SlightDraw

Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 11
What are they?

Do you use them on the course? Do two people put up a coin and play a match and the winner gets both coins? Do you have to earn them?

I've seen a few posts showcasing them but not the meaning behind them. Curious why they are called "Challenge" Coins

I use them on course as a ball maker and also use on display in a case here at home.

Challenge Coins was originally a military thing. You carry around one at all times and whenever you go out drinking, whoever dosent have theirs or whoever has the lowest one has to buy drinks. You can get them for achievements from high ranking officials. I have a few of them from some of my old Commanding Generals.

Some manufacturers have their own version of the Challenge Coins but I have not tried to collect any of them myself.

Challenge Coins was originally a military thing. You carry around one at all times and whenever you go out drinking, whoever dosent have theirs or whoever has the lowest one has to buy drinks. You can get them for achievements from high ranking officials. I have a few of them from some of my old Commanding Generals.

Some manufacturers have their own version of the Challenge Coins but I have not tried to collect any of them myself.

I've never heard of whoever has the "lowest" one buys the drinks. The challenge is simple. A person initiates the challenge and then whoever doesn't have their coin buys drinks for the challenger. If everyone has their coin, the challenger buys drinks for everyone challenged. Period.

====================================================

Challenge Coin Rules
1. Rules of the coin game must be given or explained to all new coin holders.
2. The coin MUST be carried at all times. You can be challenged for it anywhere, at any time. You must produce the coin without taking more than 1 step (and a reach) to produce it.

3. When challenging, the challenger must state whether it is for a single drink or a round of drinks.
4. Failure to produce a coin, for whatever reason, results in a bought round or single drinks (whatever the challenger stated). This type of transaction could be expensive, so hold onto your coin. Once the offender (coinless challengee) has bought the drink or round, they can't be challenged again.
5. If all that are challenged produce their coins, the challenger loses and must buy the drinks for all respondents. This too can be expensive, so challenge wisely.
6. Under no circumstances can a coin be handed to another in response to a challenge. If a person gives their coin to another, that person can now keep the coin -- it's theirs!!! However, if a person places the coin down and another person picks it up to examine it, that is not considered giving and the examiner is honor-bound to place the coin back where they got it. The examiner can't challenge while they hold another's coin.

7. If a coin is lost, replacement is up to the individual. A new coin should be acquired at the earliest opportunity -- losing a coin and not replacing it doesn't relieve a member of his or her responsibilities.

8. There are no exceptions to the rules. They apply to clothed or un-clothed. One step and an arms reach are allowed.
9. A Coin is a Coin. They are not belt buckles, key chains or necklaces. Coins worn in a holder around the neck are valid.
10. The coin should be controlled at all times. Giving a coin to just anyone is like opening a fraternity to just anyone. It is an honor to be given a coin, let's keep it that way. A given or awarded coin is of more personal value than a purchased coin.
11. No holes may be drilled in a coin.
12. The above rules apply to anyone who is worthy to be given/awarded a coin, has a purchased coin, or who is known to be a previous coinholder.

They're popular amongst fire depts now as well. I've collected or traded with a dozen different depts. We follow the posted rules.

Just curious ... do all coins have some kind of rank on them? I know about the Callaway coins but they don't have any rank on them.

Just curious ... do all coins have some kind of rank on them? I know about the Callaway coins but they don't have any rank on them.

No not all coins have a rank on them. Usually only a commander's coin and those are usually an 0-6 or above.

Correction - E9's (top enlisted rank) will have theirs also.

My uncle used to work for Mack Truck and they had challenge coins. When you started with the company you got one minted for that year and had to keep it at all times, or buy drinks.

The military ones are really cool, but definitely not one I would ever feel right about having unless it was a gift from someone in the military.

I've seen the POTUS one in a listing I was showing and I had to ask how he got it. Bets with the president are probably pretty fun hahaha

I've never heard of whoever has the "lowest" one buys the drinks. The challenge is simple. A person initiates the challenge and then whoever doesn't have their coin buys drinks for the challenger. If everyone has their coin, the challenger buys drinks for everyone challenged. Period.

