Picker/sweeper or digger or other?

Anditeo

Streaky
Reaction score
Handicap
~5
Just curious to here some of the different people and their style of hitting irons
I'm a certified picker. My best iron shots take about 2 blades of grass out of the turf. Works well for me. I've tried taking larger divots, and I just end up chunking it. So I stick to picking it.

Last edited:
Im a sweeper/picker, hoping to fix that soon

Oops! It's not about the nose.

digger for the most part, sweeper as the club gets longer.

I'm definitely a picker. My best iron shots are picks. Just the way I am.

Picker/scooper - I've never been one to take a divot (correctly, I might add), but I'm working on it!

I'm a digger. I've gotten pretty good at pinching it over the last few years where I rack up pretty good back spin.

Certified digger here.

I am a 100% digger. On a wedge it isn't uncommon for me to hit a great shot and have dirt in every groove on my club from going so deep.

Digger. Does anyone know if there is a benefit to one or the other? I'm curious!
Usually, digging is the more "accepted" form, because it pinches the ball, which creates backspin, and sends it on a more controllable flight. Sergio Garcia is a great example of a digger. Lower ballflight, and he's an excellent ballstriker. However, do what is most comfortable. Steve Stricker is known for taking very little divot, and he too is a very good ballstriker.

Usually, digging is the more "accepted" form, because it pinches the ball, which creates backspin, and sends it on a more controllable flight. Sergio Garcia is a great example of a digger. Lower ballflight, and he's an excellent ballstriker. However, do what is most comfortable. Steve Stricker is known for taking very little divot, and he too is a very good ballstriker.

I'm comfortable digging just wanted to see. Thanks buddy!

Used to be a picker, but after a swing change last year I have started taking more divots. Definitely get bigger the shorter the club in my hands is.

I'm certainly a sweeper but would like to swing a little easier with a little more lag in my clubhead and dig/pick it... I've never really bought into the pinch or press the ball into the ground theory as the turf generally offers negligible resistance to a swing unless its truly chunked. However with a delofted face angle striking the ball on the downswing the ball is going to come out hot on a lower trajectory...

A bit of a digger I guess.

Miner lol. Last year I took some horrible deep divots.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Picker/scooper - I've never been one to take a divot (correctly, I might add), but I'm working on it!

Pretty much the same thing. I cast/release early and it aids me in doing this. I started taking divots last year for the first time in a long time. Hopefully I can continue that this season.

I'm a sweeper/picker but I'm trying to change that. Started last year but my divots still aren't great, very shallow if any divot at all. I have been working on hitting down on the ball and am noticing if I moved the ball 3-4 inches back in my stance my divots would be perfect :dont-know: (ugh, fat shots).

I'm a picker of the ball and have been one ever since I started playing. My attack angle is quite shallow so if I take a divot, it's pretty much a surprise :bulgy-eyes:. Greg Norman was a picker of the ball who was a solid ball striker in his day.

I like to pick the ball but with Wedges I digs into them

Digger. I started as a sweeper but after some lessons and a few tweaks to setup and ball position, it just came naturally to start taking divots.

I prefer it that way because with a divot you can analyze your own swing somewhat as well as far as lie angle at impact and out to in or in to out on the swing.

Back