What new tip have you learned lately that has helped your game?

I agree. Crossfields chipping video was a game changer for me. I think it suits the Scor wedges really well, which I wasn't even thinking about at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUFYgbsxU0Y

That was a good tip from Pat. I like the easy ones for putting.

Hokie, if you have a link, I'd love to watch it. I've always tried to chip with dead hands, but am always willing to try something new if it helps with contact.

Unfortunately I can't get on youtube at work, I hope Perkins posted the one I was thinking of, I will check later when I get home. I was a victim of the "dead hands" too, and this is really helping my contact and distance control.

Unfortunately I can't get on youtube at work, I hope Perkins posted the one I was thinking of, I will check later when I get home. I was a victim of the "dead hands" too, and this is really helping my contact and distance control.

Don't know if that's the one, but I've now found his youtube channel, so thanks to both of you!

I received a tip that I was breaking down the right arm on the takeaway. I worked on keeping my arms straighter and more connected on the backswing and found some extra power. It was fun to hit an iron on one of our par 3s where I usually hit a hybrid and have it go 8' above the hole instead of short. I was seeing about 10 yards more with the driver too.

that I have to contact the ball with my club

I was just show a shoulder blade move that is allowing my club into the same takeaway spot everytime. Making a world of difference.

One thing that my teacher always makes me do is work on getting all tension out of my swing. He makes me judge the tension on a scale of 1-10 and try to keep it below 5. I hit some amazing shots when we're working on that. Lately, I've been trying to go through the same thing during my rounds with each shot. I've been hitting much better as a result of it.

One thing that my teacher always makes me do is work on getting all tension out of my swing. He makes me judge the tension on a scale of 1-10 and try to keep it below 5. I hit some amazing shots when we're working on that. Lately, I've been trying to go through the same thing during my rounds with each shot. I've been hitting much better as a result of it.

Shawn Clement has an acronym he uses, which is quite helpful to me. After every shot, evaluate your swing according to RIBS (or RBIS if you prefer).
R = Rhythm. Was the swing rhythmic?
I = Impact. Did you flush the ball? Or did you hit it off the heel, toe, thin or fat?
B = Balance. How was your balance?
S = Strain. How strain-free was your swing?

Shawn Clement has an acronym he uses, which is quite helpful to me. After every shot, evaluate your swing according to RIBS (or RBIS if you prefer).
R = Rhythm. Was the swing rhythmic?
I = Impact. Did you flush the ball? Or did you hit it off the heel, toe, thin or fat?
B = Balance. How was your balance?
S = Strain. How strain-free was your swing?

I like that

Letting the club pass my hands through impact so that I can properly release the club. Ive hit high, weak shots to the right for years but this little tip has got me hitting straighter shots, hitting more greens, hitting my driver much better and has given me more chances to make par.

I was having occasional problems with my timing but I was told if I start having problems again to swing a club like a baseball bat and make a conscious effort to turn the hands over, do that a few times and then start hitting the ball again.

Not sure if I have explained the feeling properly, but for me it has resulted in a bit more distance with my irons, a nice high baby draw with my 3W off the tee and confidence that I can start hitting a driver well, hence my pondering for what to fill that gap in my bag with

The second thing was finding that my putter was a fraction too long so I was standing slightly too far away from the ball and the club was not lying flat so the face was slightly closed at impact meaning I was missing a lot of putts just to the left - gripped down slightly, shuffled closer to the ball and started hitting a lot more putts than I ever used to

It is amazing how such small changes can make such a big difference to your game.....

Hi Doc

My tip would be don't play football at all before the season is about to start!! Broken ankle's not good for your golf swing!!

Hi Doc

My tip would be don't play football at all before the season is about to start!! Broken ankle's not good for your golf swing!!

Ouch! What a bummer!

A great tip I was reminded of was keeping the left arm connected to or extremely close to the body on the take away. This will allow for the body to play a big part on the down swing, there by increasing club head speed and distance. It also limits any chance of getting over the top on the down swing.

