Bridgestone J40 Wedges

One thing that I am really liking right now about my choices of a 54 and 58 wedge is that I feel I have some nice options around the green, esp from the bunker. From some of those longer bunker shots the 54 is easy enough to open the face and blast it out. When I short side myself in a bunker the 58 is good enough to high the ball out and leave myself a good looking putt.

The 54 has become my go to chipping club for now. I tried some with the 58 and slid under it both times on the same hole. Switched to the 54 and hit a good shot. I know that's probably more on my then the club, but whatever gives you confidence right?

The KBS Tour Shaft in them seems good on full swings. I do think I lose some spin when it comes to trying to make it hop and stop though. I do like the 54 from 105 out though. I tried some full shots with the 58 and was getting it about 85 yards. I don't really anticipate using that club in the fashion a lot though. I think the 54 will be seeing majority of the action from 100 and in.

The 50(bent from 52) sounds like it might arrive this week. That would complete the bag. I'm hoping that club would be my 115 stick.

I haven't had much time with these but I have to say they are pretty darn good! I was actually hitting chips and not rolling way past the hole on me. Haven't hit out of the sand but once in Indy Saturday. Got out but was short. I got the PX 5.5 graphite in these as well. They look sweet with the black head blue shaft combo. I played after the rain yesterday. Pulled out my 54* and it has rust all over it already. It feels as if it's on top of the finish. I tried to rub it off and it won't come off that way. Anyone have any ideas how to clean it up soon before it cause real damage? Help!

I an most likely ordering these tomorrow. Woohoo.

Bullfrog - I have used steel wool to clean rust off of wedges. Worked pretty well. May take off some of the finish though, as the ones I did were a little older so I'm not sure.

I an most likely ordering these tomorrow. Woohoo.

Bullfrog - I have used steel wool to clean rust off of wedges. Worked pretty well. May take off some of the finish though, as the ones I did were a little older so I'm not sure.

Congrats Jconn, I think you will like them, they have been excellent for me.

So last night I was at the range and there was 1 other person there with me. He hit like 10 shots and was out of there, but he left his bucket down on the end of the range. Since I was on the other side of the range I decided to work on some pitch shots. I decided to take 10 balls and at first use my 58* and try to pitch as many as I could of the 10 close to the bucket. The first time I did it I tried to hit a high pitch, then on the way back a more medium pitch, followed by a lower pitch. After doing that cycle a few times I went back to hitting balls. Then I took another break and did the same drill with the 54. While I know it wasn't the best way to practice those types of shots because I had no green to work with, I found it to be productive and entertaining.

the spinners are supposed to launch the ball low...correct?

Spinners are supposed to lower the ball flight yes. I had them on my previous wedges and I'm not sure I noticed a big difference. Why are you hitting high balls?

Yes, the Spinner is designed to launch the ball lower and increase ball spin.

Yes, the Spinner is designed to launch the ball lower and increase ball spin.
Thats what I thought...the one round I have with the 54* I was launching the ball high. but, not losing any distance. I actually quite liked the ball flight

Thats what I thought...the one round I have with the 54* I was launching the ball high. but, not losing any distance. I actually quite liked the ball flight

FWIW, I launch these a bit higher than the stock SCOR shafts. Perhaps the Spinners are designed to be lower than some others but I guess it's all a matter of what you are comparing them to. Like you, I do like the flight of the Spinners.

Coming from the Scors, you will see that, I believe. Having spent time with the J40 wedges and the SCOR wedges, I do believe that the Scors were definitely flighted the ball much lower than the J40s w/ Spinners in them. If I remember correctly, with the Scor wedges I was getting a lower flight and a quick hop and stop, but with the J40s I got a of a higher shot with more backspin that would back the ball up a bit.

FWIW, I launch these a bit higher than the stock SCOR shafts. Perhaps the Spinners are designed to be lower than some others but I guess it's all a matter of what you are comparing them to. Like you, I do like the flight of the Spinners.

Coming from the Scors, you will see that, I believe. Having spent time with the J40 wedges and the SCOR wedges, I do believe that the Scors were definitely flighted the ball much lower than the J40s w/ Spinners in them. If I remember correctly, with the Scor wedges I was getting a lower flight and a quick hop and stop, but with the J40s I got a of a higher shot with more backspin that would back the ball up a bit.

thanks fellas, I was beginning to wonder...hahaha

I wonder how much the ballflight difference is between the KBS Tour and the Spinner. Sounds like you are all hitting the spinner shafts fairly high as it is.

Interesting thoughts on the spinners guys. I have long considered them, not sure if it is a good route for me though.

Are you saying lower launch or lower flight? Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a difference there.

