Equipment - Are You An Overthinker or Underthinker?

Used to be a big underthinker, but now I'm bordering on overthinker. I'm trying to pull back and trust the equipment I have and work on my swing.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Overthinker for sure, since I don't have a golf store close to me that I can actually try clubs. I have to rely on research which thanks to THP doesn't take near as long or is as painfull. Gotta say thanks to THP and all the great knowledge that the members share here.

As much as I overthink my gear. I way overthink my swing.

I've been converted into an overthinker, but I'm still stuck with an underthinker's bag.

Tell me about it, can't afford squat right now. All of my newer clubs were bought heavily discounted, and my irons are clones. I really overthink my bag, but can't afford anything

Underthinker for sure. Once I'm comfortable with a club it takes a long time to replace that club. I will try new stuff, but I always just go back to my old stuff without really giving the new stuff a shot. I've lost too much money buying new stuff just to resell it for a fraction of the price I paid a month or two earlier.

This year I'm doing something completely out of the norm though, so we'll see how it goes.

I probably overthink my equipment. Especially since joining THP.

I agree with this 100%
THP with all the information has me thinking about equipment all
the time.

I'm an over thinker in ever aspect of life so naturally I'm am over thinker with my golf gear.

I will be honest, when it came to equipment before I joined THP I was definitely on under thinker. Now after reading about many different aspect of the equipment that is out there I am definitely an over thinker now. I analyze and test every purchase I make now.

I'm wondering if the majority of the folks here are over thinkers, some of it of course is because we're hungry for more equipment knowledge, and some is because we use the equipment fascination to fuel a passion for golf. Just a thought

Over-thinker.

That's just my nature though I scrutinize everything, research it a bunch and am never satisfied.

At the same time I'm an under thinker to, like, even though I've been researching. Every newer gi iron in my mind if I don't get the x-hots I'm always going to wonder about them.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I was an underthinker, became a serious overthinker for the past three years or so and Now I think I am in the middle. While in my overthinking stage I analazied and citizized every little detail and finally havve what is in my bag today. So now I still like to think about equipment and keep up with what is out there but, while I am happy with whats in my bag I don't obcess with it. Now once that changes again and I decide to but something new in my bag I will be an overthinker for that club choice again. I just dont see my bag changing a bunch for a little while.

I over think way to much but it actually works for my benefit. By the time I finally decide to buy whatever club I have been thinking about its no longer the newest hottest thing out there and I end up getting the great closeout pricing. I love the product cycle of golf equipment.

I travel in cycles. I used to be an underthinker and was convinced that all golf clubs were pretty much the same. Then I joined THP and my eyes were opened and now I am definitely an overthinker.
Clubs that I hit well and should be happy with I am still always reading and looking for what could be an improvement.
Clubs that I can't hit worth a crap get blamed for it and I look for the answer elsewhere. I know my swing is the issue, but blaming clubs is easy and fun.

I was and am an overthinker. THP has helped me organize my thoughts, but opened my mind to more possibilities!!

When i first started buying my own equipment, I was an under thinker... If I liked the look and the price was right, I'd buy. Now I'm an over thinker... I research and analyze everything before I buy now.

I'm a very detail oriented and specific person. So I probably over think a bit

I think most of us here fall into the "overthinker" category....thats one of the reasons we ended up here...most of us got here looking for equipment reviews, trying to find that club that will fix all of our problems.

I just go and try out something until the numbers look good, so I probably over think it

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Over thinker, for sure. I just always feel like I may be missing something and just feel like I need to tinker a little bit. Coincidentally, I played much better 8 or so years ago, when I just bought stuff and played it (even at the time, playing a Walmart driver).

I'm an overthinker.

I always try to tweak and find the greener grass relentlessly. I'm much better about it than I was, but its still there. I really need to just get to whats comfortable and what works and roll with it. I think doing so would bring benefits to my game. I really do.

+1 to this. I've done way too much "seeking greener pastures" over the past 18 months. Ironically, I've not done an actual custom fitting, so it has been more of a shotgun approach. I have stumbled my way through trial and error and time on simulators into a set that works pretty well.

I also used to give up on a club too quickly and sell it. I'm not advocating keeping a lot of inventory, but if one has something unique that works well, I'm becoming more of a fan of keeping it around in case it needs to be rotated back into the bag. Things tend to run in hot or cold spells, particularly at my handicap. I've had to repurchase clubs that I've sold too quickly which has been a real pain.

This year, I want to learn from my mistakes. I'm going to lock my bag in and really not make any changes. The good news is that I'm pretty close. I need a couple of minor tweaks (driver shaft and possibly in wedges), and then I'll have the clubs that I will play for the season. I will rotate some things in and out, but overall I won't be getting any new ones (which probably means less time at THP). I suspect my scoring will come down though.

One thing that cannot be underestimated is confidence over the ball. I'm not saying that if you are confident, you're going to hit everything great. Only the pros can do that. I do think if you believe you're going to flub it, you will virtually every time.

Before THP did not think at all. After THP there is smoke rolling out of my ears

Before joining THP, I was content to play with whatever I thought was good. Getting fitted never crossed my mind. As a result my swing and my game suffered as a result of playing clubs that where not fitted for me. Since joining THP, I have been through 2 fittings already and have noticed a difference in performance. I only have my driver at the moment and even though I am still struggling a bit with it, I am hitting the ball longer and straighter whenever I do hit the ball right. I am currently taking lessons and I am working on correcting my flaws that were created with my old driver. I am waiting for my irons to get here from Ping. I should get them Thursday or Friday. I also noticed the difference with the fitted 6 iron. I am also thinking about gaps in my clubs a lot more and trying to get clubs that fit my game better. So I would consider myself in the transition phase from an underthinker to an overthinker. Thanks to THP and its wonderful members! I am on my way to become a better player because of you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Overthinker for sure. I think it is because of the long winter. I have way too much time to ponder my set-up and make changes. Once the season starts I try not to mess around to much but there is always something I think I can improve. I know I need to spend more time on my swing and less time messing with my gear.

I definitely overthink. I keep saying, that my bag is done. I am happy with what I have. And then keep buying new stuff.

I would say I am an overthinker as well, Howzat made a great point about the long winter, you read and read, go to golf stores all while your swing is in hibernation. Then when it comes time to buy I look and look trying to find what is right for me and usually second guess what I am thinking, even if I know it is right for me. The grass is always greener, I don't shuffle through gear too quickly so when I do buy something I want to make sure it is perfect.

Back