The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Happy Fathers Day to Tiger too (fist pump)

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

So does Hunter Mahan. It's just funny that two Faley students have such unreliable short games. How does that happen? Too much mechanics vs not enough feel?

His short game is atrocious. My wife even laughed at him yesterday with his putt on 17 I believe. He missed by a solid six inches. He was doing that all day with the exception of the putt on #9. The chip on 18 was another example of a lousy short game.

Im not sure I would say atrocious. The first two days it looked darn good. Yesterday his entire game struggled including the short game. Its easy to come in after the bad round and say how awful the segments are, but the 1st two days showed that when its clicking (and it was 2 out of 3), he can win golf tournaments.

So does Hunter Mahan. It's just funny that two Faley students have such unreliable short games. How does that happen? Too much mechanics vs not enough feel?

I do believe that this is not coincidence. Although hard to argue that both have been winners. Stephen Ames short game is in the crapper as well. Justin Rose's comes and goes. However I have always said its his putter and not his wedge game that keeps him in contention.

I do believe that this is not coincidence. Although hard to argue that both have been winners. Stephen Ames short game is in the crapper as well. Justin Rose's comes and goes. However I have always said its his putter and not his wedge game that keeps him in contention.

Mahan only won b/c he putted lights freaking out. It's just weird that Mahan/Tiger seem to have the same miss, that flubbed/chunked chip shot.

Tiger has sucked out of the sand all three rounds. They showed his sand save numbers and it was awful. Then they Furyk and it was something like 7/8.

The bunker play of Tiger yesterday almost sounded amateurish,, it was heavy and dull sounding and the results were less than favorable. He's gotta get his crap together.

Tiger has sucked out of the sand all three rounds. They showed his sand save numbers and it was awful. Then they Furyk and it was something like 7/8.

I really want to make a joke about Tiger and sand.

He said post round that he just kept putting himself at awkward distances. Wtf?! You're Tiger Woods dude. You pride yourself on distance control. He was off something fierce yesterday. He was never hole high it seemed.

Really good points. I had never thought of it in that way, but it is very true.

I really want to make a joke about Tiger and sand.

He said post round that he just kept putting himself at awkward distances. Wtf?! You're Tiger Woods dude. You pride yourself on distance control. He was off something fierce yesterday. He was never hole high it seemed.

If you look at his stats from this year, his accuracy from 50-125 yards is awful for his standards. He's really hitting the ball well off of the tee, and with his length he should have a lot of approaches with short clubs in his hands, and he hasn't been good from that range all year. If he tightens that up, then he gets shorter putts, what a novel concept.

If you look at his stats from this year, his accuracy from 50-125 yards is awful for his standards. He's really hitting the ball well off of the tee, and with his length he should have a lot of approaches with short clubs in his hands, and he hasn't been good from that range all year. If he tightens that up, then he gets shorter putts, what a novel concept.

You are right about that, however he has not hit driver all that well, but really never did. However now when it is in his hands, you almost cringe. The ironic part of this is, we have been saying the same thing for almost 14 months. Its like saying if Phil could putt better, or if ZJ could hit it further. At some point you have to wonder "if", not when.

You are right about that, however he has not hit driver all that well, but really never did. However now when it is in his hands, you almost cringe. The ironic part of this is, we have been saying the same thing for almost 14 months. Its like saying if Phil could putt better, or if ZJ could hit it further. At some point you have to wonder "if", not when.

I'll disagree somewhat, in that if you look at the first 2 rounds at this tournament and for the majority of the Memorial, he hit the driver pretty well. He hasn't had to use it all that much at the US Open, but he looked pretty good with the driver in his hands. Yesterday was a bit off, but still not as bad as him at the Masters or Players.

I'll disagree somewhat, in that if you look at the first 2 rounds at this tournament and for the majority of the Memorial, he hit the driver pretty well. He hasn't had to use it all that much at the US Open, but he looked pretty good with the driver in his hands. Yesterday was a bit off, but still not as bad as him at the Masters or Players.

