The Longest Fairway Wood?

Get out of my head....That is EXACTLY what I relate it to, except with a way better shaft. Loved that old club, and this one is even better for my swing.

And I feel for you if we have similar swing types.

That club was in my bag longer than any other club. Single biggest mistake in terms of club sale of my life.

If you were going to compare a srixon 3 -wood to a Cleveland 3 - wood which would be the easier to hit off the deck or tee?

If you were going to compare a srixon 3 -wood to a Cleveland 3 - wood which would be the easier to hit off the deck or tee?

Off the deck? For me its the Cleveland.

Are you also considering a Mashie M1 for the 3W spot JB?

Are you also considering a Mashie M1 for the 3W spot JB?

No, not really. I really like the M1, but I find that I get more distance out of a FW wood. I also dont really struggle with the accuracy of a FW wood. However if I did, the M1 would be in the bag.

I really like that test. Unbiased feedback is undoubtedly the best thing one can hear. I'm in the market for some fairway woods, and I'll definitely be looking into these.

Original TEE 3w

On the range before my round today, I took 3 fairway woods over to our practice holes at Grand Cypress and sat from a certain distance on the par 5 with an approach shot just like a real situation. I hit 6 balls for each club

Callaway Diablo Octane (my normal FW wood)
Tour Edge Exotics CB4
Cleveland Launcher

Callaway was really good. Each one landed at the front edge or just off of it and the shot dispersion was really tight. Not a huge surprise for me since it is the club in my bag as of now. Nigh and high ball flight with awesome carry and soft landing.

Tour Edge was pretty good. It was about 5 yards further routinely than the Callaway (10 on 2 shots) and the shot dispersion was not quite as tight, but it had a nice feel and good sound.

Cleveland was virtually right next to the Callway. The balls even hit the Callaway balls on 2 of them. Right on the fringe, although the longest ball I hit before the round was with the Cleveland and it landed pin high (about 15 yards further than the others).

Next up I went to the next hole and took all three clubs to the tee box. This is a par 4 (has 5 different tee boxes) and has a strategically placed bunker to really favor hitting the fairway wood instead of the driver.

Callaway was really good again. All 6 balls landed right in front of the bunker and they were all with in about 5 yards of each other.

The Tour Edge was about the same distance although hit 1 further than the Callaway and into the fairway bunker.

Cleveland was LONG. All 6 went into the fairway bunker (which is about 8-10 yards ahead of where the others landed)

I came away incredibly shocked by the distance gained. In a couple of ways really. First off how similar they are off the deck, but also how much longer it was off the tee. Fun little test and so glad that I have these practice holes.

On the range before my round today, I took 3 fairway woods over to our practice holes at Grand Cypress and sat from a certain distance on the par 5 with an approach shot just like a real situation. I hit 6 balls for each club

Callaway Diablo Octane (my normal FW wood)
Tour Edge Exotics CB4
Cleveland Launcher

Callaway was really good. Each one landed at the front edge or just off of it and the shot dispersion was really tight. Not a huge surprise for me since it is the club in my bag as of now. Nigh and high ball flight with awesome carry and soft landing.

Tour Edge was pretty good. It was about 5 yards further routinely than the Callaway (10 on 2 shots) and the shot dispersion was not quite as tight, but it had a nice feel and good sound.

Cleveland was virtually right next to the Callway. The balls even hit the Callaway balls on 2 of them. Right on the fringe, although the longest ball I hit before the round was with the Cleveland and it landed pin high (about 15 yards further than the others).

Next up I went to the next hole and took all three clubs to the tee box. This is a par 4 (has 5 different tee boxes) and has a strategically placed bunker to really favor hitting the fairway wood instead of the driver.

Callaway was really good again. All 6 balls landed right in front of the bunker and they were all with in about 5 yards of each other.

The Tour Edge was about the same distance although hit 1 further than the Callaway and into the fairway bunker.

Cleveland was LONG. All 6 went into the fairway bunker (which is about 8-10 yards ahead of where the others landed)

I came away incredibly shocked by the distance gained. In a couple of ways really. First off how similar they are off the deck, but also how much longer it was off the tee. Fun little test and so glad that I have these practice holes.

If you have the chance, and wouldn't mind, could you do a little test like this with the Z-Star 3 wood thrown in there?

If you have the chance, and wouldn't mind, could you do a little test like this with the Z-Star 3 wood thrown in there?

I was planning to today, but did not have the FW wood with me. When I get a chance, I will do so.

I was planning to today, but did not have the FW wood with me. When I get a chance, I will do so.

Awesome. Thanks a bunch.

Very interesting info, JB. I like to see that since I'm planning on using the 17° off the tee more than the turf.

Great info JB!! As I mentioned in a seperate post I did a similar test yesterday at the golf store but with 4W. I could not tell distances traveled, I just went of impact sound and feel off mats. You are quite fortunate to have those practice holes JB, and access to all the various clubs so you can do tests like this whenever you want.

I would like thank this thread for making me question my M1. I just have to make time to get to the range and see what my distances are with the 15.5 hybrid.

Since this thread opened, I have tried the FL a few times. I really like how the ball jumps off of the club's face. I keep coming back to the F11 because of the accuracy with it. I just need to hit that range and spend some time with the Mashie.

Great info JB!! As I mentioned in a seperate post I did a similar test yesterday at the golf store but with 4W. I could not tell distances traveled, I just went of impact sound and feel off mats. You are quite fortunate to have those practice holes JB, and access to all the various clubs so you can do tests like this whenever you want.

It is our job, that is what we do. :comp:

I would like thank this thread for making me question my M1. I just have to make time to get to the range and see what my distances are with the 15.5 hybrid.

Since this thread opened, I have tried the FL a few times. I really like how the ball jumps off of the club's face. I keep coming back to the F11 because of the accuracy with it. I just need to hit that range and spend some time with the Mashie.

You too huh? heehhehehe

JUst when I thought I was about done with looking for new clubs.

You too huh? heehhehehe

JUst when I thought I was about done with looking for new clubs.

I really like the M1's accuracy and ease of us. I just need to if the distance is there. As long as I hit it farther than my 4wood, by any amount, it will stay in the bag.

I really like the M1's accuracy and ease of us. I just need to if the distance is there. As long as I hit it farther than my 4wood, by any amount, it will stay in the bag.

You are one up on me.. While I can hit the M3 & M5 with great consistancy, I just can't get that with the M1. Maybe 3-4 out of 10 shots go well. I would honestly rather keep the M1 cause I believe a hybrid is a more versatile club to me than a 4W, but I might need to put it in a time out!

Has anybody hit a titanium fairway wood? I am curious if the performance jsutifies the price. JB you said that the Exotics was good, but not the longest off the tee. Is that common for a titanium fairway?

Has anybody hit a titanium fairway wood? I am curious if the performance jsutifies the price. JB you said that the Exotics was good, but not the longest off the tee. Is that common for a titanium fairway?

I dont think there is a common thing here. I know many feel as though Titanium is the longest.

I dont think there is a common thing here. I know many feel as though Titanium is the longest.

I don't know if this is the place to discuss this, but is a titanium option worth the extra $100? That is basically what I'm asking. I know that I have been happy with steel and never gave it a second thought. I probably just answered my own question.

I don't know if this is the place to discuss this, but is a titanium option worth the extra $100? That is basically what I'm asking. I know that I have been happy with steel and never gave it a second thought. I probably just answered my own question.

I guess it depends on the person. If the results are there, then I would say yes.

I guess it depends on the person. If the results are there, then I would say yes.

But in your comparisons, it wasn't the case?

Back