Heel vs Center Shafted Putter

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
I have used a heel shafted putter since I first picked up the game as a kid. Was at the range today and borrowed a friends center shafted TaylorMade Spider Vicino and absolutely loved it.

So my question is, is there a huge difference between center shafted and heel shafted? Or is it like everything else with putting and purely mental?

Thoughts?

So my question is, is there a huge difference between center shafted and heel shafted? Or is it like everything else with putting and purely mental?

Thoughts?

Absolutely not. I know everybody talks about putting being all mental, but in reality it is just like anything else in golf and mechanics and proper fitting play a huge role in it.

I know first hand that a center shaft does not work for me. My stroke is perfect for a heel shafted blade, but a center shaft results in tons of pulled putts. Just not right for my stroke and style. I would think this would be true for others as well, being good with one type or the other but not both.

I know first hand that a center shaft does not work for me. My stroke is perfect for a heel shafted blade, but a center shaft results in tons of pulled putts. Just not right for my stroke and style. I would think this would be true for others as well, being good with one type or the other but not both.

Yep, I prefer a center shaft.

I was draining every putt it hit with the center shafted putter my friend had, and for some reason, it just seemed easier to putt with.

Went back to my heel shafted blade putter and was pushing them right again.

Now I have a dilemma on my hands of what I need to get, as I am in the market for a new putter.

You may want to talk with the folks at SeeMore. They specialize in so many center shafted models (as well as all models) and really have amazing customer service in terms of talking people through the right model, over the phone.

For me I don't think center shafted vs heal shafted makes any difference. It is face balanced vs. some toe hang and a repeatable stroke. I am so happy I switched to a SeeMore which has not only helped my alignment but a comfort in repeating the same stroke I have never had before.

Last edited:
You may want to talk with the folks at SeeMore. They specialize in so many center shafted models (as well as all models) and really have amazing customer service in terms of talking people through the right model, over the phone.

Just to touch a bit more on JB's post, about a year ago I was gaming the Odyssey White Ice #9, it's heel shafted. I loved the putter but sucked at putting. I was at a loss and didn't know what to do. I am sure I pestered tons of folks for advice and asked questions then I simply sent an email to Seemore. Best thing I ever did. Ironically, it was recommended that I start using a center shafted putter. Check out this link:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?16140-Joining-the-Seemore-Club

Just to touch a bit more on JB's post, about a year ago I was gaming the Odyssey White Ice #9, it's heel shafted. I loved the putter but sucked at putting. I was at a loss and didn't know what to do. I am sure I pestered tons of folks for advice and asked questions then I simply sent an email to Seemore. Best thing I ever did. Ironically, it was recommended that I start using a center shafted putter. Check out this link:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?16140-Joining-the-Seemore-Club

The instructor and fitter at the SAMS FitLab told me I was a perfect candidate for a center shafted putter because I'm straight back and straight through. In spite of that advice I still use my Scotty Newport that I found at Play-It-Again-Sports for $15. However, I love my Ping 1/2 Craz-E on lag putts. Go figure.

I was draining every putt it hit with the center shafted putter my friend had, and for some reason, it just seemed easier to putt with.

Went back to my heel shafted blade putter and was pushing them right again.

Now I have a dilemma on my hands of what I need to get, as I am in the market for a new putter.

I agree with JB. SeeMore Is A Super Option. They are absolutely Fantastic...I know 1st hand I play the Si4.... I also have purchased & read Putter Perfection: The Groundbreaking Guide to Finding the Right Fit for Your Game
They sell it at THP store. Good Luck with your search ..

I agree. A couple of years ago I bought a center shafted SeeMore but couldn't putt good with it. I was in contact with their CS a couple of times and it was great talking with them. No doubt top notch. I would recommend them to anyone in the market for a center shaft or other styles as well.

i've never hit a centered shafted putter, always heel.
i'll have to try one out...see if i notice a difference or "toe hang"

I only tried the SeeMore once, from a playing partner. Loved the thing, but couldn't ever figure out the red dot stuff in the pro shop.