====================================================

Challenge Coin Rules
1. Rules of the coin game must be given or explained to all new coin holders.
2. The coin MUST be carried at all times. You can be challenged for it anywhere, at any time. You must produce the coin without taking more than 1 step (and a reach) to produce it.

3. When challenging, the challenger must state whether it is for a single drink or a round of drinks.
4. Failure to produce a coin, for whatever reason, results in a bought round or single drinks (whatever the challenger stated). This type of transaction could be expensive, so hold onto your coin. Once the offender (coinless challengee) has bought the drink or round, they can't be challenged again.
5. If all that are challenged produce their coins, the challenger loses and must buy the drinks for all respondents. This too can be expensive, so challenge wisely.
6. Under no circumstances can a coin be handed to another in response to a challenge. If a person gives their coin to another, that person can now keep the coin -- it's theirs!!! However, if a person places the coin down and another person picks it up to examine it, that is not considered giving and the examiner is honor-bound to place the coin back where they got it. The examiner can't challenge while they hold another's coin.

7. If a coin is lost, replacement is up to the individual. A new coin should be acquired at the earliest opportunity -- losing a coin and not replacing it doesn't relieve a member of his or her responsibilities.

8. There are no exceptions to the rules. They apply to clothed or un-clothed. One step and an arms reach are allowed.
9. A Coin is a Coin. They are not belt buckles, key chains or necklaces. Coins worn in a holder around the neck are valid.
10. The coin should be controlled at all times. Giving a coin to just anyone is like opening a fraternity to just anyone. It is an honor to be given a coin, let's keep it that way. A given or awarded coin is of more personal value than a purchased coin.
11. No holes may be drilled in a coin.
12. The above rules apply to anyone who is worthy to be given/awarded a coin, has a purchased coin, or who is known to be a previous coinholder.

I was taught these same rules. Anytime I leave the house, I have my coin on me. Have not missed a single day since my Brigade commander gave me mine back in 1988.

Military coins for the most part have the rank of both the commander (Battalion command and above) and the senior enlisted (sergeant major & command sergeant major) it is too expensive for them to have separate coins. There are exceptions though the Sergeant Major of the Army and the Chief of Staff of the Army have separate coins.

I guess it's just where I've been, but most company sized elements I've been in have had a challenge coin associated with the company. Depends on how much the CO wants to shell out. Some of the nicest coins I own are Company coins. There's less push to have them be particularly formal.

I like the ones that double as bottle-openers, myself.

Some of the Navy coins display the rank of the individual, but some do not... The design of the coin is up to the originator. For example, Commander Seventh Fleet is always a VADM, so no need for him to put "VADM" on his coin. His rank is known. So, rank of coin is basically positional, for example, everyone in the Navy knows PACFLT's coin (4 star) trumps 7th FLT's coin (3 star). I am on leave, but can post pics of coins I have been gifted when I return to the office.

RE: the rules. A pouch around the neck was normal during showers.

Sent from my G3 using TapaTalk Pro

Here is my collection over the last 29 years.
04e3fc6cdf2e96aeb018ee358cdc486c.jpg
f3e9faaac523303c4c1044f2f68e63ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice collection

Until this thread came up, I had no idea the backstory of them. I use a few of my THP coins as ball markers, and have some Callaway coins on a shelf in my office. I'm not a collector by any means, but now knowing how these coins originated, I think I'll keep them.

Holy cow that is one awesome collection you have there!

At the USO in PHL...
3bc8c98f0657919e92d971be864e7329.jpg

Here's my small collection. I only have coins that were gifted to me...
f02dd7767ab7a939c9b8d772431f3c96.jpg

Most of mine are in a drawer somewhere except for this one. Here is a link to the presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ6tehqR2mM
I wear it for military funerals and dedications only. It means a lot to me.

warriors%20Medal%20of%20Valor_zpsmyvoachq.jpg

630602e4-4d93-4770-be6a-cf96c660cf2c_zps0rllrbsl.jpg

Last edited:
Back