Shaft companies - One Word - 2016 Edition

I don't have enough shaft education to provide any decent input.. I shouldn't have even typed this honestly

You've got more educating on them than you know, especially after your ECPC fitting. Take a bit and write it down.

It's amazing to me some of the answers on these shaft companies where there are question marks or blanks, esp. the ones that have held multiple outings and events here on THP over the last few months. Guess they were just missed. :confused2:

It's amazing to me some of the answers on these shaft companies where there are question marks or blanks, esp. the ones that have held multiple outings and events here on THP over the last few months. Guess they were just missed. :confused2:

We all THP differently. Some don't venture out of the typical threads (and some don't venture out of the OT threads haha!).

Continued exposure is obviously going to change that. One or two more years as a stock option is going to change that... Although I think for companies like UST, those who are selecting ?? for them probably know the recoil shaft well.

We all THP differently. Some don't venture out of the typical threads (and some don't venture out of the OT threads haha!).

Continued exposure is obviously going to change that. One or two more years as a stock option is going to change that... Although I think for companies like UST, those who are selecting ?? for them probably know the recoil shaft well.

I know Dan. But they venture out to find this shaft thread so it's just curious to me what goes into the thinking of "I'll go in this thread but not that one". Marketing? The way a thread is worded? Timing? Many factors I know.

I know Dan. But they venture out to find this shaft thread so it's just curious to me what goes into the thinking of "I'll go in this thread but not that one". Marketing? The way a thread is worded? Timing? Many factors I know.

Like I mentioned, I think it has a lot to do with how visible the brand is. Companies like Matrix don't have "BLACK TIE" down the shaft, they have "MATRIX" and I really do think that makes a difference for the non-researching golfer.

I bet a bunch of people know the ad-di shaft well from the orange and white shaft design, but you'd struggle to get any actual knowledge on Graphite Design from them (or have them even correlate)

Like I mentioned, I think it has a lot to do with how visible the brand is. Companies like Matrix don't have "BLACK TIE" down the shaft, they have "MATRIX" and I really do think that makes a difference for the non-researching golfer.

You might be right.
Although the latest THP Classroom sessions make me think otherwise. Shafts are one of those things that everybody wants education and information on, until its presented. :D

You might be right.
Although the latest THP Classroom sessions make me think otherwise. Shafts are one of those things that everybody wants education and information on, until its presented. :D

The Matrix video series right now has a chance to give people a lot of that education and answer some of those questions they definitely didn't know how that worked.

Exhibit A: who knew graphite shafts started as a rope of carbon fiber?

KBS - feel
Nippon - light
Oban - expensive
Matrix - fitting
Project X - handcrafted
Mitsubishi - Diamana
UST Mamiya - recoil
Graphite Design - Tiger
True Temper - steel
Aldila - issues
Fujikura - Speeder
Aerotech - mine

I bet a bunch of people know the ad-di shaft well from the orange and white shaft design, but you'd struggle to get any actual knowledge on Graphite Design from them (or have them even correlate)

Shafts aren't sexy, I get it. Probably explains why in almost 24 hrs. time only 7 have signed up for the UST event in May. Believe me, I know many of us THP'ers can't hit every thread here, I don't. There's just some irony I guess in seeing it first hand in a thread like this.

KBS - irons
Nippon - light
Oban - costly
Matrix - 47"
Project X - custom
Mitsubishi - diamana
UST Mamiya - Nickent
Graphite Design - tour
True Temper - standard
Aldila - value
Fujikura - speeder
Aerotech - fiber

KBS - Red
Nippon - Modus
Oban - Kiyoshi
Matrix - OZIK
Project X - STIFF
Mitsubishi - diamana
UST Mamiya - Lacking
Graphite Design - pricey
True Temper - everywhere
Aldila - RIP
Fujikura - speeder
Aerotech - Graphite

The Matrix video series right now has a chance to give people a lot of that education and answer some of those questions they definitely didn't know how that worked.

