Equipment - Are You An Overthinker or Underthinker?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Mentioned this in a thread a couple of weeks ago. Recently someone was discussing the golf equipment mentality of most golfers and said that "most amateur golfers either greatly overthink or greatly underthink their equipment".

Assuming (and it is a generalization) that you must fit into one of these categories, which one do you fit into and why?

I'd call myself an over thinker greatly because of THP. I know I'm not very good and its way more me than the club, but I love equipment so much I keep going back to the club.

I probably overthink my equipment. Especially since joining THP.

I'm an overthinker. I put a lot of emphasis on my clubs even though I'm in the low-mid teens. I blame this on THP (the overthinking, not the bad game) I really want to make sure that my equipment isn't to blame. Which is why I'm gonna start getting custom-fit.

Overthink. But not because I'm looking for the "magic club". But just because the grass always seems greener.

I'm an overthinker.

I always try to tweak and find the greener grass relentlessly. I'm much better about it than I was, but its still there. I really need to just get to whats comfortable and what works and roll with it. I think doing so would bring benefits to my game. I really do.

It's funny, I think I used to be an underthinker and now I'm more of an overthinker. However not as bad as I was 2 years ago or so. By underthinker I used to just grab what I wanted, driver, woods, irons, wedges whatever it was I'd take it and play. I wasn't worried about if they were right for me or if they would hurt me more than help me. A few years ago I really started looking at the equipment I was playing and focused on stuff that would help me out. The Razr X irons were an eye opener to me. I was hitting the ball longer, straighter and more consistently. I think having those in the bag for a while gave me confidence in my iron game. I'm pretty aware now of wedge gaps and set ups. I've had wedges that I loved in the bag and saw what the proper setup can do for me, and I've had some in the bag that just didn't work for me and I struggled. Becoming more aware of shafts and shaft technology has me more conscious of setups and that leads to some overthinking by me.

I'm a way over thinker. Primarily because of the money behind buying different equipment. Secondly when I buy clubs I tend to play with them for many years. Finally I tend to over think new equipment because I drag myself down the path of..."Are these new club(s) going to allow me to grow with them, and are they truly best for my capabilities". Meaning is my ego writing checks my game can't cash mostly. Then it takes for ever for me to pull the trigger once I've settled on something new

Currently I am an over thinker the more I get to understand clubs and the effects even the smallest thing can have to the feel of a club the worse it is getting. The reason for this is to have a clear mind about my clubs and not wonder after every bad round if some other spec would have been better. Once all my question are answered and a decision is made I own the club.

Previously I was an under thinker. My thought was give me an x-stiff shaft make it +1" and bend it 2* up and anything would work. I thought a shaft was a shaft.

I think I probably used to be an underthinker, figuring that any irons and woods newer than my 12-year-old stuff would be easier to hit. I bought a few things without putting much testing in, but I'm moving the other direction now, mostly because I'm not in a position to waste money. If I'm gonna spend $400, i want it to be well spent!

I think that I am an over-thinker of my equipment....wasn't this way until I joined this site, but I always find myself wondering things like, Is my launch angle right? Is this the right shaft for me? Am I getting too much spin off of my driver? Are my irons too upright? And so on.

I'm not saying that this is a bad thing at all (in fact I think it is always a good thing to know your equipment well) but I have thought to myself, Would I be happy if I didn't buy or ponder another club?

A year ago an under thinker and paying for it so now an over thinker.

Honestly? Both at some point, for a long time I definitely was an under thinker and lately I have been an over thinking things. I just want to get my bag sorted out and not have to worry about it anymore.

I think as more and more golfers become aware of what technology is out there they lean more towards being an overthinker.

I've been converted into an overthinker, but I'm still stuck with an underthinker's bag.

Underthinker with irons and overthinker with my putter and driver. I just want a blade iron and I am happy however with drivers and putters there is never good enough.

I would have to say that I "was" an overthinker in the past.
When it came to deciding on equipment I would read every review I could find on every club made.
Then I would go to the sporting goods store to hold the clubs in my hand and maybe even get to hit some of them if they had a cage. (no monitors in town of course)
After that, I would surf the web for more info on prices and opinons. (that's how I found this terrific place!)
Then I would ponder and ponder for quite awhile before finally making a decision on what to buy.

Now? I'm an underthinker. Since joining THP I have learned the importance of club fitting.
When I am thinking of new equipment, I come on here and read some reviews.....go to a place we now have in town and hit lots of clubs with a monitor to find the right ones....get them fit for me and voila !

I was an big time underthinker. I hit most all the clubs out there, but they were stock. I bought what felt good to hit. I didn't realize that there were numerous shaft options, lie angles, grips, etc. After finding this site and reading what others do and think, I have spent more time and money on getting equipment that better fits me.

Mentioned this in a thread a couple of weeks ago. Recently someone was discussing the golf equipment mentality of most golfers and said that "most amateur golfers either greatly overthink or greatly underthink their equipment".

Assuming (and it is a generalization) that you must fit into one of these categories, which one do you fit into and why?

I underthink. I go with what is the easiest to hit successfully. I've found those clubs so now I've stop thinking.....LOL. I've been playing a long time and I found out thirty years ago that you can't buy a better game no matter what the OEM's and they're marketing machines tell us. Find a fitter you trust and let him/her do the thinking.

Definite over thinker. Always hopeful that the "magic" club will come along and make everything better.

As of now, that is the Cleveland 588 Altitude iron. :)

I'm working on getting away from under thinking. I love being very technical with my equipment.

If you consider waking up at 04:00 a.m. in the morning and wondering if a Fedex or UPS truck is on the way means over thinking, then sign me up. I know when I'm in a store and have three different drivers pounding balls until my arms fall off, it means I'm over thinking. Which one is actually better, longer, straighter, yadadadoo. After a while you just sit there looking like that deer in the headlight zone. Better yet, go to a THP outing and whack every club known to man for about four hours and watch your head spin like a top. Over thinking is a acquired skill if you're a blue blood THP homer :D

I was an under thinker for a long time, coming here had peaked my interest in a lot of things golf and I've now settled somewhere in the middle after a small bout of over thinking. I know to measure everything I hit now rather than go just off of feel and sound of it.

Definitely an overthinker because of how much I read about new equipment. I almost wish that I could go to a fitter at some point and they could just hand me clubs with no markings whatsoever on them and have me get fit that way, because I have preconceived notions about a lot of the stuff that I hit when I'm testing stuff out.

I actually think I might be an underthinker. For most of my golfing life, I have been a stock setup golfer. Off the rack and in the bag. If it doesnt work, I try something new.

Back