ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Update
THP Review can be found on the home page here.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/ranger-by-60beat-golf-gps-watch-review/

Distance measuring devices have become a big part of golf. Rangefinders, standalone GPS units, GPS watches, and hybrid devices can be found quite frequently when out on the course. Many of them cost over $100. In an era with smartphones, people have some sort of GPS on them at pretty much all times. But what if you could use your location services on your phone, and have those numbers show up on a watch? That’s what 60Beat has come up with for their release of the Ranger Golf GPS Watch.

The Ranger pairs with your iPhone to show the front, middle, and back distances to a green. Download and turn on the app from the Apple App Store, pair the watch with the app, select your course, and you are good to go. Currently this devices only works with iPhones, however they do have an Android App in development. The Ranger can be purchased for $59.99.

From 60Beat
Get Distance to the hole on your Sports Watch - The 60beat Ranger Golf Watch and Golf Watch App combination transforms your Watch/ iPhone into the ultimate golf rangefinder. The 60beat Ranger connects wirelessly to the iPhone 4S, 5, 5S, 6 and 6 plus. It delivers distance from your location to the front, middle and back of the green. Works directly with iPhone. The battery life is 3 years (depending on use) and is replaceable. The watch can receive signals from a phone over 25 yards away, so you don't need to be that close to your phone/golf bag. Works with GPS Golf Watch by 60beat app - Available in the iPhone app store. The app is free and includes more than 34,000 golf courses.
Works directly with iPhone 4S, 5, 5S, 6 and 6 plus
Replaceable battery - lasts 3 years - no need to recharge
Transmits over 25 yards
Works with GPS Golf Watch by 60beat
Easy setup
Sport Watch features - Time of Day, Alarm and Stopwatch

i-cx79p5c-L.jpg

i-p6ssJTc-L.jpg

i-WBM9ZMb-L.jpg

i-MmtDkRQ-L.jpg

i-f8zxNQ2-L.jpg

i-pRkp4Fm-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a novel idea I can get behind. Basically your paying for display only on your wrist and letting your phone do the work.

• Staff
This is a novel idea I can get behind. Basically your paying for display only on your wrist and letting your phone do the work.

pretty much. I like that it runs on a simple watch battery. No need to recharge. Something one could leave in the bag and just use. I used it all weekend, and will again tomorrow. Have some positives and negatives to it. Want to test it out again tomorrow though before really commenting on the negatives.

I like the idea, what is the drain on the smart phone battery?

• Staff
I like the idea, what is the drain on the smart phone battery?

yesterday I saw a touch over 20% for a round that was just under 3.5 hours. That's one thing I'm going to test tomorrow again because there are spots on the course I was at yesterday where cell service gets spotty.

This is a good idea, especially if you're using it in conjunction w/ a rangefinder. It's basically what I'm doing now with the Apple Watch.

Freddie - on the iPhone at least, I can play 18 holes and I'm probably at 60+% battery left. Different app and all, but for the length of a round of golf, I don't think battery will be that much of an issue. Interested to hear ddec's comments on that though.

Simple yet effective. I have a watch on my bag I use for quick yardages when my laser isn't handy or I forget to use it.

3yr battery life is pretty impressive

Hey Dean, assuming the yardages are updating constantly on the watch, do you have to hit a button or something to get the # and then is it instant?

That isnt that bad. with the onset of portable re-chargers this could be a great inexpensive GPS option.
yesterday I saw a touch over 20% for a round that was just under 3.5 hours. That's one thing I'm going to test tomorrow again because there are spots on the course I was at yesterday where cell service gets spotty.

That isnt that bad. with the onset of portable re-chargers this could be a great inexpensive GPS option.

Certainly a budget option. Was fairly comfortable to wear while playing as well.

is that new? there are some cheap smartwatches that can do the same thing. plus, if you leave you phone in your bag you are screwed

My big issue with watches have been the buttons. I always seem to hit them when making a back swing. This looks to be pretty stream line. Any issue when you cocked your wrist?
Certainly a budget option. Was fairly comfortable to wear while playing as well.

Hey Dean, assuming the yardages are updating constantly on the watch, do you have to hit a button or something to get the # and then is it instant?

yeah that's something I didn't quite like. You have to hit a button on the watch, which then connects to the phone, and gets your yardage. They don't stay on the screen like my Neo X does, you constantly have to hit the button to check. And there is about a 7-10 second delay. I'll record one tomorrow to show.

yeah that's something I didn't quite like. You have to hit a button on the watch, which then connects to the phone, and gets your yardage. They don't stay on the screen like my Neo X does, you constantly have to hit the button to check. And there is about a 7-10 second delay. I'll record one tomorrow to show.

Oh suck, 7-10 seconds times a crap load of shots for me equals even slower rounds

I am not an Apple person, so have no interest in this, and have my Garmin watch anyway so doubt I would purchase it even if the Android version becomes available

Do you have a GPS watch that you can use to compare the differences between the 2 devices?

This is a big reason why I am not a fan of GPS apps on a phone as you are reliant on coverage for map views and lack of coverage can either mean it is very slow to update (assuming it does update at all), or because it is constantly searching for a signal it drains the battery very quickly

As this is only for providing the F/M/B distances I would have liked to see it not being reliant on a mobile signal and only using the GPS capabilities of the phone

I regularly wear a Bushnell Neo-X, so yes I can do some side by side comparisons.

7-10 second delay? Never mind. My patience with my swing is enough to deal with without adding a tape delay.

I regularly wear a Bushnell Neo-X, so yes I can do some side by side comparisons.

Great, I am curious to see what differences, if any, are shown between the 2 devices

Especially considering I played a couple weeks ago with someone who had the S1 watch and when we put both watches within inches of each other we were getting different readings, sometimes by as much as 5yds

Edit - when I say watches, I mean my Garmin S4

Fantastic idea here. My only concern was what Freddie mentioned, but a drain of only 20% on the phone is not bad at all. Like was said earlier, the use of a regular battery where you can just leave attached to the bag and not have to recharge every 2 rounds is a great thing.

Great, I am curious to see what differences, if any, are shown between the 2 devices

Especially considering I played a couple weeks ago with someone who had the S1 watch and when we put both watches within inches of each other we were getting different readings, sometimes by as much as 5yds

Edit - when I say watches, I mean my Garmin S4

I will have both on me tomorrow, as well as a laser to check numbers.

Fantastic idea here. My only concern was what Freddie mentioned, but a drain of only 20% on the phone is not bad at all. Like was said earlier, the use of a regular battery where you can just leave attached to the bag and not have to recharge every 2 rounds is a great thing.

to me, that's one of the big selling points. It's inexpensive and something I can leave in the bag without worrying about the battery.

Alright some quick videos to show the delay I was talking about when trying to get your distance.

Yeah those delays are too long, no thanks especially with other options out there and the point and click ease of a laser

Yeah those delays are too long, no thanks especially with other options out there and the point and click ease of a laser

I tend to agree with you. If I remembered to push the search button prior to getting to my ball, it was business as usual. However you know how forgetful I am.

It's a really interesting concept. Personally, I don't want to use my phone for anything golf related on course, so this ends up falling outside my realm of interest.

That said, the delay would spin me in circles.

Back