Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I knew someone was going throw out the 3i. Shame on you JP.:act-up: Now I have to at least hit one. I think I am doing all I can to handle the 4i, but of course I am going to swing the 3 at some point. No hurries however...thank goodness.

I knew someone was going throw out the 3i. Shame on you JP.:act-up: Now I have to at least hit one. I think I am doing all I can to handle the 4i, but of course I am going to swing the 3 at some point. No hurries however...thank goodness.

Keith, what shafts are you sporting with these?

Rocking the CFS regular shafts in these PMOA.

Yellow/Green with 1/2" over makes you sound pretty tall. Hard to understand how they'd have recommended 1.5". Good to hear they're stepping up and taking care of you.

6'6" but I have arms like an orangutan.

SeeMore,

It's funny you say this because it's one of the things I noticed from my first range session. The CFS shafts seem to explode into the ball when your tempo is really smooth. I hit five or six 4 irons and what I thought was about 70% speed and was shocked at how far the ball went.

That's not to say that the CFS shafts don't like to be overloaded but they do seem to give a lot more ooomph to a smooth swing.

Edit:

Just got back from a night session at the range. I had a hell of a time making good contact under the lights because the lighting in the grass hitting area makes depth perception a bit iffy. Moved over to the mats and hit the ball a LOT better. One thing I notice that seems a bit odd to me. When I miss I seem to be missing on the toe. With my prior set my misses tended to be on the heel. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited:
SeeMore,

It's funny you say this because it's one of the things I noticed from my first range session. The CFS shafts seem to explode into the ball when your tempo is really smooth. I hit five or six 4 irons and what I thought was about 70% speed and was shocked at how far the ball went.

That's not to say that the CFS shafts don't like to be overloaded but they do seem to give a lot more ooomph to a smooth swing.

Edit:

Just got back from a night session at the range. I had a hell of a time making good contact under the lights because the lighting in the grass hitting area makes depth perception a bit iffy. Moved over to the mats and hit the ball a LOT better. One thing I notice that seems a bit odd to me. When I miss I seem to be missing on the toe. With my prior set my misses tended to be on the heel. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes, I've actually noticed that. With my Cally x20's I'd miss on the heel. And I do prefer the toe misses as the i20's seem to be very forgiving on the toe.

SeeMore,

Edit:

It's true. The CFS is easy to load and unload. If I really try to step on one with my CFS S hard stepped then I can feel it getting a tad loose but isn't detrimental to the shot. On those kinds of shots in my follow through the shaft almost feels like a heavy duty car antenna wobbling around on my shoulder. Very strange feeling but even though it feels like it should be spraying balls all over the place when I swing like that it still holds a tight pattern. ...weird

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Guess whose paying to get a grip save done on his 588's and moving his Secret Grips to the i20's. I'll give y'all three guesses and the first two don't count.

Just absolutely HAVE to get these back out on the course. Had a great honeymoon period with the 588's and they are good sticks but the i20's just make me play with more dare I say, "Swagga".

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

SeeMore,

Edit:

You have to be carefull at this stage in your honeymoon with the I20's. The same thing is happening to me now. I hit so many good shots with a nice smooth swing. The ball goes far with little effort. Then you play a round with a guy that just kills the ball so you start to think if I can hit the ball far with little effort, just think what I can do with more power.My swing is screwed up now. I am swinging too hard and have to re-learn to slow down. I am even thinking about changing my shafts to compensate a harder swing.

I am not B.S ing here when I say I stumbled on to a great iron and sometimes it amazes me that I am hitting them this good. I feel like I haven't "put my time in" for my good swings because I am hitting way more good shots than I ever had. I need to just settle down and give myself a little credit and the irons a lot of credit and come toterms that I jumped from a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari and just enjoy the ride. I hope this makes some sense here.

There is no such thing as a "honeymoon" with the i20's, they are just awesome from start to finish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no such thing as a "honeymoon" with the i20's, they are just awesome from start to finish!

So true, even with my swings flaws, the i20's minimize the damage. I am more confident over the ball than I have ever been. If I can only find a driver that gives me the same confidence

formerly butters35

So here's an interesting development I discovered today. My Ping's are a full inch shorter than my KZG's. At first, i was thinking their was either a mistake with the fitting or they were built wrong. I took them down to the local GG to compare them to the standard and they're actually the same length. Now I'm all confused. So I go out to the car and grabbed my old KZG 5 iron which is still banging around the trunk and it's a full inch longer than everything in the store.

Now I'm thinking I've been playing irons that were an inch to long for almost 15 years. No wonder I'm hitting my new irons on the toe!

Last edited:
Hahaha, that would be quite the difference Bogey!

Dr. Teeth told me yesterday as we were walking down the fairway that he honestly felt the i20 irons were ones he didn't see changing for the next 10​ years. I thought that was a huge testament to how good they are. I saw him hit some freaking awesome shots with the i20s that had just a beautiful little baby draw on them. I didn't take any swings with his because I was trying to figure out my own brand new irons, but darn if he didn't hit those things well almost every single time.

