What new tip have you learned lately that has helped your game?

I try to remember to cock my left shoulder in a little bit before I start my back swing. It's something I started doing at the end of last year and I started finding it reduced my slice immensely. I read that you tend to swing in the direction your shoulders are lined up with and I think they were too open at address. It seems to give me a better turn on the way back too.

I have the same issue. According to my pro, getting the shoulders too open with the woods, is a common problem and certainly exacerbates any fade/slice.

I have the same issue. According to my pro, getting the shoulders too open with the woods, is a common problem and certainly exacerbates any fade/slice.

Hmmm, I might just give that a try tonight at the range as I was struggling badly at the weekend

Keeping the back of my hand facing the target at impact. Helps me keep from leaving the cubface open and start releasing my hands.

I have a tendency to slice my drives when because I'll come up and out of my stance. Something that popped in my head when practicing one day was just to think about keeping my shoulders and back feeling like they're forward, you won't be able to move them forward, but the thought of doing so keeps your back in the same position. Helps keep you from swaying as well.

Below is a video Tadashi made for me that goes over this very thing. This is what popped into my head on a tee box late in the season last year. I said to cock the left shoulder in, he said to being the right shoulder back. Same thing.

Thanks again for the tip Freddie!

I try to remember to cock my left shoulder in a little bit before I start my back swing. It's something I started doing at the end of last year and I started finding it reduced my slice immensely. I read that you tend to swing in the direction your shoulders are lined up with and I think they were too open at address. It seems to give me a better turn on the way back too.

I used to do the same thing and rotate my shoulders just a little closed. May need to get back there as I've been slicing pretty good off the tee lately.

Below is a video Tadashi made for me that goes over this very thing. This is what popped into my head on a tee box late in the season last year. I said to cock the left shoulder in, he said to being the right shoulder back. Same thing.

Thanks again for the tip Freddie!

This seems like something I need to religiously work on.. My miss is a pull.. And I just grabbed a club and set up and definitely realized that my right shoulder is super closed. I moved it back like Tadashi said it my goodness is makes all of the sense in the world!!!!

This seems like something I need to religiously work on.. My miss is a pull.. And I just grabbed a club and set up and definitely realized that my right shoulder is super closed. I moved it back like Tadashi said it my goodness is makes all of the sense in the world!!!!

It's an easy flaw to fall into and for me at least, takes constant vigilance to correct.

I watched the Titleist Performance Institute on the Golf Channel and it had Tom Pernice Jr. along with Bob Vokey talking about bunker play. I watched Pernice put a lot of bend into his knees as he was hitting out of the sand.The next night I was at a local country club which has a practice bunker, so I decided to give a go for a couple of minutes. What do you know - it works. I hitting some great shots out of the bunker. I am going to keep trying this.

It's an easy flaw to fall into and for me at least, takes constant vigilance to correct.
I hit my last four fairways of 2012 and my first six or seven of 2013 after it popped into my head on a tee box. I took a practice swing and noticed it. So I turned around and said that this will be an awesome drive. And it was!

What was your big break through moment with golf/your swing?

What was your big break through moment with golf/your swing?

I was at the range with my friend yesterday when my friend asked me what the hell I was doing with my grip. I've always been told to hold the club lightly with my fingers and not to strangle it with my palms but no one's really showed me how. I kid you not, I probably picked up about twenty five yards with that little change and my ball flight seemed to straighten out a great deal too. I was making much better contact with my driver, irons, and wedges. He told me the added distance was from picking up club head speed from my wrists and arms being more loose like a whip instead of my arms being stiff like a couple of planks. I still haven't quite gotten used to the feel, but that will come with time. I'd really like to know what my swing speed is now, it was around 90 while I was strangling the life out of the club. What were your guys moments when you felt like you really turned a page with your game?

Merged with a similar thread.

one piece of advice that I never would've thought to do is choking down on the club when you do a bump and run or chip shot within about 7 yards of the green. it's totally revolutionized my short game

Putting the ball really far forward in my stance, along with some shoulder tilt has really helped me gain some launch angle with my driver. Seeing much better results recently. Also keeping an eye on my takeaway and making sure everything goes back together has helped me too

One piece takeaway, hands, arms, hips, shoulders in a wider arc and letting the wrists hinge naturally.

I have a bad habit of starting my swing with a wrist hinge which causes me to come into the ball way too steep. Losing power and causing all sorts of undesirable stuff.

J.

Wasn't really a tip, but a few weeks ago they were discussing a guy putting, and his arms were very chicken winged and they mentioned that it helped him to have the putter go straight back straight through. I tried it, and combined with my new stroke saver slim grip, I'm putting great. Had my best ever putting day yesterday. No 3-putts, two 8 footers, two 10 footers, and 4 over 15 feet. One of which was my longest ever putt, at 31 paces! Then putt well today too, though not that long.

I've been making a lot more putts, specifically from ten feet and in, by being a little more aggressive with the stroke. I've even incorporated the pulling the right shoulder back a little into the putting stroke.

I was missing a lot of putts on the low side so I was never giving the ball a chance to go in.

Start the swing with the shoulders turning not the arms. Don't preset the wrists. Let them hinge naturally. Keep wrists flat 'Stricker' like until they hinge at the top of the swing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My first lesson was last week. My coach had me focus on NOT keeping my right arm straight (left a for you right handers) on the backswing and follow through.

This has helped me lose a lot of tension and subsequently helped me hit my irons a lot crisper and ironically farther. For the last week I haven't hit one short iron or wedge fat.

Funny, my father drilled it into my head that my left arm needed to be straight, it's something I still do!

Last thing I learned was that I have too much movement in my lower body. I tend to sway a bit and i'm not using momentum properly. After focusing on my lower body movement I've started hitting my drives so much straighter.

During my last range session, I was hitting balls all normal like and then the old guy in my stall to the left (probably 55-60 and one of the most athletic old guys I have seen as he was crushing driver about 260) wearing an oil covered shirt and ripped up jeans told me "You're doing it wrong" in the middle of my swing. I was like WTF haha.

He told my my swing was good, but I was making it difficult for myself to get ball first then ground. He told me to forward press the club at address, take a wider stance (didn't realize that my stance was actually narrower than shoulder width), move the ball back to the middle of my stance and strike the ball with my hands ahead of the club head.

First few shots were garbage as I had to adjust, but after that it was like the clouds parted and rays of sunshine were illuminating me. I'm striking everything so much better now that it is crazy and I added about 10 yards to each of my irons! I'm not sure who this guy was but he must have been some sort of golfing angel :clap:. I have never really had anyone give me input on my swing, just taught myself with stuff on here and the Youtubes, so it was nice to have somebody (who apparently knows what they are doing) give me some input.

My buddy taught me how to deloft my 56* and hit a more running chip around the green by putting the ball back in my stance. Almost had a few chip in's today.

How to play out of wet compacted sand.

The biggest piece of advice came from my instructor. My biggest problem has been topped shots or severely fat shots. After looking at me swing a few, he noticed I was looking up before impact. He told me to fill in a few dimples of the ball with a marker.(that way I would most likely be able to see the mark from any lie) From there he told me to focus on that dimple until I saw the ball leave the face of the club. This has done wonders for my iron play. Too my surprise it has also done wonders for my chips, driving, and putting. I am definately making better contact with the ball because I am not lifting my head and jumping up before impact.

Back