Golfing alone and playing two balls... good form or bad form?

JoeyMac

Reaction score
Handicap
When I'm back in the states, I often try to cut out of work early once or twice a week or so to hit 9 holes or so. It's usually alone, in a cart and I'm just golfing to get away and practice. Usually, unless it's super crowded or backed up at the course, I'll tee up two balls and play them as separate scores on my card. Golfing alone in a cart, even with 2 balls, is pretty quick - so groups rarely ever come up behind me unless I'm stuck behind other slow groups as well (in which case I only play one ball). An alternative I've done once or twice is basically do a solo scramble... play two balls and advance using the best ball.

Is this poor etiquette or bad form or against some unwritten rule? Does this make me an a-hole?
I'm just curious about what others think about this practice.

I used to do this pretty frequently, and see no problem with it. There have been some who have said it is steeling golf since you only payed to play once, and I get their point, however I have asked at multiple local courses and no one has ever had a problem with it.

I rarely do it anymore, since I usually walk when playing alone. I really don't have any interest in walking all over the course when I scatter my tee shots.

I used to do this all the time, before the course started to fill up. Any more it is just to crowded. In the past I would be the only one out there. That is on course practice. I don't think anyone should care as long as you are not holding anyone up.

I do this often when I play alone, but only at my home course, I usually mention it at the desk when I am checking in and they have never said anything about not playing 2 balls.

I do that sometimes too as long as the course isn't crowded. Good way to get 18 in quickly.

Does repeatedly hitting into the woods and dropping another count as playing two balls?

If you're worried about whether it's frowned upon at the course you're playing, just ask at the pro shop. Make sure you explain it right so they'll know you'll use proper etiquette and not slow things up for others.

I've played two balls many times, especially when working on a certain part of my game or testing new balls. I don't think I've ever actually finished a round that way though. It seems to mess up my concentration so I normally end up paying for and playing two rounds. At least for the second round all I have to pay for is the cart fee.

I dont see a problem with it as long as your arent holding anyone up

I agree with most people here. As long as you're not holding anyone up there shouldn't be a problem. Most people seem to play the first ball better knowing the have another shot in their hand. Haney did this with one of his projects

Did this yesterday. I was aired with. Awesome and they pulled the plug after nine holes because it was so slow. I was then stuck behind three foursomes and in front of another. I played two balls without any issue.

TapAhoy!

Not a problem at all, dude--as long as you aren't holding anyone up or slowing up play. I think it's a great way to play and practice.

I do this when I am playing alone as well, with all restrictions, not to crowded and not holding anybody up. I have asked the course that I play at if it is ok and they told me its not a problem so got all my bases covered.

I do it all the time as I play 9 hole or rounds alone before work. If I see a group behind me that could be waiting I play one ball until the gap is bigger. I see nothing wrong with it as long as no one is held up

I do this every once in a while. I've never done a scramble type off the tee. I usually keep track of both balls score. Plus to not get confused I use a ball with 1 and one with 2. And tee them off in order.

No problem with it. In the Pro shop, we've often recommended it to people if it's a little slow in fornt of them.

I don't often tee 2 balls up but I will take a few shots from the fairway. I tend to lose balls off the tee lol

I do this often when the course isn't crowed. It lets me work on various shot on the course.

When the course is backed up and I'm sandwiched between foursomes I will do this. I usually use two different color balls and keep two separate scores on the card.

Agree with all of those before me who have suggested it's no problem as long as your not holding up people behind you.

The only problem if it's crowded is, even if you have nowhere to go because people are stacked up in front of you, the people behind you may get mad when they see you playing two balls. It's like people honking in a traffic jam.

I think you can play 3 balls. I know i wouldnt care one bit. Its not about holding up those behind you, its about keeping up with whomever is in front of you since thats only as fast as you can go anyway. I'll disagree with anyone saying not to do it when crowded because if you happen to be alone your gonna be up buts in front of you anyway so may as well play them.

The problem is the ignorance and assumption of those behind hind you possibly not realiziing the reason they are waiting is not because you may be hitting two balls but is really because you and them will be waiting anyway behind those in front of you. They may not like seeing you play two because its slow that day. But if your just going to end up waiting at the next tee anyway it shouldnt matter at all because they are going to have to wait too. Of course most will probably be stupid enough to be jerks about it anyway.

I'll do this occasionally if I play alone and the course is empty. Even though I walk I'll play 2 balls on a couple holes (not every, can't keep chasing all my erratic tee shots). As long as you aren't holding anyone up I don't see a problem with it.

I think you can play 3 balls. I know i wouldnt care one bit. Its not about holding up those behind you, its about keeping up with whomever is in front of you since thats only as fast as you can go anyway. I'll disagree with anyone saying not to do it when crowded because if you happen to be alone your gonna be up buts in front of you anyway so may as well play them.

The problem is the ignorance and assumption of those behind hind you possibly not realiziing the reason they are waiting is not because you may be hitting two balls but is really because you and them will be waiting anyway behind those in front of you. They may not like seeing you play two because its slow that day. But if your just going to end up waiting at the next tee anyway it shouldnt matter at all because they are going to have to wait too. Of course most will probably be stupid enough to be jerks about it anyway.

I wasn't saying not to do it, just to be aware that others might not understand. We've all seen the stories about or encountered first hand the inpatient people that can't get it through their head that there's nowhere to go. I was just giving a heads up about that.

I did this yesterday to get some different type of practice in and to avoid catching a twosome in front of me. When asked at the Pro shop they had no issues as long as I wasn't holding anyone up behind me. I don't do this when there are people within a full hole behind me.

Do it a lot.
And lets face it many people, if there is no pressure from pace of play, will drop a few balls during the round to hit practice shots.
I quite often get out during the week and have 2 9 hole courses nearby. I always play two balls, the lower number ball is first 9, higher number second nine.

Last couple of rounds i have been only person on the course so have actually taken a few holes where I have hit more than 2 balls. On one hole I dropped half a dozen balls 40 yards from the pin (where I had just hit a poor approach from) and practiced my shot. Have also dropped balls 230-250 yards from green and hit 3w/3h to check yardages.

Have also spent time on or around the green practicing.

When playing solo on 18 hole courses I only hit one ball, but again if there is no pace of play issue I will practice some different shots with other balls.

I do it often. It is probably against the rules but if you are staying ahead of the group in front of you it usually won't be an issue.

Back