Like the OP, I've used a heel-shafted putter all my life, but unlike his experience with a center-shafted putter, I've tried them and couldn't get used to them.

I guess the thing I like most about heel-shafted putters is that, to me, they look more like "golf clubs" in that they resemble the rest of my clubs which naturally are all "heel-shafted". Of course that's more about opinion or visual preference than anything scientific, but like many other things in golf, if it makes you more comfortable or makes you feel confident, then it's right for you.

One technical thing I like about heel-shafted putters is that when I'm facing a tricky right to left breaker, I set up so that the ball is lined up more towards the toe of the club to allow the head to "lag" a bit at impact resulting in a softer strike on the ball allowing me to swing the club a bit harder, which I prefer as opposed to just tapping the ball and letting the green do the work. It may be just a mental thing, but I feel it gives me more control over putts like that and it's something I've done for as long as I can remember and it does seem to work.

Like the OP, I've used a heel-shafted putter all my life, but unlike his experience with a center-shafted putter, I've tried them and couldn't get used to them.

I guess the thing I like most about heel-shafted putters is that, to me, they look more like "golf clubs" in that they resemble the rest of my clubs which naturally are all "heel-shafted". Of course that's more about opinion or visual preference than anything scientific, but like many other things in golf, if it makes you more comfortable or makes you feel confident, then it's right for you.

One technical thing I like about heel-shafted putters is that when I'm facing a tricky right to left breaker, I set up so that the ball is lined up more towards the toe of the club to allow the head to "lag" a bit at impact resulting in a softer strike on the ball allowing me to swing the club a bit harder, which I prefer as opposed to just tapping the ball and letting the green do the work. It may be just a mental thing, but I feel it gives me more control over putts like that and it's something I've done for as long as I can remember and it does seem to work.

I agree exactly with what you said, the heel shaft does have that typical putter or "golf look."

Like I originally posted, would definitely have to get used to the visual difference of a center shaft, but hey, I would putt with a shovel if it helped me roll them in.

My putter is a Backstryke and while not technically center shafted it seems to follow the same principles. Of all the putters I have owned (a LOT) the Backstryke has me putting with zero stress. Center shafted putters seem to aid those with a straight back and through putting stroke. Why I am not sure. Some of it may have to do with how the weight is distributed relative to where the shaft meets the putter. I like CS putters and they seem to fit my stroke quite well.

... I would putt with a shovel if it helped me roll them in.

That's the bottom line! :clapp:

Whatever it looks like, whatever it's made of and whether it costs hundreds or was purchased from the bargain rack in WalMart - if it works for you, then it's the right putter.

+1 I feel like I say this is all the time, but its true

That's the bottom line! :clapp:

Whatever it looks like, whatever it's made of and whether it costs hundreds or was purchased from the bargain rack in WalMart - if it works for you, then it's the right putter.

I've putted well with both types but I prefer the look of and believe myself to be marginally better with center-shafted putters. I have an original center-shafted Never Compromise Voodoo putter that I'll never get rid of. I haven't put it in play yet this season but that thing has been too good to me for too long, I'll never give it up.

SeeMore can figure out exactly what you need and get you on track in a hurry, but another suggestion is go to this link: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...ction-by-Sean-Weir-Available-in-the-THP-Store

Sean's new book will give you all the information you need to understand why one putter does not fit al, how to go about finding what works for you and the best part is that they have it here in the THP store. Good luck.

9 holes tonight in my weekly league. Had a total of 12 putts, with nothing more than a 2 putt. LOVED the Center Shafted putter. 12 putts on 9 holes is a personal best for me. Thanks for the info and input everyone gave!

Centere-shafted SeeMores work best for me. I also have a Odyssey Backstryke two-ball that feels good too.

Depends on your stroke. I always used a blade style putter and avg's 2.3-2.5 putts per round and qas using the Backstryke Blade. Middle of last season I picked up a used Odyssey White Ice #9 which is heel shafted and by the end of the season I was down to 2.0 ppr. Visually, like others mentioned it fit my eye better bc every other club is heel shafted. This season, loving the heel shafted look and feel I purchased the Method 003 and now avg 1.6 ppr.

Back