urielsatchmoortegaMR.Jinx
Reaction score
Handicap
MR. Jinx
New Updated Review

Red Hawk Golf Club Review
Uriel Ortega

7990449873_4cf0f4bfb0.jpg

Red Hawk Golf Club is the newest golf course in the Las Cruces Area. It was designed by Ken Dye who has designed many well known golf projects around the world. The course covers 200 acres in the natural desert of Southern New Mexico and it features link-style golf designs such as deep rough, large greens and enormous sand traps and water hazards. The course specifically has 5 lakes, 76 bunkers, and the surrounding desert plant life serves as more danger due to the tall rough. Although the course has large open fairways, play can become rather difficult rapidly.The course also features a nice restaurant and full service bar
Spoiler

Typical Deep Rough that surrounds the course
7990448748_b0dc34d375.jpg

One of the 76 bunkers that make playing this course difficult
7990442477_ef547e6fb7.jpg

Large Greens like this are typical of this course.
7990444417_1722f557b8.jpg

Practice Facilities

The course also features a spectacular practice facility complete with short game and bunker practice greens, oversize putting greens, and a range which makes it a great place to practice.

Pricing for Practice Balls:
$4 Small Bucket
$7 Large Bucket
Spoiler

View Of Club house and practice greens.
7990406909_7413bfb30f.jpg

Short Game practice Area with the Organ Mountains in the Background
7990465208_31dbcef5e3.jpg

One of the Massive Putting Greens
7990467502_476bd4fbc4.jpg

Another Putting Green with the beautiful desert behind it
7990458301_20d06f59df.jpg

The Range
7990405543_a602555488.jpg

Course Rating

Red Hawk Golf Club offers 6 different tee boxes that range from 7505 yards to 5505 yards so anyone can find a comfortable or challenging tee box for their game. The slope rating as determined by the USGA is shown below

Spoiler
Tee NameGenderSlope RatingYardages
BlackMen74.9/1337505
GoldMen73.0/1297175
RedMen70.9/1266695
BlueMen68.2/1246080
BlueWomen73.4/1336080
WhiteWomen70.0/1225505

Pricing

The prices for this course are quite reasonable, this is the most expensive course in town, but the price includes a cart, as well as wonderful service from the employees at the course. The employees pick up the golf bags and load them on the gas powered cart and they clean off each persons clubs when they return from their round. The course also has various seasonal specials such as family night, couples night and other special promotions.

These promotions can be found here:

http://golflascruces.com/2012-weekly-summer-activities/

Spoiler

Green FeeStandard RateSenior (65+)Active MilitaryStudentTwilight
Monday-Thursday$30$20$20$20$20
Friday-Sunday and Hoidays$40$30$30$30$30
Cart Rental (Each Person)$16$16$16$16$10

The Golf Carts
The golf carts are quite large and are gas powered. They can easily accommodate large staff bags and they feature a built in ball cleaner and club cleaner.

Spoiler

Golf Cart

7990743965_03aa237d78.jpg

Golf Cart Bag area with large Staff bag
7990753692_fdfb93d089.jpg

Newest addition ball and club cleaner

7990741923_9d1f3bb6eb.jpg

Course App and Animated Flyover

Red Hawk golf club developed a free android and iphone app that can be used as a golf GPS to help golfers with their yardages. They also have an animated course flyover so golfers can see holes in detail and have their plan of attack ready before they play. I find these to be very helpful and I frequently use them before I go play the course.

Spoiler

Course App

cgtqkraGPOEnGjjvKyNIfw-temp-upload.skidbrpw.320x480-75.jpg

Animated Flyover Example

7990768387_27ab8d3f49.jpg

Course App can be downloaded here:
http://golflascruces.com/download-the-red-hawk-golf-club-app/

Course Animated Flyover Can be found here:
http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/RHW_redhawk/

Hole By Hole Tips

Hole 1-Par 4:

Spoiler

Yardages:
Black:428
Gold:407
Red:385
Blue:358
White:327

Be careful hitting the driver off of this tee. Although the Fairway is wide and open, the fairway is guarded by one of 5 lakes on the left and several large bunkers on the right. Landing correctly on the landing area will leave an open approach from the left of the green but careful with the uneven lies on the right!

