Different Putters for Various Skill Levels?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
There has always been a pretty big disparity between player irons and game improvement irons, where most tend to suggest the less skilled players should flock to the latter.

Do you think that applies to putters as well? Is there a gap between blades and full mallets on talent? How about inserts that promote roll better? Alignment aids like RST or Versa as opposed to single dot lines? Standard grips vs oversized like SuperStroke 3.0s etc?

Do you think the age old argument "play what feels right/best to you" fit better in the putter realm?

If you really wanted to make putting as easy as possible, beginners should use an anchored putter with RST. That would give them the most advantages.

I think it can be both. Find what works for you both visually and that gives you the best numbers. If you can roll it with an 8802 style putter, awesome. If it's a Ping Craze, awesome.

But stick with it until you find something that's better!

I think something that fits your stroke is probably more important than a ton of alignment aids or really high MOI numbers.

I think blade putters are very different than blade irons when it comes to working for amateurs. Lot easier to hit the sweetspot with a putting stroke than a full swing.

i think a lot of those things can help especially the RST for people that struggle with putting. i've been all over the map the past year with so many different models and shapes and alignment aids. right now i'm rolling a blade with a very small line on the top line of the blade better than i've rolled anything else in quite a while. but at the end of the day i still think putters come down to what you roll well style wise as long as you are fit to the specs of that putter and alignment aids and inserts all come down to personal preference.

There has always been a pretty big disparity between player irons and game improvement irons, where most tend to suggest the less skilled players should flock to the latter.

Do you think that applies to putters as well? Is there a gap between blades and full mallets on talent? How about inserts that promote roll better? Alignment aids like RST or Versa as opposed to single dot lines? Standard grips vs oversized like SuperStroke 3.0s etc?

Do you think the age old argument "play what feels right/best to you" fit better in the putter realm?

Find a putter that looks good and feels good and then have the RST behind it. You have to be confident in the look and feel of the putter and then have the ability to set up the same way every single time for every single stroke. The key here is same, consistent - this is what the RST gives you. If you can have the same starting point every single time you will begin to know your good putters from your not-so-good putts. This is how you will become a more consistent and better putter.

I think there are some putters out there that are not for everyone. A lot of older and even some newer blade putters have to be hit on the sweet spot each and every time in order for the ball to roll straight and true. On the other hand there are lots of putters out there that are very forgiving on these miss hits.

Find a putter that looks good and feels good and then have the RST behind it. You have to be confident in the look and feel of the putter and then have the ability to set up the same way every single time for every single stroke. The key here is same, consistent - this is what the RST gives you. If you can have the same starting point every single time you will begin to know your good putters from your not-so-good putts. This is how you will become a more consistent and better putter.

Great topic Dan, and great posts here. I think you have to feel confident over your putter. That means something different for everyone.

I think that it is so personal, that it's hard to argue one way or the other. I have tried many times to play a traditional blade, but I just can't get my alignment right. I've always felt much more comfortable with a mid-mallet or a big mallet.

I think this is the key, If you play what's best for you, or fit for you, it will not only feel right but perform as well. Putting is one of those things that feel plays more of a part than any other piece of equipment.

I've always struggled with blade style putters, so I used mallets. That was before SeeMore and the RST. Now I putt better with my m1 than I do with my old mallets.

Good topic. I've been wondering about this myself. I keep seeing different styles of Shaft? Hosel? I don't know what the technical name is for it but I'm talking about things like center shaft, plumbers neck and other stuff and have no idea what these different styles do. Are they designed to make it easier like offset irons or is it just personal preference?

I had a blade, but then changed to a mallet style, and I prefer the look of the mallet but I was never very consistent with my putting with either if I am honest - at my fitting last week I had a brief chat about putters and the fitter told me my putter was the wrong length

He adjusted my stance and grip very slightly to simulate a different length and it took me a couple of holes when I played on Friday, but once I got used to it, I was sinking a lot more putts than I ever used to in the past, so I would say it is a combination of finding something that suits your eye, but also fitted like every other club in the bag

It all boils down to fitting, same as everything else.

Fitting and personal feel - always been the same with the putter. What suites one person is quite often hated by another especially in the flat stick domain.

I believe all the comments above are right.... Its all well and good to have a slick looking putter that you love the look of, but it has to have the technology behind it to suit your style.

I've putted with many different styles and makes of putter, all of them with pretty reasonable results, but just recently switched to a SeeMore FGP and I believe it was the addition of the RST technology (of which none of my other putters had) that helped me really start nailing putts.

Looks + Technology = 1 Putts!!!!!

The act of putting is quite simple in its procedure. Back and through....finding a putter that fits your stroke is key. I don't think there are beginner or advanced putters. If the arms hang directly under the shoulders and those shoulders make the stroke, it's a matter of finding a putter that fits your arc.
I know some say they have a straight back and strict through stroke, this could be true. If that's the case you need to find a putter hat fits that stroke. The key would be proper fitting.

I think you need to find out what type of putter works best with your stroke. This includes hosel and toe hang etc. once you find that out just pick a head that appeals to you

This sounds even harder than getting fitted for other clubs, especially for a beginner. I could roll 10 different putters in the store and probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in any of them, except in the looks department. That's how I picked my putter. I just found one in my price range with the look that appealed to me. I have no clue if a different style would work better or not.

IMO, the bigger mallet putters are better for players of lower skill levels because they are easier to aim and are more forgiving when you miss the center of the face.

I'm going to agree on fitting.....to an extent. I do think a fitting can get you set up with the right type of putter for your setup and stroke but you do need to leave some room in there for feel and looks as you putt. If you don't feel good with the putter you have in hand then your not going to make many putts.

I'm going to agree on fitting.....to an extent. I do think a fitting can get you set up with the right type of putter for your setup and stroke but you do need to leave some room in there for feel and looks as you putt. If you don't feel good with the putter you have in hand then your not going to make many putts.

You also could buy close to 50 putters all shapes and sizes models and lengths lofts and lies and roll them all till you find maybe 20 that work for you decent then rotate those ones through!

It really is different strokes for different folks as they say. We have guys on here that putt very well with blades that might be 10+ HCPs and you have guys on tour using big mallets and they are the best of the best. I just dont think that putting works the same as the full swing

You also could buy close to 50 putters all shapes and sizes models and lengths lofts and lies and roll them all till you find maybe 20 that work for you decent then rotate those ones through!

Ah yes, the Jman method.

I suck, yet I putt best with a small blade with no alignment aid. So I say just use what you feel comfortable with.

Back