B, I can't lie, irons like the 588's, DPC's, and CMB's catch my eye...but I'm much the same in that I have no urge to change. In fact, I'd be asinine to do so with where my game has gone. I've got this level of oblivious confidence at address with my i20's, it's a wonderful feeling.

B, I can't lie, irons like the 588's, DPC's, and CMB's catch my eye...but I'm much the same in that I have no urge to change. In fact, I'd be asinine to do so with where my game has gone. I've got this level of oblivious confidence at address with my i20's, it's a wonderful feeling.

Exactly the thoughts we talked about. I think it's great that SO many people have found these to be game changers.

Jman, what was your handicap with the irons you had before the i20's? What do you think is the biggest difference between the two? I am sure your scores have gone down since you switched to the i20's, but what area do you think it helped you the most? And please don't say putting.:act-up:

Jman, what was your handicap with the irons you had before the i20's? What do you think is the biggest difference between the two? I am sure your scores have gone down since you switched to the i20's, but what area do you think it helped you the most? And please don't say putting.:act-up:

Skimmer! Hehe...I think I touched on this in all my reviews....hehehe.

I kid!

Seriously though, I came from 2.0's and J40 DPC's both with C-Tapers in them. When testing began I was about a 10 or so handicap. As of right now according to my sky golf tracking I'm actually right about a 5 now. The biggest note is I averaged about 5 GIR's going in and now it is at 10.2 GIR's per round. If you put me 180 in with an i20 in my hand I genuinely believe I WILL hit the green.

The biggest benefit to the i20's for me has been overall confidence I get at address and the toe forgiveness as that's my main miss. Add to that I get the best of both worlds from the previous two sets, the i20's are just as long as the 2.0's were for me (1 club longer than DPC's even though I had the lofts bent strong on those to match the 2.0's) and just as accurate as the DPC's (much more accurate than the 2.0's). The fact is there is a TON of tech crammed in the i20's and it all works together flawlessly for me.

I honest to goodness believe there is not another set as good for me or as confidence inspiring for me as these are. Not a single one.

Dr. Teeth told me yesterday as we were walking down the fairway that he honestly felt the i20 irons were ones he didn't see changing for the next 10​ years. I thought that was a huge testament to how good they are. I saw him hit some freaking awesome shots with the i20s that had just a beautiful little baby draw on them. I didn't take any swings with his because I was trying to figure out my own brand new irons, but darn if he didn't hit those things well almost every single time.

I meant it too! I have seen nothing out of these that makes me think I would want anything different. These provide a great combo of precision and forgiveness. I had a rough start of our round (had more to do with getting there as our guys were teeing off). But the first hike was a par 5 that I knew I wasn't going for in two anyways. So I grabbed my 4 iron and hit one right down the middle. Next shot another solid 4 iron. I was very pleased with these sticks. I am also amazed at how much different the ones that fit me better have been. I really do see these bent in my bag for a really long time. Like I told Brooks, 10 years or more.

I'll believe that when I see it Doc! You are a THP'er afterall. We don't keep anything in our bags for a long time, LOL

I meant it too! I have seen nothing out of these that makes me think I would want anything different. These provide a great combo of precision and forgiveness. I had a rough start of our round (had more to do with getting there as our guys were teeing off). But the first hike was a par 5 that I knew I wasn't going for in two anyways. So I grabbed my 4 iron and hit one right down the middle. Next shot another solid 4 iron. I was very pleased with these sticks. I am also amazed at how much different the ones that fit me better have been. I really do see these bent in my bag for a really long time. Like I told Brooks, 10 years or more.

Dude steps up to the tee with a 4 iron after running to the tee box and proceeds to stripe a 4 iron past my first drive of the day.......damnit! :banghead:

I'll believe that when I see it Doc! You are a THP'er afterall. We don't keep anything in our bags for a long time, LOL

Haha. I know I have been a bit of a ho this past year, but I am a commuted man in my heart. I feel like I have sown my wild oats and now I am ready to settle down. :) I had my previous set (before my MCs) for 10 years, so that is my bench mark.

You know what? I understand what you're talking about with these irons. I feel similar. Well, at least until the i25's come out :p

You know what? I understand what you're talking about with these irons. I feel similar. Well, at least until the i25's come out :p

With the wait I had to go through for these irons, I was almost expecting the i25s to come out before I ever got to hit my i20s. I prefer even numbers anyways :)

I'm with the Doc on this, I don't see myself even considering changing irons for many years. I am the type of player that likes to find clubs and stick with them and develop a solid relationship and trust in them...I gained this trust very early on with the i20's, but I can't even fathom there being anything better, or more tailor made for me and my normal misses. With this in mind, regardless of me not being the standard THP club ho, I plan to have my i20's in the bag for many years...it would take a damn amazing iron to make me want to change.

Back