They're designed to launch lower but there are also two different spinner shafts with a little bit difference in characteristics.. TC (iirc) had a wonderful QA that explained the differences with the Spinner shafts.

For what it's worth... I hit the 56* pretty high, but its a sand wedge so its supposed to do that. But it does not launch as high as my 588. Peak height, I couldn't tell a difference but coming off the club I see it.

Just finished a nice round with my J40s and they perform so well as I have said many times in the past. My black oxide 56* has a nice little layer of rust that gives it a great look.

These wedges stop on a dime from almost every lie. I credit the sole and construction to get through light rough and impart some really good spin. I haven't had a ton of play with other leading wedges on the market, at least not as much time that I have logged with these. And the J40s perform as well as any wedge I have played. I think these save me at least 3 shots a round.

had an awesome round with my 54*. I even chipped one in for eagle. Greenside, I have become rather automatic with this thing as far as getting it close. From 100 and in, I am starting to dial this sucker in. I am pretty in love right now. I feel like I have tons of control with this wedge.

I'm glad to hear that dude, well mostly glad. Seriously though happy you are having success and grats on the chip in.

I try to avoid pics in this thread because the black oxide screams buy me! So clean and no nonsense.

--
Tapatalk2

I'm glad to hear that dude, well mostly glad. Seriously though happy you are having success and grats on the chip in.

I try to avoid pics in this thread because the black oxide screams buy me! So clean and no nonsense.

--
Tapatalk2

thanks buddy! I am loving the setup right now

Didn't really use my wedges all that much today. I had 1 bunker shot that left me a good look at an up and in, but I burned the edge with the putt. I had 2 shots from about 70 yards that I was able to get up and in with as well.

Also had 1 full swing with the 54 from 109 that hit on the green and ended up 15 feet(but a missed putt for an easy par). The 54 has clearly become my favorite of the wedges right now.

Ok I am going to pull the trigger on the Bridgestone J40 today. I need help my fellow THPers in making the final decisions.

Black onyx or chrome satin? ------> I have Wilson Ci11, so leaning toward black onyx.

52 - 56 or 54 - 58, 52 - 58 ------> my last wedge in my set is 48 degrees. I have never really liked a 60 wedge, so not really an option. I currently have a 52 - 56. I think I like the idea of the lower bounces on the 54 - 58. Well I will be waiting for your words of wisdom.

Jjjj - I think both finishes look great but I went with black oxide as I love the rusted look even though it will not match my irons.

For the wedges, it really depends on how you use them. Full shots? Just partial, etc?

I definitely like having a 58* for lobs without having to open up the club, just never been real comfortable with that.

With that said, I would go either 52-58 or 54-58 just depending on how you intend to use it.

Ok I am going to pull the trigger on the Bridgestone J40 today. I need help my fellow THPers in making the final decisions.

Black onyx or chrome satin? ------> I have Wilson Ci11, so leaning toward black onyx.

52 - 56 or 54 - 58, 52 - 58 ------> my last wedge in my set is 48 degrees. I have never really liked a 60 wedge, so not really an option. I currently have a 52 - 56. I think I like the idea of the lower bounces on the 54 - 58. Well I will be waiting for your words of wisdom.

For once I agree w/ Cookie LOL. For finish I think it just depends on if you want one that will rust or not. I went with the Black Oxide as well just because I have never had this color finish on a wedge before and so far I am happy w/ my choice. If I was in your shoes I would likely go 52-58. The variable bounce tech means you should have no issues w/ any loft of the J40's out of the sand.

Ok I am settled on the 58. I also am not really found of opening up wedges. My 48 degree wedge is a gap wedge and I use it for full shots and choke it down so it is flexible. I guess my question would be is the 58 good out of the sand. What is your club of choice from the sand mcook? After that it just comes down to distances and bounce. I probably would go to the 52.

Regarding finishes. The blacks would go very nice with my set. I am undecided on rust as I have never had them. The place I am ordering from tonight said that the black onyx will ship from the manufacturer with an extra 3-5 days. This worries me as to delivery date.

Ok I am settled on the 58. I also am not really found of opening up wedges. My 48 degree wedge is a gap wedge and I use it for full shots and choke it down so it is flexible. I guess my question would be is the 58 good out of the sand. What is your club of choice from the sand mcook? After that it just comes down to distances and bounce. I probably would go to the 52.

Regarding finishes. The blacks would go very nice with my set. I am undecided on rust as I have never had them. The place I am ordering from tonight said that the black onyx will ship from the manufacturer with an extra 3-5 days. This worries me as to delivery date.

I have been using the 54 and 58 out of the sand w/ no issues. Again thanks to the variable bounce technology there is no need to worry about the bounce. I use the 54 if I have some green to work with and the 58 if I don't.

Back