7990502586_c1648bd2c9.jpg

Hole 2-Par 4

Spoiler

Yardages:

Black:447
Gold:429
Red:396
Blue:366
White:329

A large landing area on the left makes this hole great for the driver, go ahead and tee off with the big dog.
In my experience, the fairway slopes from right to left so aiming at the right of the fairway can give you extra roll but be careful with the deep rough!

7990553903_8881e4ac08.jpg

Hole 3-Par 3
Spoiler

Yardages:
Black:242
Gold:226
Red:198
Blue:165
White:142

This Par 3 is one of my favorite holes, the green is large and but depending on the pin location, the large bunkers and water hazard on the right comes in to play. There is also a small bunker on the left side. A nice Hybrid or long iron will get the ball close to the hole.

7990584562_b3dca55df8.jpg

Hole 4-Par 4

Spoiler

Yardages:
Black:487
Gold:467
Red:443
Blue:394
White:365

A long Par 4 that has a large open landing area. This hole has a bunker on the left as well as an elevated green. the Fairway slopes from right to left. Be careful with the strong winds, they really affect the ball flight on this hole, be prepared to take the wind into play when choosing what club to use off the tee.

7990600330_a1437508b7.jpg

Hole 5-Par 5

Spoiler

Yardages:

Black:601
Gold:578
Red:542
Blue:501
White:465

This par 5 is a long downhill hole, that has a large fairway bunker on the right and also slopes right to left so playing the slope carefully will give you extra distance. Accuracy is a must on this hole so if the choice is between the driver and a 3 wood, choose the one that will be more accurate. The tees are slightly elevated which will be beneficial if a fairway wood is used off the tee. The Green is large and the approach area is also large but be careful with the bunkers on the right and a small bunker in the left.

7990608217_3409252671.jpg

Hole 6-Par 4

Spoiler

Yardages:

Black:347
Gold:331
Red:303
Blue:276
White:253

This is my favorite par 4 on the front 9, the lake on hole 3 comes in to play on the right this time. The fairway slopes from left to right and hitting in the center of the fairway can result in a ball bouncing into the water. There are also numerous bunkers at the end of the landing area which makes it risky using a driver off the tee. I would suggest a fairway wood or a long iron/hybrid to avoid the bunkers on the back. Careful with the approach shot to the green, the narrow green drops off into the water.

7990652410_43a605c5d4.jpg

Hole 7-Par 3

Spoiler

Yardages:

Black:177
Gold:159
Red:141
Blue:118
White:97

Another tricky Par 3, the round green is protected by water on the left, the back and by a large series of bunkers on the right and on the front. Hitting a short iron will allow a GIR but, be careful everything bounces to the water since the fairway slopes to the right. Also it is possible to roll the ball off the green into the water if not careful.

7990666302_1abf2e6ab1.jpg

Hole 8-Par 5

Spoiler

Yardages:
Black:576
Gold:553
Red:526
Blue:482
White:440

Hole 8 is a tough Par 5 with bunkers on the right and left of the landing area. This hole plays slightly uphill and a large bunker guards the left of the green while a couple of deep bunkers guard to right as well as the deep rough on the back right of the green.

7990672821_5e0d18c4b6.jpg

Hole 9-Par 4

Spoiler
Yardages:
Black:474
Gold:456
Red:428
Blue:390
White:353

The 9th hole is an awesome finishing hole. The view of the nearby mountains and desert is astonishing. The water from hole 1 comes back into play and the fairway slopes from right to left. The landing area is large so a driver is a great club to use safely off the tee. There are various bunkers in the right of the fairway and the green is tucked away on the left. This is one of the larger greens of the course and it has bunkers guarding the right.

