Equipment - Are You An Overthinker or Underthinker?

I've always been an overthinker with golf equipment, hell if not for that I never would have found THP. Yet THP greatly enhanced my passion for all things golf!

I think we all know where I fit

My "want" of something usually over rides the need and my budget dictates the final call.

I am another that falls into an over thinker. There is so much information out there (especially on THP) on every aspect of the equipment than it's easy to over analyze everything equipment. Simple fact is it's much easier to analyze data about equipment than analyzing my swing.

I'm a bit of an overthinker. I'm pretty happy for the most part with my bag, but I do think about trying other things. I try not to think too much about it, and just work on my swing, but sometimes some piece of equipment intrigues me and throws a wrench in the be sensible plan.

I have to admit that I've over thought. I've made way too many equipment changes. The money would have been better spent on lessons.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Definitely an "overthinker". I seem to constantly think "is this best" or "could I hit a little further with that one", etc.

I over think way to much but it actually works for my benefit. By the time I finally decide to buy whatever club I have been thinking about its no longer the newest hottest thing out there and I end up getting the great closeout pricing. I love the product cycle of golf equipment.

No doubt! If you can wait 6-9 months, you can have the hottest thing out right now for a substantial discount.

I am an over thinker in everything, but don't seem to be that way with my bag. I have a fitting coming up cause i am still unsure of what I am looking for.

most def. an overthinker..........and a club ho !!! Sites like this make it that much harder for me to stay put with my equipment, lol.

doc

My job title includes the word "analyst" for a reason. Over.

I actually think I might be an underthinker. For most of my golfing life, I have been a stock setup golfer. Off the rack and in the bag. If it doesnt work, I try something new.
This is me right here. The R&D departments of these golf equipment OEMs are smarter than I am, they put the stuff together with the shafts they feel match up best, sounds good, I'm game let's go play.

I'm an over thinker in certain parts. I way over think shafts and wedges, but the rest I don't feel I over think a lot. Although I'm starting to over think irons.

I think I was an overthinker for quite some time. I constantly thought I could buy a new club that would solve my slice, or fix fat shots. I think I'm closer to an under thinker than overthinker now, but I think I found a happy medium.

Hi I am Colby and I am an over thinker

Mentioned this in a thread a couple of weeks ago. Recently someone was discussing the golf equipment mentality of most golfers and said that "most amateur golfers either greatly overthink or greatly underthink their equipment".

Assuming (and it is a generalization) that you must fit into one of these categories, which one do you fit into and why?

I think I'm an under-thinker, turned over-thinker, turning back to under-thinker. 2012 was the 1st year I was fitted FOR ANYTHING!! I always picked up a club jiggled it a couple of times hit 2 or 3 shots and said "yeah, I can live with that" or "no, that won't cut it". More often than not, I was right.

Now, I've become more technical about things. Optimizing this and optimizing that. I partly respect the benefits of technology and partly respect my own judgement about what suits me best. Just because something is technically right for me doesn't mean that it will be. I have an X-wife to prove that!

So, I take all this technology with a heaping scoop of experience and some plain 'ole common sense. Yes, I can optimize my launch angle and spin. As a matter of fact, I'm doing that right now trying to decide between two drivers and two lofts and two shafts. Once I get it, I'll stick with it till I get bucked. In the end, it's up to me to decide which fits me best. So, having all this technical data is great and all but till you feel it, hear it, and see it, you're NOT gonna trust it. And when you've gotta make a shot, you know what your GO-TO is.

Great topic btw...

Sort of in the middle. I like to tinker but I also understand that unless my swing gets better I won't be very good no matter what clubs I have.

I think I'm an under-thinker, turned over-thinker, turning back to under-thinker. 2012 was the 1st year I was fitted FOR ANYTHING!! I always picked up a club jiggled it a couple of times hit 2 or 3 shots and said "yeah, I can live with that" or "no, that won't cut it". More often than not, I was right.

Now, I've become more technical about things. Optimizing this and optimizing that. I partly respect the benefits of technology and partly respect my own judgement about what suits me best. Just because something is technically right for me doesn't mean that it will be. I have an X-wife to prove that!

So, I take all this technology with a heaping scoop of experience and some plain 'ole common sense. Yes, I can optimize my launch angle and spin. As a matter of fact, I'm doing that right now trying to decide between two drivers and two lofts and two shafts. Once I get it, I'll stick with it till I get bucked. In the end, it's up to me to decide which fits me best. So, having all this technical data is great and all but till you feel it, hear it, and see it, you're NOT gonna trust it. And when you've gotta make a shot, you know what your GO-TO is.

Great topic btw...
Ha! TOTALLY an over-thinker! "Rotate Ping 23* and Mizuno 4 depending on course/conditions". :).

Over-thinker. I over-think EVERYTHING right now with golf and my increase of 6 strokes to handicap is proof... So, now, my love for equipment and the "new" makes it worse every year because I CAN BUY BACK MY GAME! Hahahaha! Right....

Over thinker for sure! Would have never become a THP member if I weren't.

Ha! TOTALLY an over-thinker! "Rotate Ping 23* and Mizuno 4 depending on course/conditions". :).

I should've hid my signature... ;-)

I'm most likely an underthinker. I typically go with stock offerings and try to adjust to get the best out of them. I'm trying to apply more science as I look at MC offerings.

I'm an under thinker. I grab it hit it in the sim if it feels good I'm good to go. In fact I bought my hybrids without even trying them.

Back