Exhibit A: who knew graphite shafts started as a rope of carbon fiber?

While education on how a shaft is built or designed is huge for understand why a shaft does what it does, this thread asks for one word that comes to mind for each company. For me, only way a word would stand out to me is if I have personally hit a selection from each. Lucky for me, I am huge club ho and like trying out different clubs and set ups. Some people don't like tinkering and prescribe to "if it ain't broke…". Either way, I really like this thread and the other similar thread. Fun to see what everyone thinks about each.

While education on how a shaft is built or designed is huge for understand why a shaft does what it does, this thread asks for one word that comes to mind for each company. For me, only way a word would stand out to me is if I have personally hit a selection from each. Lucky for me, I am huge club ho and like trying out different clubs and set ups. Some people don't like tinkering and prescribe to "if it ain't broke…". Either way, I really like this thread and the other similar thread. Fun to see what everyone thinks about each.

Interesting. I would think a word comes to mind for most brands, whether people try them or not, based on appearance, perception, etc. For instance most would consider the TPHD line from Matrix ridiculously priced and say so, without trying it. Because its crazy expensive. My thought is that these are/should be all about brand perception and what pops into the mind.

Just my opinion though and people can of course use THP any way they would like to.

KBS - Great
Nippon - niche
Oban - Devotion
Matrix - videos
Project X - HZRDUS
Mitsubishi - diamana
UST Mamiya - DannyEFFINGLe (yes that is one word, and it is SPECTACULAR)
Graphite Design - hybrids
True Temper - MVP
Aldila - Green!!!!
Fujikura - launch
Aerotech - steelfibers

Interesting. I would think a word comes to mind for most brands, whether people try them or not, based on appearance, perception, etc. For instance most would consider the TPHD line from Matrix ridiculously priced and say so, without trying it. Because its crazy expensive. My thought is that these are/should be all about brand perception and what pops into the mind.

Just my opinion though and people can of course use THP any way they would like to.

I think the response to Oban is a reflection of that. Many comments regarding the price and that doesn't surprise me for a second considering you don't hear much about them beyond custom offerings and a very generous nod at the Grandaddy!

Keep them coming guys.

KBS - Stagnant
Nippon - Modus
Oban - Devotion
Matrix - OZIC
Project X - HANDCRAFTED
Mitsubishi - Kage
UST Mamiya - Graphite
Graphite Design - AD-DI
True Temper - Legacy
Aldila - Rogue
Fujikura - Speeder
Aerotech - Fibers

KBS - upgrade
Nippon - Japan
Oban - expensive
Matrix - tie
Project X - flex?
Mitsubishi - board
UST Mamiya - recoil!
Graphite Design - tour
True Temper - classic
Aldila - eh
Fujikura - speeder
Aerotech - huh

KBS - Popular
Nippon - reliable
Oban - ?
Matrix - solid
Project X - favorite
Mitsubishi - Motors
UST Mamiya - solid
Graphite Design - eh
True Temper - trustworthy
Aldila - indifferent
Fujikura - driver
Aerotech - unsure

KBS - harsh
Nippon - light
Oban - meh
Matrix - high
Project X - smooooooottthhhhh
Mitsubishi - stiff
UST Mamiya - Recoil
Graphite Design - busy
True Temper - standard
Aldila - OEM
Fujikura - Speeder
Aerotech - metal

KBS - feel
Nippon - modus
Oban - kick
Matrix - program!
Project X - hzrdus
Mitsubishi - "board"
UST Mamiya - recoil
Graphite Design - orange
True Temper - irons
Aldila - rogue
Fujikura - stout
Aerotech - stiff

KBS - whip
Nippon - soft
Oban - smooth
Matrix - lime
Project X - avoid
Mitsubishi - smooth
UST Mamiya - feel
Graphite Design - exotic
True Temper - harsh
Aldila - rogue
Fujikura - speeder
Aerotech - high

Thanks to everybody that took the time to have some fun with this one. Much appreciated.

Back