What type of golf course scares you the most?

What type of golf course scares you the most?

• Total voters

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
Curious to see what type of course freaks the THP'ers out the most? Is it the long track? The one with undulated greens and fairways? The ones that snake their way through the trees? Others?

For me, it is far and away the tight courses. There aren't many courses I can't overpower...I've never found one to date. Rolling greens and fairways aren't my favorite, but I can get by just fine on them. However, when you put me on a tight course off the tee, it tends to get to my head pretty quickly :bulgy-eyes:.

There is one course in particular that stands out to me. It is an ex-private, now public, course that I am playing Sunday (and have played a few other times this year). Somehow it always seems to have my number. It's not overly long, the greens are quick but manageable, and there are some penalizing holes with hazards out there...but IT IS TIGHT, and it always seems to bite me in the arse off the tee. I've turned some really good rounds into mediocre rounds when the driver goes south on me here, and I am still trying to figure out what gameplan will get me by.

Poll incoming.

Wide open courses where there is no trees around and no back drop

Tight for sure, that's strategy golf. I don't hate strategy golf but I get intimidated by tight fairways.

Tight courses scare me the most for sure since they require precise tee shots and the most strategy, IMO.

Tight for sure, that's strategy golf. I don't hate strategy golf but I get intimidated by tight fairways.

I like it into greens, not off the tee though. I've gotten smarter off the tee by taking 4 iron any time a hole is under 400 yards and tight, but still, the game changes completely for me when I can't overpower a hole with a driver off the tee.

If a course is fairly open off the tee, there is no reason I should ever shoot over par.

Tight courses for me. If I'm having a bad driving day on a tight course I'm looking at mid 80s compared to the 70s on something like say a links style and such.

Tight for me. My game just is not ready for courses that demand preciseness on every shot.

I probably should have gone with tight, but forced carries really mess with me. I was plagued by topping the ball for so long that it still gets in my head.

Also, courses like the Donald Ross course in French Lick, IN. Somehow, every approach shot seems to be uphill, and even in the fairway there are few flat lies to be found.

Ones that have tons of water on them. Most of my courses at home just don't have a lot of it so I'm not used to seeing it and having to account for it

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Tight courses for sure. I'm like you, if the landing areas off the tee aren't forgiving I'm in for a world of hurt. I can normally avoid water and bunkers pretty well, and I will do just fine with tough greens, but I am screwed with tight fairways.

Tight courses with lots of trees lining the fairways . Hard to make pars from the trees..Some times i play a fairly short course which should be fairly easy , But with those dang trees it eats my lunch .

With my accuracy as bad as it is, a tight course is a no no for me!!!

Tight courses irritate me more than scare me, it's a given I'm going to go astray somewhere during the round.
What scares me are courses with lots of sloping fairways leading to downhill/sidehill lies. I don't know WHAT'S going to happen on any given shot.

Elevated greens... There's one near me where all 18 are elevated with nasty on all sides if you run off. They don't have one single bunker... I think they left them out to avoid unnecessary cruelty.

Yeah the tight fairways scare me. If I would just hit an iron off the tee it wouldn't be so bad. Where's the fun in that????

The really long courses with undulating greens. The Distance kills me.

Undulated by far. Long I can handle just fine, and tight I can handle just fine. But I hate hitting a fairway only to get a tough lie or see it roll into the rough. Gets in my head.

i picked long. because i hate slow golf and the longer they are the more shots the guy in front of me is gonna have to take!

Long mostly cause I'm a short hitter. I also HATE long heather grass.

I said long because I have old farts knees and hips in a late middle aged farts body

gotta be the tight courses, even on my best days sometimes I couldn't hit some fairways

Tight, hands down. They just don't play nicely with someone that likes to spray the ball over the map at times.

I voted for a tight course because my game off the tee is inconsistent at best. I wasn't sure but would "windy course" fall under the "other" category? I guess on any given day a "windy course" can be calm, see the first 3 rounds of this years British Open. But, if that is an option I'd go with that. Wind always seems to make me over-think and that's never good for me :dohanim:

Back