What new tip have you learned lately that has helped your game?

being more upright with my driver, fw, and hybrids.

My new swing mantra - focus on "easy speed" rather than body positions. It's amazing how fast and easy I can swing the club by doing what feels natural - only to have that feeling completely go away when standing over the ball as I try to force my body into positions that don't feel comfortable and of course lead to major loss of power. I recently picked up a book that attempts to explain that the body learns by focusing on outcomes rather than positions - and so far the results have been promising. I took my new swing to the course after only a few practice swings in my basement and finally broke 100.

Certainly not all mental - I also picked up something that I previously thought was more of an advanced concept for extra distance but now it seems more like a fundamental - generating lag which enables a tighter, more compact swing radius. Once I started focusing on maintaining the wrist hinge on the initial phase of the downswing, it naturally introduced a little pause at the top of the backswing whereby my downswing would automatically start with my legs/hips. And the extra speed I now generate (with seemingly less effort) helps promote a natural release through the ball. Also focusing on standing a bit taller to the ball, which seems to help as well.

I've been at this long enough to know that there are no miracle cures, but my swing sure does feel a lot more in control and purposeful and I'm hoping I finally have found a good foundation to work from rather than experimenting with new positions and swing thoughts every time out.

You'll never get ball-then-turf contact with your irons unless you shift your weight to your front foot.

Focus on distance only when putting, just pick a point somewhere on the green, put a tee there. Put to the tee and focus on distance only. My distance control has improved greatly.

Soft hands during chipping, cost me a lot of time to get used to it, but aiming has improved a lot. Now the distance control needs to get in check too as it's off too much.

I've had some issues with a, "flying elbow" and what has really helped me to reduce that is to have a feeling of extension and that my elbows stay close to each other.
I tried the headcovers drill but felt that it hurt my power and caused me to start coming over the top and cut across the ball. Since I tried the headcover drill, I went from a slight push or duck hook with my driver to a huge slice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not new, but shoulder alignment paid dividends today. Just a quick 15 minute session with one our Golftec instructors Saturday and open shoulders was one of the first things he mentioned. First round today focusing solely on squaring the shoulders with the lower body and target line and my ball-striking was as good as its been in quite awhile.

Not new, but shoulder alignment paid dividends today. Just a quick 15 minute session with one our Golftec instructors Saturday and open shoulders was one of the first things he mentioned. First round today focusing solely on squaring the shoulders with the lower body and target line and my ball-striking was as good as its been in quite awhile.

My lesson on alignment is one of the best lessons I ever received and I get out of whack in a hurry. So important!

You'll never get ball-then-turf contact with your irons unless you shift your weight to your front foot.

Had the same one from my instructor about a month ago and since then my ball striking has greatly improved. Used to hit a lot of fat shots, not anymore since I have been concentrating on that.

Had the same one from my instructor about a month ago and since then my ball striking has greatly improved. Used to hit a lot of fat shots, not anymore since I have been concentrating on that.

The ball forward drill is a great one for this. I do it at the range for a few balls whenever I feel like I'm hanging back.

I've slowed down my backswing and "squatted" a little more in my stance.

Not sure what it will be next week, hahaha.

Slowing down the backswing has helped me alot. Helps me keep a better tempo and get through the ball.

The combination above has led to consecutive rounds of 82-80-81 after today, so this seems to be working for me. I do think I was too upright in my stance before making this change. Shots are flying straighter, farther and I am taking less of them.

I've always used a slower compact swing, but mentally counting 1-2 has improve my tempo and striking tremendously. 1 at thee top and 2 when I strike. Now if I could just get my aiming better lol

Have a neutral shaft position on chip shots and feel more pressure on your middle and ring finger. Pressure on pointer and thumb creates an inconsistent shot.

I think sometimes I pay my coach $50 every couple of months to be reminded what a proper grip is. Get your feet in your address position, then hold the club parallel to the ground. Look at your hands. The crease of your left hand will point at your right armpit, and your right hand at your chin, while the clubhead is pointed at your target.

You can't have a chicken-winged right elbow and a tight lat at the same time. Letting your right hip start the swing with your body and the right lat start the swing with the arms will prevent casting. Big muscles drive a powerful swing.

I have been struggling lately to hit decent pitch shots from 50 yards and in. I went back & rewatched a Gary Player short game Golf Channel Academy show I had recorded. He was demonstrating how to hit high, soft pitches by cocking/setting the wrists early and accelerating through the bottom of the arc. (He also showed how keeping the shaft upright & opening the face create more dynamic loft too). Then he made the point of demonstrating that a strong grip makes it much easier to set the wrists completely. I had heard/read somewhere that on short shots you should use a neutral grip (maybe Pelz?). I switched to a strong grip - which I use anyway on my regular swing - and suddenly I can hit these fantastic, soft AND ACCURATE shots!

It's funny what works for different people. I don't generally get caught up in these sorts of articles, but this one really resonated with me.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/groundbreaking-research-best-way-fix-your-slice

Today I went out with just enough time to hit a handful of practice swings before our round. Focused on the idea of the club path, like they talk about in the article. It wasn't perfect, but I only had one bad drive and no bad slices. Seemed to help me so I wanted to share.

If you slice use a baseball style grip. Wow, didn't change anything but that and I was hooking my drives and drawing my irons.

It's funny what works for different people. I don't generally get caught up in these sorts of articles, but this one really resonated with me.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/groundbreaking-research-best-way-fix-your-slice

Today I went out with just enough time to hit a handful of practice swings before our round. Focused on the idea of the club path, like they talk about in the article. It wasn't perfect, but I only had one bad drive and no bad slices. Seemed to help me so I wanted to share.

The tip about aiming at the inside quadrant of the ball in this article may save my game. Thanks for posting.

Wasn't a tip, but I started keeping my lower body quiet (very quiet). I am hitting straighter and more consistent then ever.

its all in the head!

I am playing for bogey, and cosider a par liek abirdie, it helps me a lot to keep my head cool when missing shots, I need to accept that I am a 18 handicap

Honestly a tip I was told long ago that I never listened to.

Stop swinging so freakin hard. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. My gir is going up significantly at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mine was that there's absolutely no reason to hit driver 75% of the time. If i can play my approach to either 150yds or 100yds with a proper angle to the pin, Ill hit a GIR well over 50% of the time. Bottom line was play to my money shots. Leave the ego in the bag

just gave myself a friendly reminder to stop holding the club so freaking hard. Only as much as is necessary so that somebody can't pull it out of your hands.

now, i'm doing that at address, but I can't stop from gripping it like a dying chicken at the top of the swing. Argh.

The putting drill that THP TV filmed with Pat O"Brien from the PGA Show this year is one of the best putting tips I have ever received. Every putt I step up to now, I believe I can make.
Where do I find this JB?

Back