The closest 'almost' Hole in One ever!!!

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I just want to share an extraordinary shot that I witnessed last week.

Based on a comment of another thread, some of you might remember I played in an ambrose competition last week with 3 very good single markers.
2403.gif
There were the usual prizes on offer including one for the closest to the pin on a par 3. Anyway, the 4 of us arrived at that par 3.

I went second last on this hole & put my shot next to the green. My playing partner went next. He hit his iron shot perfectly. The green was downhill from the pin. The shot just covered the pin the whole way. Then it started to drop like a stone.

One of the guys with me said, "This'll be close". Well that was an understatement.

The ball dropped almost vertically when it was over the hole & landed exactly on top of the pin. Yes, it landed on the point of the flag pole!!!
497.gif

If it had gone an inch further in distance, it might have hit the green & spun back into the hole. No, not on this occasion. It made a loud noise from the impact & bounced left and rolled to the edge of the green.

All of our jaws hit the ground. We couldn't believe how such a perfect shot could have such little reward.
1892.gif

Oh well, that's the nature of the game we play. Do you have any similar stories?

I have only seen one crazy shot and it was pretty amazing. We were just playing a local course and there was a hold up in the fairway in front us. The group behind us was playing a short, 140 yard par 3, and while we were waiting we were just watching them tee off. One goes left, one goes right, one is dreadfully short but the last was simply amazing. The ball hit the back of the cup with such force that it left a massive ballmark on the lip and actually spun back OVER the hole. It should have been a hole in one and I felt so bad for the dude. Crazy that it happened 15 ft from me...

On the last hole of my pennant match (senior pennants Division 1 final) I was one up. My second shot into the par-4 18th at Brisbane Golf Club hit the pin dead centre and ricochet into the front bunker. The 18th green is well above the level of the fairway so a ball on the green can't be seen from the fairway. We heard it hit the flag stick so I assumed it would be close. It was a kick in the guts to find it in the bunker. It was a nervous five footer to save par and win the match. We won the pennant 3&2.

Crazy that it happened 15 ft from me...

And I thought some of the courses around here have tee boxes too close to the greens! And 15 feet? Them are some small greens! Hehehehe
539.gif

well, I was actually sitting at the bench between the tee box and the green. but yes, there isnt exactly much room between tee/green. course is pretty tight in that sense

My closest almost birdie was a tee shot on a par 3 that landed just off the green. My birdie chip hit the stick and caromed off into the greenside bunker. Bogie. Ever since, I've insisted that the flag come out when I'm in the fringe or just off it.

Ever since, I've insisted that the flag come out when I'm in the fringe or just off it.

Sounds like an idea for a thread to me: Leave it in or take it out?

Let me guess....the ball was caught between the flag and the hole with part of the ball above the hole and he removed it instead of letting it hit the bottom of the cup?

I played in an all-american junior tour event a few weeks ago. i turned in some pitiful scores, 78-79=157. but one of my teammates from school was also playing and he was the overnight leader after the first round with a -1, 70. He ended up being in a playoff for first after the second round cuz he shot 75. he said he could have been lower but he missed some putts here and there. anyways, he went into a playoff on first hole of the course, which is an easy par 4. he hit his drive right down the middle, with a pitching wedge in. the other guy hit his drive way right into the trees and had about 200 in. my friend thought he had it in the bag so he was confident. the other guy hits his shot, it ricochets off of like 3 or 4 trees, bounces 1 time in front of the green and goes in for eagle to win the playoff. it was one of those once in a lifetime shots. fun to watch, but i felt so bad for my friend cuz he played so well.

Wow, AK! Tough break for your buddy. It will be his turn soon enough.

Back