Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

So the sole of the C200 looks a lot like the D100. Any comments to that from the testers? Sure wish W/S would list the offset of their clubs. Would answer some questions for me. The Aldila Rogue Pro shaft at 85gm seems heavy. Yes/No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the sole of the C200 looks a lot like the D100. Any comments to that from the testers? Sure wish W/S would list the offset of their clubs. Would answer some questions for me. The Aldila Rogue Pro shaft at 85gm seems heavy. Yes/No?

Really different to me than the D100s. Really really different for me.
The Shaft feels pretty decent. It was not too heavy or too light and seems to be perfectly well made for the head.

I was fortunate to be part of the group of THP’ers who were the first to experience the new C200 iron line from Wilson Staff at #StaffProto event, October 2015.
Thank you to Wilson Staff Golf and THP for a wonderful opportunity.

The C200 irons are designated as Crossover irons, which is part of Wilson Staff’s Feel-Crossover-Distance organization of golf clubs.
The idea is that a large set of golfers can attain great results from the C200 set.

The C200 set we were provided consists of 4i-9i, plus PW and GW.

The 4i-6i have loft intervals of 3 degrees (22, 25, 28), and the 7i-GW are set at 4 degree intervals (32, 36, 40, 44, 48).

Compared to the other Wilson Staff crossover irons, the FG Tour F5, the C200 irons are about 2-3 degrees relatively stronger in loft.

FLX Face technology:

Wilson Staff (W/S) introduces their FLX Face technology, which is designed to minimize the number of contact points between the face of the club and the rest of the clubhead. The result from Wilson Staff is a face and clubhead where mass can be removed and redistributed for improved forgiveness and increased ball speed off the face.

The design implication of FLX Face technology is the use of ‘power holes’, which are then filled with a certain urethane compound. According to Wilson Staff, several materials were tested and evaluated before settling on a specific urethane compound.

Looks –

The face of the club is a mix of the dull metallic surface where the ball contact likely occurs, plus a chrome-like surface at the outer toe and heel sections. This sole of the club mimics this result in having a dull metallic surface bordered by shinier toe and heel sections.

The back cavity area is straightforward and simple, dominated in style by the black urethane insert and the W/S and C200 logos.

The topline is perhaps slightly thicker than my previous Wilson Mid-Size ProStaff irons (96’), but it is not unsightly or detrimental at all.

What is most obvious throughout the toe, sole, and topline sections are the areas of the ‘Power Holes’. At first, you certainly notice they exist, but a minimal effect, and then hardly notice them anymore.

c200_1_zpsboilkl7e.jpg

c200_3_zpshciatarj.jpg

c200_2_zpsisaahdmv.jpg

Progressive offset –

The C200’s do have a progressive offset design, and you can see the variation between the 7i and GW offset amounts pictured here.

c200_4_zpsj7dbty1q.jpg

My previous clubs had a larger, constant offset throughout the entire set, so shifting to a progressive offset style iron required a little adjustment on my part, but I adapted.

Shaft / Grip –

My set consisted of the KBS Tour 90 steel shafts in regular flex. Other options included Stiff in steel, plus new Aldila Rogue graphite iron shafts. While I preferred the steel shafts, others at #StaffProto tested and opted for the new Aldila graphite shafts for irons based on their fittings.

I was fitted for a standard length and standard lie.

I elected for grips the standard Lamkin Crossline Black with a white W/S logo near the top. I really like these grips ever since I bought my Tour M3 hybrid last summer, great comfort and good tackiness for a grip.

c200_grip_zps3xe4fsdf.jpg

On Course Results:

Distance –

To preface, I should note that the results below were using the ball I prefer to play, the W/S Duo Spin.

As others and I have stated before, these irons just launch the ball…..far…..
For one particular shot during our round with W/S at #StaffProto, I decided on a GW from 120yd out, into a slight wind. The ball resisted the wind and went farther than I ever expected, over the green to the next tee box, almost taking out a W/S staff person during their swing (again, my apologies to Mr. Vrska).

Over the next few weeks I went the driving range and also on course, intentionally using my laser rangefinder to verify distances. Some rounds, every iron shot was ranged to the pin to see how my iron shots carried and where the ball ended up upon roll-out. I took my rangefinder output as being accurate; many times double checking with my GPS and course markers when available.

My distances are not quite dialed in, and for me initially seemed to bunch up as I neared the 200yd mark.
For reference, my previous irons I averaged my 9i at ~150yd, 7i at ~175yd, and 5i at ~195yd.

Based on my recent rounds and ranging the distance, these are the approximate distances I am getting for what I consider normal iron shots (not flubbed, topped, fat, thin, shanked or kicked out of frustration).

GW – 140yd
PW – 155yd
9i – 165yd
8i - 175yd
7i – 185yd
6i -195yd
5i – 205yd

Overall, the C200 irons exceeded my expectations in terms of distance. In addition, I feel that this was ‘easier distance’, meaning I did not have to push for it, I instead focused on a smoother swing and let the club (and ball) do the rest.
My older clubs I could achieve decent distance (compared to other individuals I played with), but had to work for it. With the C200’s, a less muscled effort, yet more distance.

