Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

I hit my 15.5* back to back with the 12* 1.5 Mini and Aeroburner Mini Drivers and the Cleveland was 10 yards longer than the Aeroburner and only 10 yards shorter than the Callaway 1.5 Mini. They are such a solid and underrated wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Dave! Definitely underrated, such a solid head. Its funny because what began as trepidation when I built the 3w head up and handed it to my 1-bag has become a go to for him off the tee. The kid has distance in spades so this at the distance we play most courses still puts him right in scoring range. Its been a ton of fun to watch.

Nice Dave! Definitely underrated, such a solid head. Its funny because what began as trepidation when I built the 3w head up and handed it to my 1-bag has become a go to for him off the tee. The kid has distance in spades so this at the distance we play most courses still puts him right in scoring range. Its been a ton of fun to watch.

I'm seriously considering getting the 14* version to replace the 15.5* just might give me enough to match my driver but more accurate.

Has anyone hit the 14 degree with the Miyazaki B Asha shaft in it what was the difference between the Miyazaki and the standard Matrix shaft

I'm seriously considering getting the 14* version to replace the 15.5* just might give me enough to match my driver but more accurate.

Ended up getting the 14 degree with the B Asha shaft not as long as my driver but a good 10 meters longer than the 15.5 degree but not so good off the deck for a slow swinger like myself.

Ended up getting the 14 degree with the B Asha shaft not as long as my driver but a good 10 meters longer than the 15.5 degree but not so good off the deck for a slow swinger like myself.

I'm not so surprised by this. I've had some 14 degree (and lower) FWs and it takes a long shaft for me to generate enough swing speed to really elevate them. They got relegated to tee only clubs where tee height aids in generating additional loft.

Really, I'm pleasantly surprised that so many have had success with the 588 in 15.5. I think it's a testament to the design on the club. I've not tried that loft, but experience with the 588 5 wood suggests the 3 wood might actually be playable by mere mortals. The 5w can really launch it and in a way that the head visually wouldn't suggest.

Finally settled on my fairway wood and hybrid set up,found the 5 wood to be more consistent than the 15.5* 3 wood and only 10 meters shorter, and found I hit the 7 wood better and more consistent than my 3 hybrid so went with it. As for the other hybrids went with the 4 and 5 as I hit them just a little better than my 4 and 5 588 Altitudes.

My 588 5w is the longest surviving club in my bag except for my wedges. That thing is just too trust worthy and consistent to even consider taking it out.

Haven't tried the 3 but I love the 5 wood. Got it a year ago from Cleveland preowned ebay for like $40 or $50.

Finally settled on my fairway wood and hybrid set up,found the 5 wood to be more consistent than the 15.5* 3 wood and only 10 meters shorter, and found I hit the 7 wood better and more consistent than my 3 hybrid so went with it. As for the other hybrids went with the 4 and 5 as I hit them just a little better than my 4 and 5 588 Altitudes.

That's how I played these when I had them in the bag. It was a great combo. The 18 degree 5W was kind of a monster.

Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

Just bought the 588 5 wood. Had one driving range session yesterday and it hit it well. Played today and hit it four times and crushed them all about 250. It's easy to hit both off the tee and turf. I feel like I stole this for $40!!

Last edited:
Just bought the 588 5 wood. Had one driving range session yesterday and it hit it well. Played today and hit it four times and crushed them all about 250. It's easy to hit both off the tee and turf. I feel like I stole this for $40!!

Congrats! That's a good buy. Supply on them has kind of dried up some. Really, it's a great club regardless of price point, particularly for the average to lower swing speed player who needs a little help with launch.

The most underrated thing about the FW to me is the impact sound/feel. It feels like you've crushed the ball with a hammer, yet it isn't loud. Whenever I pick my 588 FWs up after a lay off, that's always the first thing that I remember as I hit them.

I've been using my 15.5* 3 wood off the tee for just about all par 4's the last 3 rounds. Have so much confidence in it right now. Favorite club in the bag. Hit so many fairways with it, and if I'm losing any yardage at all vs my driver, it's not much.

I've been using my 15.5* 3 wood off the tee for just about all par 4's the last 3 rounds. Have so much confidence in it right now. Favorite club in the bag. Hit so many fairways with it, and if I'm losing any yardage at all vs my driver, it's not much.

I have a 14* that I was using off the tee in place of my driver it was great the only thing that knocked it out if the bag was the Callaway Bertha Mini Driver that club is in a class of its own.

I have a 14* that I was using off the tee in place of my driver it was great the only thing that knocked it out if the bag was the Callaway Bertha Mini Driver that club is in a class of its own.

Slightly off topic, but if you like Mini drivers, try the Long Tom 2w. I think it's the most forgiving of the recent "Minis."

Slightly off topic, but if you like Mini drivers, try the Long Tom 2w. I think it's the most forgiving of the recent "Minis."

I don't think it would match the technology in the Bertha Mini the distance you can get out of that cup face and composite head is awesome as well as being forgiving.

Back