woodenshoe

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else have this problem....I have a terrible time hitting woods or hybrids but when it comes to irons I am hitting them better then I ever have. I played yesterday and shot 42 and 45 which is great for me...but I did not take a wood or hybrid out of the bag. I snap hook my woods and hybrids....I hit one 3 iron yesterday will over 210 yards and that is very long for me. I would really like to be hitting my woods. Anyone else have trouble like this?

Anyone else have this problem....I have a terrible time hitting woods or hybrids but when it comes to irons I am hitting them better then I ever have. I played yesterday and shot 42 and 45 which is great for me...but I did not take a wood or hybrid out of the bag. I snap hook my woods and hybrids....I hit one 3 iron yesterday will over 210 yards and that is very long for me. I would really like to be hitting my woods. Anyone else have trouble like this?

Why do you do a video and post it in the Ask the Pro thread woodenshoe? I am sure they can help you out.

I was stuck in that same spot earlier this year and last. I have always come in very steep and that has made it difficult I believe for me to hit woods and hybrids. I have always been a very good iron player though. My focus lately has been to flatten out my swing plane and it has really changed the way I hit my hybrids and woods.

Right now I am hitting them better than ever and pretty consistently.

Same problem here. I shot an 86 (10 better than avg) on an extremely tough course because I was throwing darts with my irons & 4h. My wood and driver are no good. I played later in the day at another course and was back in the mid-90's using the driver and woods. It wasn't as fun off the tee box but without the longer clubs but it was nice to see the low score.

I guess I will leave the driver/wood in the bag if they don't go where I want after two holes. :D

I was never good with fairway woods ten years ago I pulled them out of the bag and went with hyrids only and have no desire to go back.

I have the same problem, but I learned that the amount of backspin I get on my irons helps me keep from getting so much hook or slice and for some reason I feel more confident hitting Irons. I think ball position really messes with my head!

It sounds like your swing is pretty good if you hit yout irons that well, but like leiruageto said it could be the spin on irons that help but could be the way the clubheads are weighted or the weight of the whole club. This is something you can play around with if you tinker with your own clubs. The heavy clubs from Boccieri might also help. Just my 2 cents.

I have a similar problem but all my clubs I have to fight a draw/hook. Could just work on the swing but who wants to do that. As a friend of mine who is a club fitter always says your driver each round is the longest club you hit in the fairway!

This is a common problem. Longer clubs, no tee. We all tend to try to help the clubs and over swing. When I slow down and think for a minute and make a good, solid tempo swing, I hit the, well. If I don't take that breath and think, it's a hook, or a top, or something ugly. It comes. Takes practice. In the meantime, don't practice on the course, you just make the same mistake and enforce the lack of confidence.

With a wood or hybrid you have to think sweep and not hit down at the ball. On your first move back from the ball instead of swinging up sharply right from the back of the ball try to brush the grass behind it by keeping the club head lower for a few inches at least. This will tend to widen your swing arc through the ball without doing anything else. Go straight back from the ball not inside or outside. Coming back down you want to feel like you are pulling the clubhead through the ball with the back of your left hand and not hitting down at it with the right hand, the right side has to stay pretty quiet. It is a longer fuller swing. I went through a stage a few years ago when for a few weeks I could hit a 5W or a 3W straighter than I could hit a 9 iron or a wedge. I had worked hard on my FW swing and it creeped into my iron swing and messed up my contact with irons for a while. The 2 swings are not exactly the same, similar but not the same.

I can sweep my woods and hit them well off the deck sometimes (5 wood better that 3 wood) but I find it easier to hit down on my hybrids and I hit them more constantly like this. For a while I was a really constant iron player, I could hit my irons really well and straight with the occasional draw.

I'd guarantee that the woods/hybrids feel alot lighter in your hands? I would say that you are doing the same swing but its jut going faster with the decrease in weight, slow it down and concentrate and you should be fine

I am in the same boat. I stopped carrying woods in my bag years ago. I may be missing out on not having a 3 wood for those long shots from the turf but it keeps me from thinking, "maybe this time..." and slicing it off into oblivion.

I'm the other way around, constantly trying to leave myself distances of around 175-230 yards so I can use my Mashies rather than irons, even my normally reliable 7i has gone all over the place

Take a look at your divot. I have/had a similar problem. I can throw darts with irons but can't hit a driver to save my soul.

For me it's all about coming over the top. I got comfortable with a closed stance, over the top outside in swing. Irons were perfect.... driver, no way.

I'm fixing it. I've got the driver pretty well on it's way to recovery but a huge cost to the irons which are pretty bad now.

Back