, they are super close, as is Celebration, but unless they have killer summer rates I just simply cant afford those.

Wherever I end up, it will be on a weekday, if any of you guys are able I would certainly rather share my tee time with a THP'er. Otherwise, any additional reccomendations withing 30 min of Celebration and reasonably priced is appreciated!

We are heading down to Vacation Villiage at Parkway in June and I am going to be hitting up a couple days of golf by myself. Looks like Kissimmee Bay and Remmington are about 30 min away and within my budget (especially with golfnow) and I like the fact I may be able to sneak in an extra 18 while the wife and kids are at Disney. Do either of these offer GPS?

From my memory I don't think either Kissimmee Bay or Remmington had GPSs in the cart.

Falcon's Fire was pretty spotty when I played there a couple years ago in April.

Back