What new tip have you learned lately that has helped your game?

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
I have recently started struggling with my fairway woods so I researched some tips online. The one thing that finally worked for me was to extend my arms through impact and the finish. The video I watched showed how we sometimes draw our arms into our body when hitting. Now I am hitting them great again. Thinking about extending my arms with my driver helped me get more yardage too.

So, what is a recent tip you've learned that has helped your game?

Cool thread idea! I saw a chipping tip on GC I think it was the Academy show. The tip was ball back in the stance, slightly open stance, top of grip pointed at left hip (for righties) and leaning forward. I have really worked on the last part and I have seen my chips improve quite a bit. Also amazing what practice and practice can do for your confidence.

I've been struggling with a slice and decided to head back to GolfTec for one follow up lesson. Was told I was cupping my wrist at the top of my back swing and needed to focus on keeping the wrist flat or even bowed. It has been working great so far.

The putting drill that THP TV filmed with Pat O"Brien from the PGA Show this year is one of the best putting tips I have ever received. Every putt I step up to now, I believe I can make.

A simple adjustment to setup position, starting with address. Step up to the ball, bend from the waist until I feel my toes start to raise and then bend my knees to balance out weight. This little tip along with playing ALL irons shots from just front of center (shirt pocket) has really helped.

Tapping away on my S3

The putting drill that THP TV filmed with Pat O"Brien from the PGA Show this year is one of the best putting tips I have ever received. Every putt I step up to now, I believe I can make.

This one? I'm glad you mentioned it because I have my SeeMore back in my bag after a great round with it this week.

I recently researched some chipping tips. I found that ball placement and stance was my biggest issue. I wish I would have caught that clip Crest saw on GC.

I'll look on the home page, but you have a link handy? Always looking for good putter tips!

For me it was a putting tip as well. It was around tempo in your routine and developing a trigger to start your swing. I want to say it was from a Bob Rotella book, but I'm not sure. He talked about a cadence around your trigger. It's a four count. After you've settled over the ball; 1) look at the hole one last time 2) eyes back to the ball 3) start back swing 4) start forward swing. Or something along those lines. Has helped me take my brain out of my putts a little as I tend to freeze up over the ball sometimes, which causes me to get jerky. This cadence allows me to make my swing a little more automatic and focus solely on speed. TBH, I don't even usually make it to 4 in my mind. It's all about the trigger to starting the backswing for me. Hope that makes sense.

Great idea for a thread KB!

EDIT: Nevermind, sounds like KB found it.

3 letters have helped me tremendously: R S T

I recently researched some chipping tips. I found that ball placement and stance was my biggest issue. I wish I would have caught that clip Crest saw on GC.

Sorry I can't remember if it was the Golf Fix or Golf Academy, but if you go on GCs website you might be able to search either 2 of the shows and maybe get lucky to find it. Good luck and let me know if you find it.

This is the putting video.

A tip for helping decrease overuse of the right (for RH plays) hand and regulating grip pressure: wrap the index finger over the shaft so the shaft is between the index and middle fingers. Take some practice swings or even hit range balls with this grip. This emphasizes holding the club with the bottom fingers.

Cool thread idea! I saw a chipping tip on GC I think it was the Academy show. The tip was ball back in the stance, slightly open stance, top of grip pointed at left hip (for righties) and leaning forward. I have really worked on the last part and I have seen my chips improve quite a bit. Also amazing what practice and practice can do for your confidence.

Mine is similar to this. It was Mark Crossfield's chipping video. It was a forward press, 70% of weight on front foot, but it was the slight wrist action that I was neglecting that is really giving me better contact.

to remember to not thrust my right hip at the ball

That was a good tip from Pat. I like the easy ones for putting.

Hokie, if you have a link, I'd love to watch it. I've always tried to chip with dead hands, but am always willing to try something new if it helps with contact.

Club path coming inside to out and swinging to right center field.

This one sounds goofy but since I have had the fantastic opportunity to test the optishot and they state that it has trouble reading adjustable headed clubs I've only worried about path and center of face contact on my driver and 5wd and it has shown a huge improvement on the range.

This "sledge hammer drill / heavy axe drill" really clicked for me on how to make everything flow in order to hit down and through the ball correctly. I immediately saw big improvements in distance and therefore a lot more confidence with my irons.

The bad part was that I didn't see this until October when regular play opportunities were really drying up. I love this guy's videos.

For the impatient, he gets to the meat of the drill at the 2:00 mark but the whole thing is well worth the watch IMO.

[video=youtube;bvh-wqkgEYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvh-wqkgEYo[/video]

Mine is similar to this. It was Mark Crossfield's chipping video. It was a forward press, 70% of weight on front foot, but it was the slight wrist action that I was neglecting that is really giving me better contact.

I agree. Crossfields chipping video was a game changer for me. I think it suits the Scor wedges really well, which I wasn't even thinking about at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUFYgbsxU0Y

The grip. By Ben Hogan.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Cool thread KB! I like the feet together drill that helps to correct swaying laterally. You simply hit balls on the range with your feet together to reinforce turning and not swaying in your swing.

I really like the heavy axe drill that Kenh posted too.

Cool thread KB! I like the feet together drill that helps to correct swaying laterally. You simply hit balls on the range with your feet together to reinforce turning and not swaying in your swing.

I really like the heavy axe drill that Kenh posted too.

When I feel like I'm swaying I start taking practice swings with my feet together. Usually a good 'feel fix' on the course.

You think it suits the scores due to the v-sole?

Yes, I think the v sole works well with a more neutral hand position (not too far forward), this also means that the ball is not so far back in the stance. This will cost you some spin (although not as much as I feared) but I've found much more consistency.

I've been using it religiously since the show.

Back