Ball Flight / Height –

My initial concerns about changes in ball flight and overall ball height with the C200 were quickly abated.
I had previously tried the D200 irons at a demo day, seeing what looked like a very penetrating flight and a ball that just launched liked a driver tee shot. I did not like this in my iron shots.
The C200’s seemed to have a slightly more penetrating ball flight compared to my older Wilson clubs, but I could not tell a difference in overall ball height. A nice, high arcing ball flight after a slight initial penetrating ball. This is what I prefer the see and have with my iron shots.

In effect, I get all the benefits of a longer distance club with none of the drawbacks of a reduced ball height.

A more skillful player may have better success to keep the ball down low on demand, but I prefer to just try hitting the ball straight, high, and with a nice steep descent for a better landing. However, I did try once using the 4i on a punch shot under some branches, and I have always found punch shots to be difficult at times to keep low.
With the C200 4i, probably the best punch shot I can recall.

With a high ball flight, I was concerned about wind playing a major factor, but the ball seemed to hold its intended line much more than I expected on a few windy days. Since I have been playing the same type of ball consistently, this keeps me confident in taking a more aggressive line to the green in the presence of wind.

Sound and shot feedback –

The sound of the iron shots, both well-struck and even thin are dull thwack, not a loud crack, and not ear cringing (like my driver sometimes) in any way. Just a nice muted thwack sound that makes you think ‘that’s on’ every time.

Feeling feedback on a mishit is there, and I am by no means a consistent iron striker.
Due to my own swing tendencies of bottoming out just before the ball (instead of after), I usually have mishit shots as fat and/or off the toe, rarely on the heel. Near toe strikes do give some feedback, but the ball continues to go a good deal of intended distance, and not nearly as off the desired line as expected.
I also hit some thin shots. You will feel a thin shot, but the effect was not as pronounced as what I am used to. Likely not as much feedback as a really low-handicapper player may prefer, but enough for anyone to tell it was not your best swing.

Forgiveness –

All I am going to say is that no matter where the ball connects on the face for me, center or toe, the ball will have some juice to it.

Spin –

I am not great at getting good spin. I have struggled the past few seasons with ball-first strikes, and tend to bottom out just before hitting the ball. However, I do get some spin at times and with a high ball flight (thus steep descent), the ball will hold greens. See below a picture I previously posted. 9i at 170yd (some wind at back).
A better iron striker should impart better spin than I, and should get better holds or even spinning back some shots.

C200_9i-170yd_spin_zpsmobnrudn.jpg

Workability -

I prefer to maintain an approach of ‘just hit it straight’ with my iron shots, but have made it a point to attempt working the ball around trees when possible with these irons. Mostl tried 5/7i with slight draw around trees to get back into the fairway or front of green. The possibility is there for working the ball, but I prefer to achieve straighter type shots.

Durability –

I have played several rounds since receiving the clubs, plus a number of times at the range. They have blemishes and marks after playing, yes; you can see them in my pictures. The clubs seem not to mind, and continue to hit the ball well. Urethane insert has no blemishes or any issues at all from what I can tell. They clean up well and maintain their great look.

Final Thoughts:

• These C200 irons are a serious contender for anyone contemplating a new iron set. I think with a proper fitting, and decent instruction, these clubs can work for new beginners. These are the kind of clubs I would want if I was a beginner all over.
    Effortless distance and height is what I think of with these clubs.
    I am sure that the better players would certainly find these to be equally a great addition to their bag.
    Individuals with slower swing speeds will benefit, both in distance and ball height and a more consistent iron striker than me could find the C200’s as pure gold.

• With my distance gains being far more than expected, I need to invest in more wedges. Hitting a PW almost 160yd just astounds me now, as it does everyone who has played with me since mid-October.

• I am now a serious convert to proper club fitting. Due to my own swing faults, my fitting did not see a benefit to altering the lie or shaft length from standard lengths. However, after seeing other THPer’s go through fitting and slightly struggle with the stock setup, then to have the lie and length adjusted such that they can hit straight and far every single time. Wow.
    Anyone considering the C200’s should not only test them, but consider getting fitted because it does make a difference.

Last edited:
Molten....that was a great review. Very comprehensive, humorous, well done.

Looking at the price be point on these has me seriously considering them. I need to hit them some, but seems like they certainly deserve a look see for anyone looking at irons.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I can't guarantee anything, but I would be surprised if the C200s didn't help most games. At the very worst, it can double as a true distance iron with a touch more feedback. The price point is pretty good too - and if you go graphite you are getting them at a steal. W/S confirmed this.

Can anyone who's hit other irons with the slot type technology such as the Speedblades or RSi1s/2s comment on the feel & sound differences?

I know that in the short time I had the Speedblades (which I didn't really hit any better than my D100s, but pure shots went further) I noticed that the longer irons had a distinct sound & feel to them vs the shorter irons. Curious to know if there's that distinct pop sound on certain hits with the C200s.

