Ohio Woman Crazy Driving Story

Driving is not a right. It's a privilege.

I know that's what I said but when you cut off a person's connection with the world and ability to care for themselves it makes you feel like a real SOB.

I agree with that! OG's mom used to ride to a neighboring town with her almost 90-year-old friend every Wednesday. We always worried about them but they had been friends forever and managed to survive every trip. Now that's old and that women really needs to be off the road. They definitely need to do testing at least every 5 years or so.

KB, I didnt mean to sound like I was picking on older people...if fact I said i think everybody should take the driving test every 3 years...lots of things can change in three years

I remember my friend's grandma used to drive when she was 93 and deaf. I didn't understand how it was possible to allow that. This is just crazy. I'd agree with taking a new driver's test every few years.

Having a drivers test every three years is not a bad idea, but living in northern WI, I would rather not. I'm convinced that there are only about ten people employed by the WI DMV to cover the entire northern half of the state. Being able to renew my license through the mail or online saves me a ton of time, frustration, and gas money.

I thought this stuff only happened in Florida!

Oh yeah, that's a crime thread, haha.

Sounds like that old Lady was drunk or on some type of strong medication. It's still a huge pain for the ones hurt and their families. I'm not against the test however I think it should be done by a physician to test for mental & or physical problems. The drivers vehicle centers are already too slow and aggravating! I would hope by 60 years of age most folks would know the rules of driving and know how to drive a car. Physically I can see how a good check up needs to implemented . Part of the test would require the old folks to be able to bench press 300 lbs like I do at the gym :0) Of course I am a young 61.5 year old whipped snapper. I seriously think a good physical should be Requirement with dangerous meds listed on the drivers license.

Typing away using Tapatalk!

thats up near Bullfrog, maybe she had been out partying with him and just got doen dropping him off at home since he couldnt hold the liquor....makes sense now lol

Crazy thing about Texas....my license came up for renewal this past year on my birthday...I get a postcard 2 months before that inviting me to "renew online" and get my new license for 6 years instead of 4....no vision test...no nothing...log on...clickity, clickity and 6 year renewal....how they hell do they know I didn't go blind in the last 4 years....or get alzheimers or something??????

It's crazy!! If you made everyone do it every 3 years they would get more money in fees from the license I would think.

wow that's Texas haha (love it) here I had to wait in line forever and take a quick eye exam it was funny cause college has realy screwed up my eyesight in the last 3 years with so much studying and reading so I was lucky I could use both eyes in the exam haha. '

I must say there are a few older folks here who shouldn't be driving. If you ask me, driving 30 under is just as dangerous as driving 30 over cause it causes some reckless drivers to pass crazily on the highway!

Wow i hope everyone who was involved is ok!

63 is not old... My guess would be age 72-75 to begin more strenuous testing to keep one's driving privileges. I 've seen a DMV employee go waaay out of their way to help an elderly person pass the vision test... At some point if the individual being tested cannot comprehend the test, they probably do not need to be driving the 94 LeSabre anymore...

We just had an 91 year old turn left in front of a husband & wife on a motorcycle on a wide open state route in the middle of the afternoon. Double fatality. Someone knew grandma shouldn't be driving anymore....

63 is not old... My guess would be age 72-75 to begin more strenuous testing to keep one's driving privileges. I 've seen a DMV employee go waaay out of their way to help an elderly person pass the vision test... At some point if the individual being tested cannot comprehend the test, they probably do not need to be driving the 94 LeSabre anymore...

We just had an 91 year old turn left in front of a husband & wife on a motorcycle on a wide open state route in the middle of the afternoon. Double fatality. Someone knew grandma shouldn't be driving anymore....

I think a complete physical with all the blood work, vision tests, hearing evaluation, and reflex tests should be part of the testing. Vision is very important and good hearing is essential too. Also a persons ability to react to sudden changes in road conditions, night driving, and having sufficient reflexes to respond to situations, that happen on the spot. Heck I went through my annual physical this morning and the doc put me through some serious tests. I did pass with flying colors except for an on going knee issue, which is up for another surgery down the road. I'm hoping to put the destined total knee replacement off until I'm 65, then medicare can help with the cost factor.

Not surprising. Ohio drivers are pretty horrible. Since Ive moved to Ohio a few months ago Ive had quite a few close calls with drivers who cant seem to stay in their lane, dont pay attention when they are pulling out into traffic and love to drive in someone's blind spot (if youre in the left lane, you should be going faster than people in the right lane, not matching their speed and sitting in their blind spot).

oh no....LOL at JB's post

funny-Ohio-astronauts-leaving-earth.jpg

Back