7990692715_815f759a49.jpg

The wide open fairways with the thickest rough I've seen and the deepest bunkers I've played made this course extremely difficult.
The fact that this course is nestled in the middle of the treacherous desert makes it both dangerous and peaceful, it's strangely quiet most of the time. Although it is not on the ocean, the high winds and various bodies of water makes it a beautiful links style golf course. This rough is so thick that you seriously have to take a penalty and drop because locating the ball can be extremely hard.

overall I was really impressed by this course and even at $50 a person, I believe it is still worth playing here regularly. Anyone who travels through this area should stop and play at Red hawk!

Pros:
Beautiful course
open fairways
gas carts
free iPod app
Great Practice Facility

Cons:
Deep Deep Rough
Expensive Rates
Long holes
High Winds
Water
Tall wide bunkers

Miscellaneous Photographs of the Course

Spoiler

Approaching the club house through the desert

7990785660_eb958c6443.jpg

The club house

7990811854_9fe13cda6f.jpg

Beautiful Desert Landscape

7990786686_04b83bee5d.jpg

The pin at the 8th hole

7990780625_0f9305a2d4.jpg

The fairway of hole 3

7990781491_58ce2c5cd4.jpg

The Large Green on the 8th hole

7990782453_b5e937989f.jpg

The manmade water hazard on the 9th hole

7990783495_675923d936.jpg

The contrast of the rough and fairway

7990791812_42bbcb7714.jpg

The beautiful Mountains
7990785471_c4a2cf2ae3.jpg

The 7th Green with the Organ Mountains behind

7990786457_71c549a0c0.jpg

The rough that surrounds the course

7990809102_741c809c09.jpg

A video of the landscape

Last edited:
Dude that course looks friggin' awesome.

Oh, and if that's an expensive course..you're so lucky. Those are great rates.

Those rates are awesome for that course.. Try finding something in California for under $60 with a cart on the weekend. Hard to do unless you go muni, and most of the time Id rather go to the driving range...

Yeah I was impressed, $50-$60 is nothing and if I walk it's 25 and the monday special is $10 I can't beat that. I found my new monday golf place! It was a really hard course to play the rough was so thick and solid contact was almost impossible!

Oh, and if that's an expensive course..you're so lucky. Those are great rates.

Yeah the most I've ever paid here at a course was $60 we have it good down here haha look at me complaining about a $50 green fee!

I've played there a couple of times, and it is TOUGH! The only flat spots are the tee boxes. The short game practice area is great too, I have spent some time there. It is really a nice setup.

Expensive? I pay that for the terrible courses around here. The good ones are 75+.

Man, I can't even play a goattrack for those prices and that course looks amazing. Gonna be in Santa Fe in October, might have to drop down and check it out

Uriel, that is a beautiful course! The old "oasis in the desert" look.

Those rates really aren't bad, pretty normal for around here... Even on the lower side if compared to the fancier places in Dallas.

On a side note, just looked at where you lived - I lived in Cruces as a kid, then Albuquerque in my early 20s.

I was out there over Memorial Day w/e and my dad took me to look at the course. It is very pretty with the mountains/desert backdrops. For that part of the country, $50 is pricey for golf. The cost of living down there is some of the lowest in the US.

The interesting thing I noticed was the fairway grass, which is a bent/blue hybrid. It's not grainy and basically grows straight up. I didn't get a chance to play. But, hope to next time I'm in LC.

How would you LC/El Paso folks compare this to Painted Dunes? That is a nice track, also.

Last edited:
Very nice looking course. This is a picture I took from when I experienced NM golf for the first time last year. Sandia Golf Club...

NewMexico006.jpg

How would you LC/El Paso folks compare this to Painted Dunes? That is a nice track, also.