These are really two different sets of technology. The slots are quite different from the power holes - they look different and achieve their respective goal in different ways. There is a fairly distinct sound to them (at least I think) but in a good way. They sound way better than the Ping's I used to play and good lord way better than the clubs for few guys that I play with.

Not many clubs have BETTER feel (many might be the same) but the C200 will not feel like a well struck forged blade iron.

Really different to me than the D100s. Really really different for me.
The Shaft feels pretty decent. It was not too heavy or too light and seems to be perfectly well made for the head.

How were they so different?

How were they so different?

The sole design for starts is quite different, especially in how it interacts with contact. Then the feel/sound is completely different. This is the first time they have ever really put something like this technology wise on the table and it really shows how well it was done.

Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

The sole design for starts is quite different, especially in how it interacts with contact. Then the feel/sound is completely different. This is the first time they have ever really put something like this technology wise on the table and it really shows how well it was done.

I work 10 Minutes from the Wilson HQ. Got a find a way to get over there and get fit for a set.

Last edited:
I work 10 Minutes from the Wilson HQ. Got a find a way to get over there and get fit for a set.

I'd be there everyday.

I asked what they charge when you went to HQ for a fitting. They mentioned that they didn't. Don't quote me on that but I was in disbelief. That's where this company shines. Let's get guys fitted right and not charge them a bunch to do it.

If I was the other major players in the golf equipment game, I would be looking over my shoulder right now. W/S is coming and they're not slowing down.

Last edited:
I'd be there everyday.

I asked what they charge when you went to HQ for a fitting. They mentioned that they didn't. Don't quote me on that but I was in disbelief. That's where this company shines. Let's get guys fitted right and not charge them a bunch to do it.

If I was the other major players in the golf equipment game, I would be looking over my shoulder right now. W/S is coming and they're not slowing down.

Which is what I'm hoping for. I mean, isn't that what it's there for? I guess you might tick off the PGATOUR stores and pro shops around the area if you did it too much. I have had a brief dealing with Duffy and I PM via Twitter to him begging him to fit me. Offered to donate to his favorite charity for his time. Haven't got a response back, but it's the Holiday time of the year.

Which is what I'm hoping for. I mean, isn't that what it's there for? I guess you might tick off the PGATOUR stores and pro shops around the area if you did it too much. I have had a brief dealing with Duffy and I PM via Twitter to him begging him to fit me. Offered to donate to his favorite charity for his time. Haven't got a response back, but it's the Holiday time of the year.

Duffy is a pretty busy fellow. Fortunately there are other excellent fitters on staff. I think several of my fellow #StaffProto THPers will attest to that.

Duffy is a pretty busy fellow. Fortunately there are other excellent fitters on staff. I think several of my fellow #StaffProto THPers will attest to that.

Yes sir. Between tour and PGA Show coming up, he is not in a whole lot right now.
We will see him in a couple of weeks and plan on some killer content coming from them about gear and of course the upcoming 2016 THP Event with them.

I hoped to hit these yesterday. Unfortunately they weren't in my home club's shop just yet, the empty rack with the C200 label just taunted me :)

Really liking the additional reviews. I might be making my way to the super store, today, just hoping they have the C200s and some of the other new W/S gear ready to go.

I hoped to hit these yesterday. Unfortunately they weren't in my home club's shop just yet, the empty rack with the C200 label just taunted me :)

If I had my bag with me, I would snap a quick pic and taunt you further :alien:
It'll be worth the wait!

Really liking the additional reviews. I might be making my way to the super store, today, just hoping they have the C200s and some of the other new W/S gear ready to go.

Hopefully they have all the new gear on hand and ready to demo. There's a whole lot of goodness coming out of Chicago this month.

Rusty, just read your stuff on these irons, your summary was perfect and your pics were perfect as well. These new Wilson C 200 irons are packed with tons of new and interesting technology, they look great, peaked my interest and Wilson could be moving on up. Will be following the C 200 REVIEWS by all the testers.

Are any of the #staffproto guys lefties? I'm thinking a #callout is in order if yes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What are you currently gaming? I'll be posting my review today. I'll have some numbers for ya!

D100s
What are you currently gaming? I'll be posting my review today. I'll have some numbers for ya!

The topline is only something I noticed for the first nine of the first round. It looks better than the G25s that I was playing prior and the unique look is exactly why someone should give it a look. My view - if someone wants to see the same topline that every other iron has, it might just perform the same as every other iron. Different is good (my mom told me so).

Great review! Congrats on the 79!!!
I gave up on the G25' due to the offset.
The offset looks to be less than the G25 or at least better disguised?

Your thoughts?

D100s

I'm gonna have some Informative numbers and grids for ya bud! My other set is Taylormade Rsi1s

Great review!
I gave up on the G25' due to the offset.
The offset looks to be less than the G25 or at least better disguised?

Your thoughts?

There is still some offset that is noticeable in the longer irons but it really has never bothered me. I can post side by side comparisons if you want - any irons in particular you would want to see?

Most excelente.
I'm gonna have some Informative numbers and grids for ya bud! My other set is Taylormade Rsi1s

Do the C200 have increasing size and offset the further you get into the long irons?

Back