2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you feel about the barbell row. useful or not.

How do you feel about the barbell row. useful or not.
Meh. I mix them in, but what are you trying to work with them? For lats, chins and deads (don't laugh) will give you the most strength.

Meh. I mix them in, but what are you trying to work with them? For lats, chins and deads (don't laugh) will give you the most strength.

I use them for working on lats and traps, mind you I just do them once in a while just to switch things up.

A sweet shoulder and arm workout I found recently is growing your hair out for 2 months, and then hand drying it with a towel for 3 minutes straight :alien:

Just starting to workout again after my accident. Thinking of doing pyramid sets 3 times a week. Low-mid weight to start, then moving heavier and heavier as I adapt to being under major stress again. Chest/shoulders, arms/core/cardio, legs/back. Any suggestions? Blu looking at you bro, I see you lifting on my Instagram more than I lift myself and I'm only 20 haha.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

A sweet shoulder and arm workout I found recently is growing your hair out for 2 months, and then hand drying it with a towel for 3 minutes straight :alien:

Just starting to workout again after my accident. Thinking of doing pyramid sets 3 times a week. Low-mid weight to start, then moving heavier and heavier as I adapt to being under major stress again. Chest/shoulders, arms/core/cardio, legs/back. Any suggestions? Blu looking at you bro, I see you lifting on my Instagram more than I lift myself and I'm only 20 haha.

Height/weight/training history

I use them for working on lats and traps, mind you I just do them once in a while just to switch things up.

Because they are a submaximal pull and for them to really work the lats and traps in any real fashion the legs become heavily involved. Bent over rows are hard on the low back. I just like chin ups and deadlifts for building back and traps.

What about lat pulldown?

What about lat pulldown?

It is very rare to find a person that can perform a lat pulldown with as much weight as they would perform doing a chin/pull up. You can do more volume with a lat pulldown. They are also easier on the hands, especially after deadlifting. But for strength purposes, the pure poundage of a chin/pull up makes lat pulldowns a less attractive option.

worn out

worn out

PR on bench and DL this week. Gotta get there tonight and do something to get rid of my soreness. Just did maintenance bench last night topping out at 275x3. Always amazes me how good I feel after a big session of Deadlift or squats. Probably squat tonight.

Height/weight/training history

Because they are a submaximal pull and for them to really work the lats and traps in any real fashion the legs become heavily involved. Bent over rows are hard on the low back. I just like chin ups and deadlifts for building back and traps.
6'0/225

Bench: 2 plates and a 10
Shoulder press: 1 plate
Squat: 2 plates and a 25
Dead: 3 plates

Edit: the gym I workout at has 45lb plates that range anywhere from 41.5 to 48lbs so I just put "plate" instead of the approx weight. I would go somewhere else, but I go for free here.

Did a lot of rowing and flexibility excersizes too. I never really went for a max lift as I was always on a schedule/plan for my volleyball team, but those weights are the most I did. I have maybe half the amount of strength now. It leaves you so fast. I tried doing a quick chest and shoulder work out the other day and could barely bench 5 sets of 10 of 135. It's really frustrating and it'll be a long road but it's gotta happen.

6'0/225

Bench: 2 plates and a 10
Shoulder press: 1 plate
Squat: 2 plates and a 25
Dead: 3 plates

Did a lot of rowing and flexibility excersizes too. I never really went for a max lift as I was always on a schedule/plan for my volleyball team, but those weights are the most I did. I have maybe half the amount of strength now. It leaves you so fast. I tried doing a quick chest and shoulder work out the other day and could barely bench 5 sets of 10 of 135. It's really frustrating and it'll be a long road but it's gotta happen.

At your level, 1 rep maxes are dumb. I wouldn't worry about them.

At your level, 1 rep maxes are dumb. I wouldn't worry about them.
I'm not worried about max lifts at all, just want to get my strength back and figure out some sort of decent plan that doesn't wreck me and lets me swing the next day because as I get more serious about golf it is taking a higher priority.

I'm not worried about max lifts at all, just want to get my strength back and figure out some sort of decent plan that doesn't wreck me and lets me swing the next day because as I get more serious about golf it is taking a higher priority.

I think a standard linear progression will serve you well. Everybody stop me if you've heard this before. Starting Strength is the best program out there for novice strength training. You probably will not be on it long, but to build your strength base it's the way too go.

4 x 5 Deadlifts, Pullups, DB Press, and heavy 2 handed kettlebell swings. Going up every week on the deads (5 lbs) on pullups. I hadn't been seeing improvements in a while. It's good to be back on a program.

Now, time to eat and watch star wars.

I guess I am finally eating enough. Put on 2 pounds from where I was Tuesday night.

Squats bench and deadlifts tonight. Squats were better than last time and I deadlifted over my body weight so the app tells me to do power cleans one session a week. Should be interesting as I haven't done cleans since high school and probably didn't learn to do them properly. Have to start somewhere.

I guess I am finally eating enough. Put on 2 pounds from where I was Tuesday night.

Squats bench and deadlifts tonight. Squats were better than last time and I deadlifted over my body weight so the app tells me to do power cleans one session a week. Should be interesting as I haven't done cleans since high school and probably didn't learn to do them properly. Have to start somewhere.