I enjoy Dunes quite a bit. Red Hawk is quite a bit more difficult in my opinion, and since it is more expensive, it doesn't seem to get as much traffic, so It tends to play faster as long as you are good enough to stay out of trouble! I actually think my 2 favorites in this area are Red Hawk and Butterfield Trail, but they are 2 of the most expensive in the area. I also like the NMSU course, and Sonoma Ranch, but depending on the day both of the last 2 get a lot of use and can be pretty backed up.

Uriel, that is a beautiful course! The old "oasis in the desert" look.

Those rates really aren't bad, pretty normal for around here... Even on the lower side if compared to the fancier places in Dallas.

On a side note, just looked at where you lived - I lived in Cruces as a kid, then Albuquerque in my early 20s.

That's awesome!

Yeah look at us complaining, we got it lucky down here! I can go to an of the courses for around $25 with a student rate it's pretty cool!

I really do think this course is worth playing it's really awesome

I'm going to play here again tonight, it's that fun and I'm going to the $10 with cart family night, it's really an awesome place to play at and it's worth the 30 minute drive into the desert.

I played there this past Wednesday. A beautiful course. I shot 88 from the blues (the white tees on most other courses) not good for me. I played target golf off the tee as bunkers can come into play on most par 4s and 5s. I had trouble on approach shots and around the green. I had more then 1 shot to the green hit a blind downslope. I seemed to miss the greens in worst spot for the pins. The greens are in great shape and some are difficult to read as they can take a completely different look from one side to the other. Not bad, just new to me. The rates are great for the golf course, $30 for a weekday. Thanks Uriel for the tip on Red Hawk.

I played there this past Wednesday. A beautiful course. I shot 88 from the blues (the white tees on most other courses) not good for me. I played target golf off the tee as bunkers can come into play on most par 4s and 5s. I had trouble on approach shots and around the green. I had more then 1 shot to the green hit a blind downslope. I seemed to miss the greens in worst spot for the pins. The greens are in great shape and some are difficult to read as they can take a completely different look from one side to the other. Not bad, just new to me. The rates are great for the golf course, $30 for a weekday. Thanks Uriel for the tip on Red Hawk.

It's really one of the best courses to play in the area, it's really entertaining but it's real hard to play if the distance to the landing areas aren't judged properly and the greens are some of the most treacherous greens I've ever seen. Hitting the wrong area can result in a ball bouncing into the desert, the rough, or off the green entirely.The other thing I've noticed there is that hitting the wrong area on the green leaves a massive slope up or down.

I love this course and it's real worth the drive.

this par 3 is the hardest i've played, i've hit the green and it bounced off into the water or sand or rolled off the back into the water since it's an island green basically
7659743466_3b63eab277.jpg

I realized the hard way that a rangefinder is a must on this course!

If Red Hawk was 30 minutes closer to my home, it would be my home course. Fort Bliss, with two 18 hole courses that are in great shape is still Home. I look forward to playing Red Hawk again.

Yeah me too, even their practice facility is one of the best that I've seen in this area, a designated putting area with two huge greens, and a huge designated short game practice are as well as all sorts of bunkers, it's such a great course to practice in but unfortunately there are two other courses that are still closer to me than red hawk so I practice at the other two.

The contraction doesn't help either in that area cause it adds another 5-10 minutes of driving time.

Here is a link to all the hole by hole tips in case anyone ever plays there

http://golflascruces.com/course-tips/

such a pretty course though!
1339789898_1391_Capture.JPG

oh my dear Lord... next summer i'm driving to New Mexico with: my wallet, my clubs, a sleeping bag, and a pillow.. that's all there is to it.

oh my dear Lord... next summer i'm driving to New Mexico with: my wallet, my clubs, a sleeping bag, and a pillow.. that's all there is to it.

Yeah dude, it's the best golf course around, it's really hard but such a great experience

Yeah dude, it's the best golf course around, it's really hard but such a great experience

i could use a challenge.. courses around there just look so beautiful... hopefully by then i'll have cured the snap-hook that creeps up one me once and a while, so i won't even have to worry about the snakes..

Back