What do you consider a good score?

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I like to browse through the "What did you shoot today?" thread and it kind of leaves me curious about something. I am wondering for each of you personally what you consider a "Good score" for yourself. I notice some people shooting to their handicap and being down about it and others shooting well above their cap and being happy about it. I quite often have rounds that leave me with mixed feelings and I'm wondering where everyone stands. Is it purely based on score? Is it based on ball-striking? Overall feeling after the round? Fairways and greens?
For me, a good score is one which has no more than a 6 on the scorecard and one in which my worst score on par 3's is a 3 or a 4. I'm OK with a double or two as long as there are some birdies to offset them. If I shoot to my cap or better (85 or so) I'm extremely happy with the round no matter how it went down and if I shoot 91 or more I'm usually a little bummed. Am I too easily satisfied?
What are your thoughts?

A good scorecard for me would be no doubles and not leaving too many shots out there from chunked chips, penalty strokes, or putts I should have made.

Number wise, anything in the 70's or low 80's I am happy with. Once I go over 85, my enthusiasm dwindles. Now, obviously some 85's are better than others dependent on difficulty of course, conditions, etc.

For me a good score is 85 or less although I'm starting to think anything under 90 is pretty good for me at our new course.

I'm usually satisfied with anything under 85. If I shoot an 82, I'm excited, and breaking 80 is great for me.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Like everything else in golf, it depends.

My home course is rated as very easy. Too easy, in the eyes of the members, but that's not relevant. I play there, I want to be shooting right around 82-83 (and in the 70s if I want a single digit). 84-85 is a day of golf, a couple strokes over the handicap. That's the common sort of score. I hit 90, I have things to work on.

If I go to some tricked out 7300y course with funhouse greens and a 140 slope, I'm going to move those up. My feelings still pretty much depend on how I did relative to handicap, but the raw score's going to be different. I could shoot 90 there and be totally happy with it.

80 or below is a good score for me. I can have my irons working hit greens all day and love it and have my putter be stone cold and come out with an 87 but still feel good about the round.

For me it really depends on how much time I have to devote to my game. I've been back and forth with that since high school...including a 5 year period of no play. Pre-break, anything more than +1 and I would find a way to be down about it. After returning last year, with a lot of hard work to [try to] get my game back, +3 and under made me happy. Now I haven't played since last August, so, I'd say 80 or better wouldn't leave me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Better than 82 or 83.

For me a good score is 85 or less although I'm starting to think anything under 90 is pretty good for me at our new course.

Anything under 100 at our new course is good for me :D! Seriously, although I do love to score well, if I strike the ball well, I enjoy the round in spite of an off scoring day. Yesterday I started out horrible and got it going pretty well by the 4th hole and it got better as the round progressed. I've shot some pretty good scores in my golfing career, with less than best ball striking. I can take the high scores without being depressed, if I hit the ball solid all day. i like the feel of a well struck golf shot and if I score well, it's icing on the cake for me.

Anything under 90. I would say 85 or so depending in where I'm playing

This early in the season anything under triple digits is a good round.

It really depends on how the rounds go. I can shoot a bad 83 but feel like I plays better and shoot an 86. Last year I was in the low 80's so anything around 84 or below I'm happy with

As a 16 handicap and a golfer of 11 months, I try to look at it as levels of improving.

Having passed the stage of breaking 100 regularly, I'm now at the stage of trying to break 90 regularly. I think I've now done that as I'm disappointed at anything in the 90s, unless of course its wet and I'm hitting irons off of pudding every hole.

So now, high 80s is fine for me as it's usually caused by as mentioned above, shots being left on the course through duffed chips. Anything else means I'm getting more consistent.

Hope that gives you an idea of how I decide what is a good score.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I am at the point now where anything over and 80 makes me nuts.

I have only broken 100 once, so anything under that is a good round for me right now. I need to start consistently shooting in the 90s before I up my expectations.

For me 87-89 is a great score. If I shoot 90-94 it's mediocre and I'm not thrilled but it happens. Anything over than that I feel like I played like crap.

With the state of my game right now, anything 95 or under and I'm happy. If I could avoid those two blow up holes, It would be anything in the 80's. I just can't seem to avoid getting in trouble on a couple holes and not being able to recover.

77-79 for me. I should normally break 80 but is like for that number to get down in the lower 70s. If I shoot in the 80s I'm upset

Best last summer was 92 worst 107 so this yr. i hope to break 90 love to be shooting in the 90's or better ??

To me right now a good score is any number less than I shot last time out, I am happy to see improvement in my game.

For me, I would say anything under 90 is a good score, but if I start playing regularly I would like to think I can get close to 80

At the end of the day, just being able to play golf with friends is what it is all about, and if a good score comes along with it then that is even better in my eyes

Like others have said I think it depends on the course and the conditions. I'm always looking/hoping to shoot my HC or better. Obviously it doesn't always happen but that is my goal. Also I focus on GIRs since my putting has been dragging my scores down. If I can hit a good number of GIRs I know I was hitting the ball well.

To shoot my handicap is great, within 4 is ok. Less is disappointing. Better than handicap is excellent. Congu (UK) handicaps are supposed to be indicative of what you are capable of shooting, rather than what you are shooting. Slightly different from the US systems I believe.

Anything at or better than whatever my handicap is.

For me, anything in the mid 80s or lower I'm happy with. I base most of my rounds on how my ball striking was because I know putting isn't my strong point, so I figure if I have 36 putts per round that's pretty good for me.

Back