TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood Review Thread

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
After having some good successes with the M2 driver, I ordered a fairway wood to see if the performance I was experiencing was a fluke or part of the line. Here are the stats on my setup:

Head - 3HL (16.5* Loft)
Shaft - Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.0 (-.25" Length)

The 3 wood has always been my weakest club. My tendency is to overcook the shot and hit some nasty hooks. Therefore I tend to just ignore this part of my bag. I know a strong 3 wood in my bag would be an asset on long Par 5's and short Par 4's so I am eager to get something going.

I got my club in today and immediately went to the range. The head inspires visual confidence much like the driver. It is smaller in appearance then I expected and has a nice lowerish profile.

First, the sound is different then the driver. A much tinnier sound, not bad but it is much different acoustically then the driver.

It feels like a rocket launcher. The ball comes off hard and fast and flies high, even with the HZRDUS. It doesnt balloon but it flies nice and high.

I'll admit I loved it so far. My first few shots were fantastic. My swing is grooved right now so it's part of my success but I like what I am seeing so far.

I will get some pics and numbers this weekend, but so far this is a solid addition to the TM lineup and I am sure the forgiveness I am seeing isnt a fluke.

Is the Hzrdus the stock shaft?

Is the Hzrdus the stock shaft?

I wanted to get the Tensei CX Blue 70 to match my driver shaft but it's only available in X and since I was going 16.5* in loft I figured I would pair it with a lower launching, lower spinning option. That and it's fun to say HZRDUS.

I have the same club with HZRDUS, it's a great fw.

This combo is a serious ponder for me. I'll be following this closely. I need to find a way to hit this soon.

I really like my M1 5 wood, maybe a M2 3 wood would fit the right spot in my bag.

How does it set up to your eye Fup? I know some HL 3 woods like my Adams tend to look a bit closed at setup since they're sometimes designed to help higher cappers get the ball up quickly and straight (or not out to the right, at the very least).

Killer setup Fupresti! I went to get the exact same setup but ended up going with an M1 3HL HZRDUS.

I've swung this club in a store on a simulator and it felt like a rocket launcher. staggering really

How does it set up to your eye Fup? I know some HL 3 woods like my Adams tend to look a bit closed at setup since they're sometimes designed to help higher cappers get the ball up quickly and straight (or not out to the right, at the very least).

The one I had in hand at a course shop yesterday was pretty square to my eye.

Couple of pics for reference. First is a size comparison versus the 816 Alpha 16* head. Second is a phot showing it sits pretty neutral at address.

9bf1c4abfa5b00623bcc4feaa049fea3.jpg

43978fbe0f539a931866a89af0d1cd3e.jpg

How is the lie angle? Seems to be a bit flatter than my Callaway 3w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the lie angle? Seems to be a bit flatter than my Callaway 3w

Seems to be pretty close to my 816 Alpha.

I have a few rounds with the M2 5W and loving it off the deck and tee, incredibly easy to hit, consistent soft draw, high launch and perfect distance for the shots I need to play at home. I needed a club for 4 to 5 shots a round and this fits the bill.

I have a few rounds with the M2 5W and loving it off the deck and tee, incredibly easy to hit, consistent soft draw, high launch and perfect distance for the shots I need to play at home. I needed a club for 4 to 5 shots a round and this fits the bill.
Its a looker too imo. But I'm a fan of the crown contrast.

Set up really well when in held it in hand the other day, I've hit one a couple times, fun little head.

Its a looker too imo. But I'm a fan of the crown contrast.

Set up really well when in held it in hand the other day, I've hit one a couple times, fun little head.

I know, FW's are like putters in my mind, need to fit the eye and this one does.

I know, FW's are like putters in my mind, need to fit the eye and this one does.

Def agree, I think thats part of why I adore the 816 so much.

I hit the M2 FW today at a demo day.
Pretty impressive.
Tried the 3HL with the stock R shaft > too hard to control, very high launch.
Then tried the 3 (15 degree) / stock R and much better.
The stock stiff shaft felt the best by far.
It was near perfect but still a little too high.
They are going to have custom shafts for demos soon.
It would be nice to try some of these like the Rouge shafts that launch lower.
Overall they are very impressive.
I can see adding one in the future.

TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood Review Thread

I just ordered my M2 3 Wood. Finally found a suitable replacement for my ole Rocketballz and I'm sad it's finally leaving the bag.

Shaft will be the Kuro Kage 70g Stiff but will be hard stepped once to make it a stiff plus.

Can't wait for it to get here!

I'd be curious to compare an M2 3w to my AeroBurner TP 3w, since it's basically the replacement. I have compared an M1 3w to my AeroBurner, but I was consistent 5-7 yards total longer with my AeroBurner . I guess I'll chalk that up to the shaft, though.

I'd be curious to compare an M2 3w to my AeroBurner TP 3w, since it's basically the replacement. I have compared an M1 3w to my AeroBurner, but I was consistent 5-7 yards total longer with my AeroBurner . I guess I'll chalk that up to the shaft, though.

Yeah we had demo day this past Saturday which is why I ordered the M2. I got a chuckle out of the first swing with the stock shaft when the rep goes...yeah, that shaft isn't going to work for you. It was super cool with them having flight scope out there and fitting people left and right. TaylorMade was the only rep out there with flightscope which helped them sell a lot of stuff Saturday.

What stock shaft did you go with?

Yeah we had demo day this past Saturday which is why I ordered the M2. I got a chuckle out of the first swing with the stock shaft when the rep goes...yeah, that shaft isn't going to work for you. It was super cool with them having flight scope out there and fitting people left and right. TaylorMade was the only rep out there with flightscope which helped them sell a lot of stuff Saturday.

The stock shaft in the M2 is junk. I purchased one and loved the club head and the looks and it was a rocket launcher but the shaft was way to weak and in consistent so I went back to my 915 Fd. The M2 is a little longer though.

What stock shaft did you go with?

Kuro Kage 70g cut down a half inch to 42.75 from 43.25 and hard stepped once so it'll play at a stiff plus flex

Back