7 Fairway vs 3 hybrid??

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
I normally use a 3 hybrid that is 21 degree...it is Callaway IZ. I just purchased a Cleveland Mashie 7 wood which is 20.5 degree as an experiment to replace it.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what were your results?

I did that for the 2012 Morgan Cup. I actually hit the 7W quite well and it was fairly versatile in that I used it off the tee, fairway, sand, and rough. In the end, I went back to the hybrid though. Just a comfort zone thing. I like a shorter shaft for that gap and even the 7W was a little long for me.

I did that for the 2012 Morgan Cup. I actually hit the 7W quite well and it was fairly versatile in that I used it off the tee, fairway, sand, and rough. In the end, I went back to the hybrid though. Just a comfort zone thing. I like a shorter shaft for that gap and even the 7W was a little long for me.

Could be a good replacement when you play a course with lots of trouble in front of the greeen and need higher traj and less roll.

I tested the TaylorMade R9 7-wood. It was a great little product however I still prefer a hybrid over a FW.

I used a Mashie M3 for awhile in place of my 7 wood but ended up going back to the 7 wood as I have just always hit my fairway woods more consistently than hybrids.

I've always had a hard time hitting a 3 hybrid so I use the 7 wood in its place with very good success.

I moved from a 7w to 3h recently. I feel more confident with the hybrid, especially from the rough and non-traditional situations (like bumping out from under trees etc.

I played a 7W pretty much all of last year. I think that it just depends on what works for you. I couldn't find a hybrid that I didn't hook off the planet, hence the F7.

Now I've recently found the J40 3H, and like it very much. Feel like it's a little easier to get after, and responds better to a harder swing from me.. Time will tell though.

Recently put an RBZ 7 wood in over my 4 iron which wasnt getting much action,love it!!! Was getting 220 out of it,my 4 iron was lucky to get 200

I normally use a 3 hybrid that is 21 degree...it is Callaway IZ. I just purchased a Cleveland Mashie 7 wood which is 20.5 degree as an experiment to replace it.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what were your results?

i have just done the same, I have a mashie 3,5 & 7 wood, I normally play 3 &5wood and the onto 4 hybrid, I am struggling to hit the4 hybrid and I am now trying the 7 wood instead. I can hit the 5 wood really well and I am hoping I can dothesame with the 7 wood

I entered the year with a 2-4 hybrids. I tried a lot of combos this year, but ended the year with a 4W, 7W. I found this combo to be easier and more consistent than the hybrids. The 7W also flies higher than the 3H which lets it land up softer despite similar distances.

bobgeorge: I am not sure about your experience, but I owned the FT-IZ hybrids and found them to be the lowest launching hybrid that I have personally hit. The 2H that I had reminded me a lot of the old 1 iron days. What some would call penetrating, I would call low bullets that really didn't stop. I didn't find that an easy club to hit, particularly out of any sort of weird lie. It's sad because I thought it was a beautiful club and I really wanted to like them. I mention this because if you're comparing a 7W to a FT-IZ hybrid, then I think you're going to find most 7Ws easier. I say this only because I found the FT-IZ to be one of the tougher hybrids for me to hit well (that falls in a GI/SGI category).

Back