Got in 50 minutes of cardio tonight, splitting between a couple of different machines. Had to really turn up the resistance on both machines to get my heart rate up. I have to admit that part really made me happy as it is a good indication of how far I have come over the last 6-7 weeks.

Just got done training. Made up my squats from Tuesday and deadlifted. Hook grip hurts but the bar came off the ground.

Boom. Squats.

Three sets, doubles across at 365 (95% of my 1rm). Ignore the second rep of the first set. It's garbage.

Last edited:
Hard day at the gym tonight. but I'm eating 3 pork chops and a huge handful of green beans and carrots.

Still hungry. Nuts and peperoni time.

Took 2 weeks off lifting due to soreness, mainly elbow tendinitis...and it didn't really go away. So I said hellwidit and started back, though I did do cardio and calisthewhatchamacallits during the off time. And, 2nd day back, I did something I never do any more - CURLS. And my elbow burned. But strangely, 2 days later my elbow was much better and 3rd day today pain is 99% gone. So, I'll be adding some curls now and then....brah. It's sorta what blu via Rippetoe recommended a couple months back, but sounded to me like bro science. Further reading says that it does help elbow tendinitis to strengthen the surrounding area, so curls and or chins probably do fit the bill after all, just maybe not the 'irritate it until your body is forced to heal it' thing.

You young whippersnappers talking about hard gainz takes me back. I'm 52 now and overbulked in the last 6-7 months, from 170ish to 200 where I should be maybe 185. But, at 6' tall, at:
15 I weighed 118
18 grad high school, 125ish
25 = 137
At 29 I made a bet with my buddy, he wanted to lose weight and I wanted to gain. He had to drop like 25 lbs, I had to gain 10. I lifted some, but didn't know much about how to do it properly so it was mostly bench and curl. but I did do 5-6 solid meals a day for several months. I think I gained like 5 lbs and ended at 152. Buddy won the bet going away.
My metabolism slowwwllly changed a bit in my 30's, and by 40 I had to pay a little bit more attention. Around 45 on a quit smoking attempt, I did no exercise but got to 199 on the scale - I was the skinny guy with the big gut. It was nasty but I just ate less for 3-4 months and dropped 25 lbs, though I did start smoking again.

So, likely but not guaranteed, your time will come when you can put on weight much more easily and it may be good or could go bad lol, I've had both.

Still off the smokes (Mar4) today marks 290 days. Haven't been seriously tempted even once.

Congratulations regarding the nicotine habit. Kicking it is a tough task.

For your elbow tendinitis, try doing forearm exercises. Weighted wrist hinges and bent elbow wrist rotation were things I did to help my tennis elbow.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/8417459_f520.jpg
Took 2 weeks off lifting due to soreness, mainly elbow tendinitis...and it didn't really go away. So I said hellwidit and started back, though I did do cardio and calisthewhatchamacallits during the off time. And, 2nd day back, I did something I never do any more - CURLS. And my elbow burned. But strangely, 2 days later my elbow was much better and 3rd day today pain is 99% gone. So, I'll be adding some curls now and then....brah. It's sorta what blu via Rippetoe recommended a couple months back, but sounded to me like bro science. Further reading says that it does help elbow tendinitis to strengthen the surrounding area, so curls and or chins probably do fit the bill after all, just maybe not the 'irritate it until your body is forced to heal it' thing.

You young whippersnappers talking about hard gainz takes me back. I'm 52 now and overbulked in the last 6-7 months, from 170ish to 200 where I should be maybe 185. But, at 6' tall, at:
15 I weighed 118
18 grad high school, 125ish
25 = 137
At 29 I made a bet with my buddy, he wanted to lose weight and I wanted to gain. He had to drop like 25 lbs, I had to gain 10. I lifted some, but didn't know much about how to do it properly so it was mostly bench and curl. but I did do 5-6 solid meals a day for several months. I think I gained like 5 lbs and ended at 152. Buddy won the bet going away.
My metabolism slowwwllly changed a bit in my 30's, and by 40 I had to pay a little bit more attention. Around 45 on a quit smoking attempt, I did no exercise but got to 199 on the scale - I was the skinny guy with the big gut. It was nasty but I just ate less for 3-4 months and dropped 25 lbs, though I did start smoking again.

So, likely but not guaranteed, your time will come when you can put on weight much more easily and it may be good or could go bad lol, I've had both.

Still off the smokes (Mar4) today marks 290 days. Haven't been seriously tempted even once.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Started using the bowflex and treadmill again this week. Feeling great and down about 4 lbs. (eating clean too)

And, 2nd day back, I did something I never do any more - CURLS. And my elbow burned. But strangely, 2 days later my elbow was much better and 3rd day today pain is 99% gone. So, I'll be adding some curls now and then....brah. It's sorta what blu via Rippetoe recommended a couple months back, but sounded to me like bro science. Further reading says that it does help elbow tendinitis to strengthen the surrounding area, so curls and or chins probably do fit the bill after all, just maybe not the 'irritate it until your body is forced to heal it' thing.

I'm happy it's going away. Best part, you now know how to fix it, and similar injuries, if it pops back up.

Chalk another one up to BG being right in this thread. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back