Help with IRONS and SOLID Contact...

Nalajr

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

Just starting back into golf after a LONG time away. I went to the range yesterday and had mixed results at best. First time I have hit balls in over a year so I can be that mad.

Anyway, I have ALWAYS had this problem with my irons and would love to get some tips or drills to practice to help me cure it. The first thing is that I can't consistently hit the SWEET SPOT on my irons. I put my shoulders a bit more than shoulder width apart and the ball in the middle of my stance. I line up with the ball right in the middle of my iron heads and when I strike the ball I will almost always be out towards the toe. Sometimes it is way out there. I usually don't have a problem keeping the ball on line, but I do suffer a lot of distance loss. What do I do to correct this?

The last problem is also an iron problem that has also been with me since starting to play. I almost NEVER take a proper divot. I will just barely scrape the ground when hitting irons. I seem to do better when hitting off of the thick astro-turf though. Again I don't usually lose the ball left or right and if I do, it's only slight, but I do suffer distance loss.

If I can cure these 2 things I would be tremendously happy.

Do you have any drills or practice tips I can use to cure these problems?

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

Back