But that is my point. If you look at bits and pieces of anything, you can make stats fit perfectly. In the events he has fared well in, he has not had to hit driver much, in the events he has had to, he has struggled. To me that says everything.

Tiger goes pretty low today and puts himself in contention.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

They're talking on the golf channel about tiger's problem being that he still doesn't trust his swing and that he can't fix his swing on the course. That might be true, but I don't think that's his problem.

I've said before and I'm far from the only one, Tiger's short game still stinks compared to what it used to. he had a bad ball striking day today, just couldn't really find it or get anything going, that happens to everybody even the best. The problem is that his short game is still poor so when he has a bad ballstriking day, mr. woods can't save himself. I think tiger is 2 for 10 in sand saves this week, that's almost unbelievable for him and certainly not anything you can win a major with. Tiger still doesn't make putts either. Old Tiger would routinely take rounds that should be 75's and turn them into 71's with his short game. New Tiger turns 68's into 71's because he can't make putts.

They can analyze his swing and his miscue's from the tee and fairway today and this week to death, but the reason tiger loses isn't because of ocassionally bad ballstriking, it's because of consistantly poor short game.

I would add that his distance control, especially his wedges, is whack right now.

What he is doing are the same things that any golfer is capable of when they don't fully trust their swing under pressure. Trying to kill the driver to get more distance and steering approach shots and coming up short. I thought he even hit a few a little fat and that is caused by decelerating through the ball, again not trusting the swing.

Im not sure I would say atrocious. The first two days it looked darn good. Yesterday his entire game struggled including the short game. Its easy to come in after the bad round and say how awful the segments are, but the 1st two days showed that when its clicking (and it was 2 out of 3), he can win golf tournaments.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe it was just bad luck and he ended up with a lot of unmakeable putts the first two days (which can happen at a us open), but I watched his entire round friday and the way mr. woods struck the ball tee to green he should have shot a 67 or a 68. Old eldrick shoots 67 with the way he hit the ball. As I said in the us open thread, the way he botched 7 on thursday and friday as well as 16, 17. His short game cost him, in my estimation, at least 4 or 5 strokes on those holes.

As others have said mr. woods distance control is not up to standards either, which is illuminated by the poor short game, and it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on his tee and iron game. There's little question in my mind with the way he hit the ball friday and saturday that 5-6 years ago he shoots 67 on friday and scrambles for a 71 on saturday as feherty fawns "that was an unbelievable round of 1 over, a mortal would have shot 75." Well a mortal did shoot 75 yesterday indeed.

And yet if you read through my posts throughout the two threads, you will see you are kind of mistaking what I am saying. I do not think anything that only alters a stroke or two can be called "Atrocious".

I also believe that quite a few people that "remember" Tiger Woods are remembering highlight reels and not actual rounds (generalization).

And yet if you read through my posts throughout the two threads, you will see you are kind of mistaking what I am saying. I do not think anything that only alters a stroke or two can be called "Atrocious".

I also believe that quite a few people that "remember" Tiger Woods are remembering highlight reels and not actual rounds (generalization).

That's fair. I would compromise and say his short game the first two days was average by championship standards (aside from the flub on 18. Listening to the announcers they also felt that his sand game was terrible)

I also agree on the highlight reels comment. I think that with the distance control, I can remember more than a few times even when tiger was on in his heyday where he'd hit a good tee shot and not knock it stiff; that's actually something I can recall from the rebroadcast earlier this month of the 99 us open at pinehurst, tiger's distance control with his short irons was his biggest issue back then. The difference to me is that the times when he didn't he'd get up and down, he'd get up and down for bridie on par 5's and on occasion make a long bomb on the green (which he actually did on thursday, on 5 I believe)

I hope he gets a win this weekend.

i hope he wins b/c i'm going to be there...and last time i was at congressional he won...

I'm sure Tiger will win. He's great when it's not a Major.

Lol !!

Back