This video from Pete Cowen fixed my bunker issues in about 15 minutes. No more fat/sculled shots for me!

Good stuff in that video! :)

I recently watched that and his tip about finishing with the hands high has really helped.

I recently put in a 3 hr session on the range. I was having so much fun I didn't know or care about the time.

I started hitting my driver at the very last. My hands were so tired and sore that I could hardly grasp or hang on to the club.

They were the best, the longest, drives I've hit in my four years of playing golf. It finally dawned on me how light I need to hold my driver.

I didn't want to stop but my hands were giving out. I couldn't hold the steering wheel on the drive home. I had to use my knuckles and knees. LOL.

Surprisingly my back was fine. I've been doing stretching exercises for some time now and it's done wonders for my 44 yr old back.

Gripping the staff slightly different. I have a horrid hook and I tried opening my stand and even facing away from the ball just so I can get a straight shot. Turns out all I needed to do was grip the driver differently to get positive results.

After a playing lesson the other day the best tip that stuck with me was for crisp pitches at the flag , open the stance slightly , ball just inside the front foots heel....boom high drop and stop pitches...luvverly jubbly....:banana:

I recently put in a 3 hr session on the range. I was having so much fun I didn't know or care about the time.

I started hitting my driver at the very last. My hands were so tired and sore that I could hardly grasp or hang on to the club.

They were the best, the longest, drives I've hit in my four years of playing golf. It finally dawned on me how light I need to hold my driver.

I didn't want to stop but my hands were giving out. I couldn't hold the steering wheel on the drive home. I had to use my knuckles and knees. LOL.

Surprisingly my back was fine. I've been doing stretching exercises for some time now and it's done wonders for my 44 yr old back.

This is so true. The tighter you grip a driver the less control you have over it. You arms get all tight and any fluid motion you were looking forward flies out the window.

Out of the pure frustration of going from a 12hc to a 25 in 2 years, and taking lessons and still getting worse, I decided to give up and read the Stack and Tilt book as a last resort. Didn't play a round for 3 weeks, and just practiced, practiced and more practice.

I was hesitant because I have a bad back, and have heard that S&T is hard on the back, but I actually found it easier on my lower back than my previous swing.

Keeping the weight forward and concentrating on staying centered over the ball has made a world of difference in my contact. The driver took a bit of getting used to, I was hitting them low and left at first, and still do on occasion, but it's worlds better than the right and more right that I was getting. I hit 6 of 7 fairways today and 4 of 9 GIRs when I played 9 after work. The weight forward has made an even larger difference in my short chips it seems. I had a habit of leaving everything short, or just popping the ball up and right, but all of the chips I had today actually flew to the hole and rolled past it......

Maybe this is the turn around I've been looking for these past 2 years...... Only time will tell.

Unconscious Putting by dave stockton has completely turned my game around for the better. best thing to ever happen to my game

This is so true. The tighter you grip a driver the less control you have over it. You arms get all tight and any fluid motion you were looking forward flies out the window.

I know this is something I need to work on ASAP. I've been focusing on making sure to get as much tension out of my swing with irons as possible and it has literally transformed my game over the past couple of months. The 3 or 4 bad drives I hit each round, I'm sure, are probably a direct result of getting too tense and gripping too tightly. I will purposefully spend time on this at the range tomorrow night.

I try to remember to cock my left shoulder in a little bit before I start my back swing. It's something I started doing at the end of last year and I started finding it reduced my slice immensely. I read that you tend to swing in the direction your shoulders are lined up with and I think they were too open at address. It seems to give me a better turn on the way back too.

I try to remember to cock my left shoulder in a little bit before I start my back swing. It's something I started doing at the end of last year and I started finding it reduced my slice immensely. I read that you tend to swing in the direction your shoulders are lined up with and I think they were too open at address. It seems to give me a better turn on the way back too.

I used to do the same thing and rotate my shoulders just a little closed. May need to get back there as I've been slicing pretty good off the tee lately.

Back